Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

5 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

It's roughly the same size as the 10030, I think, but it's not based on the set and has a very different design.  The much higher part count basically comes from the tiles, greebles, support structure, and interior (which includes two cute little TIEs).  Like other things I build, it's intended to mix aesthetics with a bit of playability -- we'll see if that appeals to anyone in the "adults with $1000 to blow on Lego" demo lol.

Anyway, I haven't taken any pics of the final exterior yet, and it's in a state of partial disassembly for the purposes of making instructions.  So uh, hang tight for a month or so--I dunno exactly--and we'll show everything off all at once.  But since we're now working on legolijntje's side of things, it's definitely on its way.

Nice! So, not the Tyrant? Smaller?

Nice! So, not the Tyrant? Smaller?

Right, it's about 2/3 of the length of the Tyrant.  It's basically as close to it and as big as I realistically thought I could go.

I mean, there really is a huge difference in volume between a ~20-inch Star Destroyer (75055), a ~37-inch one (UCS), and a ~56-inch one (Tyrant), since volume goes up by a power of three with each increase in length.  In other words, if a Star Destroyer is 2x as long as another one, it's got literally 8x the volume (and 8x the parts, if the building style is similar).

So, three 75055s in a row are longer than the Tyrant, but the total mass/parts wouldn't even be close.  This pic (of the Tyrant, not the new one) might illustrate the difficulties that going bigger would pose.

Edited by Raskolnikov

20 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

It's roughly the same size as the 10030, I think, but it's not based on the set and has a very different design.  The much higher part count basically comes from the tiles, greebles, support structure, and interior (which includes two cute little TIEs).  Like other things I build, it's intended to mix aesthetics with a bit of playability -- we'll see if that appeals to anyone in the "adults with $1000 to blow on Lego" demo lol.

Anyway, I haven't taken any pics of the final exterior yet, and it's in a state of partial disassembly for the purposes of making instructions.  So uh, hang tight for a month or so--I dunno exactly--and we'll show everything off all at once.  But since we're now working on legolijntje's side of things, it's definitely on its way.

I loved building your plus size AT-AT.  It used easy to get pieces, excellent instructions and excellent building technique.

If those 3 are included again with the Tyrant, count me in for sure for building it!

15 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

I loved building your plus size AT-AT.  It used easy to get pieces, excellent instructions and excellent building technique.

If those 3 are included again with the Tyrant, count me in for sure for building it!

Well, I'll try to make the instructions as excellent as possible :wink: 

As far as building technique's go, I haven't build it in real life (and I probably never will, at least not in the foreseeable future), but from what I've seen so far, it's built very well (in my opinion at least). And regarding the pieces... Well, I don't think I've seen any really rare pieces so far, but the amount of certain pieces...

Looking forward to this one, from the sound of it it's going to be really awesome!

Hopefully I can save enough to build it in real life, or I will have to wait  for a 6211 scale one or the Constrictor instructions if you will ever release them.

5 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Right, it's about 2/3 of the length of the Tyrant.  It's basically as close to it and as big as I realistically thought I could go.

I mean, there really is a huge difference in volume between a ~20-inch Star Destroyer (75055), a ~37-inch one (UCS), and a ~56-inch one (Tyrant), since volume goes up by a power of three with each increase in length.  In other words, if a Star Destroyer is 2x as long as another one, it's got literally 8x the volume (and 8x the parts, if the building style is similar).

So, three 75055s in a row are longer than the Tyrant, but the total mass/parts wouldn't even be close.  This pic (of the Tyrant, not the new one) might illustrate the difficulties that going bigger would pose.

I think that size is about as good as you could possibly do.  9,000 pieces is still a monstrosity, and even for the small percentage of us that can build it, that's a unicorn build.  Unless I get a bigger house nothing would top that :)

On 5/8/2017 at 9:27 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Wow, that's amazing. Nice use of the DS halves for engines

So cool. Another fabulous MOC I need to have a go at recreating. Thanks for making instructions! 

The ATAT was given a prestigious spot.

I have a theoretical spot picked out for the mini-Tryrant as well ;)

34588549395_07afa705e8_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, Schneeds said:

I have a theoretical spot picked out for the mini-Tryrant as well ;)

[snip]

That's a beautiful picture! :wub:

Also on another (kinda off-topic) note: I'm not too familiar with the really detailed Star Wars information. So, I was wondering how the Tyrant compares to other Star Destroyers. You know, a bit of background information. So I googled 'Star Wars Tyrant' and if you do that in Google images, most of the results are from Raskolnikov's Lego Tyrant (big version) :laugh:

I'm mostly familiar with the Tyrant from the Star Wars Decipher card game back in the day (still have the card).  According to the card, the Captain was Cpt. Lennox, who you see in Empire.  I would be tempted to modify the Tyrant into the Devastator, which is the first Star Destroyer we ever see on screen, capturing the Tantive IV.

I built an AT-AT!

34253316820_ce6efbd41f_z.jpg
Plus Size AT-AT by James Shields, on Flickr

I had it at a small event in Ireland, and some stormtroopers stopped by:

34496436442_28443a20bd_z.jpg

Stormtrooper: "I used to ride around in one of those. They were great. Then the rebels figured out they could pull them down with a tow cable around the legs. I got out of that gig pretty fast."

Thanks to Raskolnikov for sharing the design, and to Legolijntje for the instructions.

James

@lostcarpark Ireland now too, how about that?  It certainly gets around.  Thanks for the pics, and give my compliments to the stormtrooper should you ever have the chance.  His getup looks every bit as good as the official movie costumes.

@Schneeds

I'll admit, my eye is more drawn to the interesting design of the wall behind it--must be a great place to watch movies.  In all seriousness, where can I get an apartment that has walls with some futuristic greebling, rather than just being flat and beige?   I think what I'd really like is Rick Deckard's apartment in Blade Runner, complete with ambient humming noises.

On to off-topic stuff!

Also on another (kinda off-topic) note: I'm not too familiar with the really detailed Star Wars information. So, I was wondering how the Tyrant compares to other Star Destroyers. You know, a bit of background information. So I googled 'Star Wars Tyrant' and if you do that in Google images, most of the results are from Raskolnikov's Lego Tyrant (big version)

I'm mostly familiar with the Tyrant from the Star Wars Decipher card game back in the day (still have the card).  According to the card, the Captain was Cpt. Lennox, who you see in Empire.  I would be tempted to modify the Tyrant into the Devastator...

Honestly, it's mostly just because I like the name.  In Star Wars canon, Tyrant is a not-very-well-known ship in Death Squadron that was temporarily disabled by the Ion Cannon at Hoth.  It's not settled in my own mind whether mine is intended to be THAT ship in a different time and place, or just a random Star Destroyer that's off doing typical Star Destroyer things.  Since I'm drawn more to "regular" Imperials going about the day-to-day business of the Empire, I didn't want to pick a more well known ship.

Also, you may know that Lucasfilm had two Star Destroyer studio models (the Devastator and then a new, larger one for Empire Strikes Back), which the books later explained as being two different ISD classes.  Amusingly, the ISD Tyrant is portrayed by both studio models in ESB--so its an ISD I when shown from the back and an ISD II in the close-ups when rebels fly past it.  It's a good little reminder not to take the details in the movies too seriously.  Anyway, my Tyrant and the mini-Tyrant are loosely based on the ISD II studio model, but modding wouldn't be difficult.

9 hours ago, Mamma Mia Bricks said:

Realistically, when do you think the new ISD will be ready to be seen?

The hype is real!

Not really sure about what Raskolnikov wants. As far as the instructions go, I think that'll take at least another month or so. It's quite a lot of bricks. The old estimate of ~8000 parts turned out to be very wrong. It's probably going to be closer to ~12K parts. Up to you if that's either good or bad :laugh:

7 hours ago, legolijntje said:

Not really sure about what Raskolnikov wants. As far as the instructions go, I think that'll take at least another month or so. It's quite a lot of bricks. The old estimate of ~8000 parts turned out to be very wrong. It's probably going to be closer to ~12K parts. Up to you if that's either good or bad :laugh:

I'm going to say that's a good thing :)

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know if a UCS style label was ever created for these larger AT-AT's? 

On 5/16/2017 at 7:09 PM, Raskolnikov said:

@lostcarpark Ireland now too, how about that?  It certainly gets around.  Thanks for the pics, and give my compliments to the stormtrooper should you ever have the chance.  His getup looks every bit as good as the official movie costumes.

There are two (that I'm aware of) in Ireland, the second by Davenocheese (finished a couple of evenings ago). Here they both are at a show in Naas Library, Kildare today (with my version of Brickdoctor's snowspeeder):

34626044191_c6db8a6342_z.jpg
T-47 Snowspeeder and Plus Size AT-ATs by James Shields, on Flickr

They'll both be in a larger Hoth diorama in Belfast later this year.

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing it.  Sharp looking snowspeeder, too. 

A lot of builders seem to be finding the AT-AT instructions useful when making larger dioramas, which is great -- just saw that three AT-ACT-modded versions will be appearing in another huge Scarif MOC:  

On 2017-5-17 at 3:43 PM, Schneeds said:

I'm going to say that's a good thing :)

Uhm... And what if it would be closer to around 15K? Still a good thing? :look: :grin:

14 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Sounds good, I look forward to seeing it.  Sharp looking snowspeeder, too. 

A lot of builders seem to be finding the AT-AT instructions useful when making larger dioramas, which is great -- just saw that three AT-ACT-modded versions will be appearing in another huge Scarif MOC:  

Holy shit! That thing is huge! *huh*

Cool to see though that your AT-AT seems to be a perfect fit for basically everyone apparently.

On 19/05/2017 at 11:57 PM, lostcarpark said:

There are two (that I'm aware of) in Ireland, the second by Davenocheese (finished a couple of evenings ago). Here they both are at a show in Naas Library, Kildare today (with my version of Brickdoctor's snowspeeder):

*snip*
T-47 Snowspeeder and Plus Size AT-ATs by James Shields, on Flickr

It was a fun build although a little rushed towards the end and I did run out of Light Bley wedge plates but I'm already looking forward to building a second! 

9 hours ago, legolijntje said:

Uhm... And what if it would be closer to around 15K? Still a good thing? :look: :grin:

I'd say it almost has to be significantly bigger than 10030... and still a good thing ;D

I'd say it almost has to be significantly bigger than 10030...

Nah, the piece count just adds up really quickly, I guess >.< 

In certain places, the 10030 might use a single 6x12 plate to get the job done--if I were to cover that with 2x4 tiles, it's 9 more pieces.  But then it'll be heavier, so I'll have to use an additional plate on the back of the panel.  Then exchange the simple support structure for a convoluted one that doesn't intrude on usable interior space while also supporting more weight...then add the interior...and some greebles...and suddenly you've got 5x the pieces!  Ah well.

and still a good thing ;D

Hope so!