Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

Yeah, the 10030 is really a display piece. Your ISD is some kind of hybrid between a beautiful display piece with all kinds of details out- and inside and an amazing playset with a full interior and a bunch of functions and features.
The minifig scale on the inside doesn't fit the outside scale at all though (obviously). Like @Theo van Vroenhoven said: it's like two models in one.

3 hours ago, Davenocheese said:

It was a fun build although a little rushed towards the end and I did run out of Light Bley wedge plates but I'm already looking forward to building a second! 

Man. So many people building multiple ones and here I am, having not even built a single one (well, not with real bricks anyway) :laugh:

18 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Nah, the piece count just adds up really quickly, I guess >.< 

In certain places, the 10030 might use a single 6x12 plate to get the job done--if I were to cover that with 2x4 tiles, it's 9 more pieces.  But then it'll be heavier, so I'll have to use an additional plate on the back of the panel.  Then exchange the simple support structure for a convoluted one that doesn't intrude on usable interior space while also supporting more weight...then add the interior...and some greebles...and suddenly you've got 5x the pieces!  Ah well.

I can't wait to see how you pulled this off.  How much do you think it weighs?

Thanks @Raskolnikovfor giving me my inspiration for this thing! I have designed a 3764 piece plus size atat! I did you some of your head viewport but besides that, it's all my design. It now stands proudly in my bedroom.

Also does have fully movable legs.

I really appreciate the beautiful instructions and all the time that went into designing this model. Currently building it right now, but there seems to be an error in the instructions. I was following the instructions perfectly, I heeded the warning on page 61 and continued to build. However, on page 66 the 2 submodels have flipped completely. I must have scratched my head for a half an hour trying to figure out where I went wrong, but the problem seems to be in the instructions. I had to do a good bit of backpedaling to get it to match the instructions going forward. Again, this is a fantastic design, but maybe the instructions could be amended so others don't run into the same problem. 

All that being said, am I crazy? Can the designer of the model or the instructions have a look and confirm? Thanks.

I can't see anything wrong with the instructions. Granted, the barely different sides can be confusing, but the instructions are correct:

• On page 61, the submodel without dishes is placed on the side with the hinge of the trapdoor.
  • On page 62, the submodel with dishes is placed on the site with the black technic piece; opposite to the hinge.
  • On page 66 step 17, the submodel with dishes is still opposite to the hinge.
  • On page 66 step 18, the submodel with dishes is still opposite to the hinge, but the view of the model has rotated to the other side.

I think the most error-prone page is page 60. If you place the submodel (from page 59) wrong, everything thereafter will be wrong too. I never noticed that page 60 is not very clear :sceptic:

Hope that clears things up a bit :grin:

Well, thank you, but something still doesn't seem right to me in there from 61 to 66. Could very well be user error on my part. 

Anyway, I got it sorted out and finished this glorious model. Thank you again for the beautiful instructions and to Raskolnikov for the awesome design!

OW7sqnt.jpg

^ Looks great!

Rask,

Any chance we'll be seeing mini-Tyrant pictures in the near future?

Edited by Schneeds

Anyway, I got it sorted out and finished this glorious model. Thank you again for the beautiful instructions and to Raskolnikov for the awesome design!

No problem, thanks for the reddit thread, too.  You guys seem to be able to take better pics of my AT-AT than I can...maybe I need to stop using the same settings for every pic :P

Not to make you paranoid, but just fyi I believe some of the cladding on the legs may be out of position.  It's probably fine, or it might just be mods on your part (I see you added some tiles and dark bluish gray pieces--the tiles look pretty good, too, I may do that myself), since a lot of people have altered the legs to enable them to bend backward at the knee.

Any chance we'll be seeing mini-Tyrant pictures in the near future?

Yep, it's just a matter of time--and I guess a matter of the weather in the Netherlands cooperating. @legolijntje  Those Europeans don't blast the AC in every building like we do, I hear.  Anyway, my plan's to make one post when it's all ready.

Just now, Raskolnikov said:

Yep, it's just a matter of time--and I guess a matter of the weather in the Netherlands cooperating. @legolijntje  Those Europeans don't blast the AC in every building like we do, I hear.  Anyway, my plan's to make one post when it's all ready.

:laugh: Well, it's raining now (and rain has been forecast for the next 2 weeks) so as far as the weather goes; it seems to cooperate just fine for now :wink:

4 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

a lot of people have altered the legs to enable them to bend backward at the knee.

A backwards-bent AT-AT knee makes me feel sick. 

On 6/27/2017 at 10:28 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Not to make you paranoid, but just fyi I believe some of the cladding on the legs may be out of position.  It's probably fine, or it might just be mods on your part (I see you added some tiles and dark bluish gray pieces--the tiles look pretty good, too, I may do that myself), since a lot of people have altered the legs to enable them to bend backward at the knee.

Yeah, I had the cladding in the correct position while building, but once it was finished and I tried to bend the legs, they started popping off. Seemed to be a stud too long somewhere. I had to move some up a stud and some down a stud to be able to bend the legs without them coming off. Again, probably an error on my part during the building, but I can't for the life of me figure out where I could have gone wrong. Nonetheless, it looks great on display!

Edited by rmoore

Just finished my AT-AT, thanks Raskolnikov! What a great build !  

Thanks for the great instructions Legolijntje

34816168993_862cc93c06.jpgLEGO AT-AT by Den Nan, on Flickr

Edited by Dennan

@Dennan Another great pic, looks almost like a render.  Did you desaturate?  I recently messed around with that in some pics and liked how it turned out.  Kinda makes the gray "pop."

@rmooreYeah, I wouldn't worry about it, whatever works for you :)  There is actually a minor parts clipping issue with the legs that is entirely fixable, but nobody has ever mentioned it to me, so I guess it doesn't bother people too much.  Nothing should be a full stud off or anything like that, though.

On 2017-6-30 at 3:59 PM, Raskolnikov said:

@Dennan Another great pic, looks almost like a render.  Did you desaturate?  I recently messed around with that in some pics and liked how it turned out.  Kinda makes the gray "pop."

Yes you are correct Raskolnikov, added some saturation to the photo for a more dramatic look :)