Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

That looks great! I'm due a couple of deliveries tomorrow from bricklink. One of which I ordered from Cavegod 10 days ago.... I don't think I should have told him what they were for, either that or he's a very busy guy!! lol

You guys are making me Jelous.. I have about 30% and waiting for after xmas to finish getting parts... 

Schneeds, is your build exact to the instructions? or did you make any changes?  this model is such a great model I will probably sell my other ATAT's

Other than the tips I listed on the previous page, the only changes I made were a couple minor cosmetic ones to the plating on the top of the cockpit.  I made a few detail mods inside the cockpit as well, but none that actually affected the build. 

A few pictures.

Thanks for those!  It's super cool to see another one built. 

The original MOC looks fantastic but I think my first mod is going to be lengthen the legs slightly and make the feet larger to boost the height another two inches. I don't know if that will be proportional yet.

Judging by your previous post about the AT-STs, you might have some specific height requirements that you're aiming for.  If not, though, you might find that the feet look a bit better in real life.  I think a lot of the pictures I took have the body or head of the walker close to the camera, which makes the feet look misleadingly small.  The side-on pic Schneeds took provides a pretty clear view of the real-life proportions:

2j3fzhl.jpg

They still may be a bit small, and improving them definitely is possible -- it'll just require some thought.  Anyway, curious to see what you do with it -- the more mods the better, imo.

Edited by Raskolnikov

13 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Judging by your previous post about the AT-STs, you might have some specific height requirements that you're aiming for.  If not, though, you might find that the feet look a bit better in real life.  I think a lot of the pictures I took have the body or head of the walker close to the camera, which makes the feet look misleadingly small.  The side-on pic Schneeds took provides a pretty clear view of the real-life proportions:

2j3fzhl.jpg

They still may be a bit small, and improving them definitely is possible -- it'll just require some thought.  Anyway, curious to see what you do with it -- the more mods the better, imo.

Oh I hope you don't take my meaning as detrimental in regards to your original model. As i've said before I think this AT-AT is one of the best i've ever seen in Lego and I would argue that its on par with Cavegod's monstrous Moc!

You are absolutely correct, i'm trying to widen the margin in the size of this next to my heavily mocified AT-ST that is nine inches tall. Even if it extends the proportions slightly too far I'm going to try and boost the AT-AT up at least an inch. Nothing too heavy, it will largely depend on what this next to my AT-ST looks like. 

So excited I got holiday pay so I may be able to order pieces today.    

Decided to join the hypetrain, loaded the partslist in BL and started sorting. Need 34 more parts for this to be complete :)

I will probably modify it into an AT-ACT if that's not to different (build wise, not color). Great stuff Raskolnikov

Edited by Kevii23

A couple of days ago I sent @Raskolnikov a message with the updated version of the instructions. He hasn't updated the Rebrickable page yet. I know there were a bunch of people here collecting the parts for the AT-AT, so just in case, here's a temporary download (until Raskolnikov updates the 'real' link) for the updated version of the instructions.

Btw, if you're reading this Raskolnikov: no worries. It's a busy time of the year :laugh: 

3 hours ago, legolijntje said:

A couple of days ago I sent @Raskolnikov a message with the updated version of the instructions. He hasn't updated the Rebrickable page yet. I know there were a bunch of people here collecting the parts for the AT-AT, so just in case, here's a temporary download (until Raskolnikov updates the 'real' link) for the updated version of the instructions.

Btw, if you're reading this Raskolnikov: no worries. It's a busy time of the year :laugh: 

Is the parts list essentially the same?

Going in reverse order here...

Is the parts list essentially the same?

Yeah, nothing to worry about.  At worst you'd end up with 4 extra $.01 pins.

He hasn't updated the Rebrickable page yet.

Lol, yeah, getting to it.  I was best man at a wedding this weekend... lots of festivities.  I'll get the update out there shortly, thanks for posting it in the meantime.

I will probably modify it into an AT-ACT if that's not to different (build wise, not color).

I would be interested in seeing that.  It wouldn't be too hard to incorporate different colors on the side, since it's just tiles over plates.  You could easily substitute tan tiles or something (that dark flesh or burnt orange color or whatever it's called might be best, if adequate pieces are available -- I think the bright orange might be too garish).

Oh I hope you don't take my meaning as detrimental in regards to your original model. As i've said before I think this AT-AT is one of the best i've ever seen in Lego and I would argue that its on par with Cavegod's monstrous Moc!

No offense taken at all haha, just musing about things on my own. 

(Not sure I agree about being on par with Cavegod's, though -- there are some phenomenal AT-AT builds out there, most of which seem to draw heavily from his.  Mine was always just intended to be a "serviceable" AT-AT for those who like LEGO's UCS sets, playable models, dioramas, or collecting Imperial forces, but who don't necessarily want to commit a ton of resources to build the next greatest AT-AT.  So feel free to suggest any improvements -- I may end up incorporating them onto my own pair of walkers.)

Updated instructions are now available at http://rebrickable.com/mocs/raskolnikov/plus-size-atat

If any of you are currently building an AT-AT, I recommend downloading these latest instructions, which include a number of minor tweaks and improvements and should incorporate most of the feedback that we've received so far. 

The parts list also has been updated, but the only change is that you need slightly fewer blue 1L technic pins.

Thanks again for the feedback, and if you notice any other issues with the build or instructions, let us know.

Edit (Dec. 21):  Either there's a technical issue with the rebrickable page or I'm not clicking something right, but for some people it's not displaying the updates to the parts list or instructions, and it's linking to an older version of the instructions.  If anyone's currently building the AT-AT, the most up-to-date instructions have "V5" at the end of the name of the pdf.  It can be downloaded directly here:  http://bricksafe.com/files/raskolnikov/plus-size-at-at/Plus-Size AT-AT - By Raskolnikov V5.pdf

Edited by Raskolnikov

DONE! Very impressive build! Perfectly on par to what Lego should finally turn into an official UCS set. Directions were great! I will probably add some more interior details only because my 6 year old son wants to add some snow speeder bikes, rappelling lines, and some "computer" screens. Hopefully, I can  snap some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for all your efforts and kind generousity for sharing how to make this awesome MOC!!!

Edited by mink66

26 minutes ago, mink66 said:

DONE! Very impressive build! Perfectly on par to what Lego should finally turn into a official UCS set. Directions were great! I will probably add some more interior details only because my 6 year old son wants to add some snow speeder bikes, rappelling lines, and some "computer" screens. Hopefully, I cam snap some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for all your efforts and kind generousity for sharing all the effort of making the awesome directions and building ability!!!

Thanks!  I'd love to see those pics.  I concur on the speeder bikes -- I stuffed one of those and an E-web into mine.

Btw, if you could do me a favor, could you go to the rebrickable page and tell me how many parts it says the AT-AT has?  It's like not everyone is seeing the same version of the webpage or something, very strange.  You can just send me a private message if you want.  If anyone else reading this wants to as well, I'd appreciate it. 

Edited by Raskolnikov

55 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Thanks!  I'd love to see those pics.  I concur on the speeder bikes -- I stuffed one of those and an E-web into mine.

Btw, if you could do me a favor, could you go to the rebrickable page and tell me how many parts it says the AT-AT has?  It's like not everyone is seeing the same version of the webpage or something, very strange.  You can just send me a private message if you want.  If anyone else reading this wants to as well, I'd appreciate it. 

2493 pcs.

ordered parts are currently on its way. very cool ATAT

6 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

I see 2493 parted too. Hope it's right as I'm also at the end of getting them together! It's the scala dishes in LBG that causing me the biggest problem!

Thanks, you are seeing the up-to-date version of the rebrickable page.  There's nothing to worry about with regard to the parts list either way, though.  (I.e., the newest version of the parts list just removed a couple extremely common and cheap technic pins.  I was only interested in the parts number because its an easy way to determine whether you're seeing updates to the page in general. Anyway, the issue sounds like it is resolved now.)

Hope you find those scala dishes.

ordered parts are currently on its way. very cool ATAT

Cool, hope you enjoy it.

I'm almost finished building, the work has stalled because of two 1x13 technic lift arms that haven't arrived yet, but wow! Wow! Pictures certainly do not do this model justice. I didnt think it was possible but I have gained newfound respect for both your skills as well as the work that went into the Tyrant as well as your other creations. The techniques involved in this...

I will say more once I finish the model, hopefully the shipment arrives before Christmas, but I am truly impressed. I don't have the shelf space required so its standing on the ground and my cats keep checking it out. I think they're a little put off that its taller then them. I just want to thank you for this wonderful creation and to legolijntje for the fantastic set of instructions. This has been a tough year personally so this had been a really incredible way to end it! Thank you both so much! 

It's great to hear and see all you people being so happy with the model. 
It was a bit of a quick side-project (for me at least) and I sure wasn't expecting so much enthusiasm from people and that so many people would actually build it.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words, it brings a smile to my face. But still, most the credit goes to Raskolnikov, he did most of the work.
And, because it's that time of the year; Merry Christmas to all of you! :classic:

When you put it next to the Sandcrawler like that it really brings home the scale. At 2,400 pieces it dominates it. 

My first AT-AT thanks to you

Cool, love that comparison shot with the Sandcrawler!

I'm almost finished building, the work has stalled because of two 1x13 technic lift arms that haven't arrived yet, but wow! Wow! Pictures certainly do not do this model justice.

Glad you like it even in better in person.  You get those lift arms in yet?  I'm hoping to see it make an appearance in some of your SoNE builds or dioramas -- although you'll definitely have your work cut out for you fitting it in frame, heh.

And, because it's that time of the year; Merry Christmas to all of you!

Looks like we're about to get an extra Christmas present, too, since the AT-AT is about to win the rebrickable contest for December.  How about that?

Sorry for the dumb question is there an easy way to subtract 75054 pieces if I want to disassemble it for this build? Or are people mostly doing this project from scratch?

49 minutes ago, Dukeside said:

Sorry for the dumb question is there an easy way to subtract 75054 pieces if I want to disassemble it for this build?

Yep, rebrickable has a feature that shows you what you can build with the parts from dismantled sets:  https://rebrickable.com/pick_set?p=1&s1=75054-1&s2=&s3=&c=1&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1&theme=008&numpieces=2400&maxpieces=5050&year=2009&yearto=2016&inc_custom=1&inc_premium=1&sortby=0

Clicking on the Plus-Size AT-AT at the bottom of that page then should show you what additional parts you'd need:  https://rebrickable.com/build_set?s=MOC-6006&ov=1&s1=75054-1&s2=&s3=&c=1&ignore_print=1&ignore_mold=1&ignore_alt=1&ignore_minifig=1&ignore_nonlego=1

There still are a lot of parts to purchase even when scrapping a 75054, but most of them should be pretty cheap (well, apart from the scala dishes).

Finished this beastie this morning. :wub:

31973452126_2a58d8ab11_o.jpg

Wow, I love it! It's bigger than my cat. :grin:

Thanks again, guys, for sharing this amazing MOC for others to build. :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by manglegrat