Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

Hey all,

Some of you asked for instructions for my plus size AT-AT, so I took some pictures while I was building a second one and turned that into "instructions."  The "instructions" are available here:  http://imgur.com/gallery/yz9YO  There are about 150 pictures, but it may be a challenge to follow.  So good luck!  If you have any questions or modifications or improvements, feel free to let me know.

EDIT (Nov. 20, 2016):  Legolijntje used the pictures I took to create some professional-quality .pdf instructions, available for free download here:  http://rebrickable.com/mocs/raskolnikov/plus-size-atat  I recommend that you use these -- much easier than following the previous photo "instructions," I'm sure.

EDIT (Dec. 21, 2016):  Updated instructions are available at:  http://bricksafe.com/files/raskolnikov/plus-size-at-at/Plus-Size AT-AT - By Raskolnikov V5.pdf

Pics of the finished model are in the original thread, here:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/142646-at-at-moc-plus-sized-but-not-super-big/

Instructions for the "Instructions":
Edited by Raskolnikov

Wow - thanks so much for the amount of effort you've put in to this for our benefit. I'm going to give this a go, but I suspect it'll be a long journey just getting the parts together. Time to break down my 8129 and hit bricklink!

9 minutes ago, Richpepperell said:

Wow - thanks so much for the amount of effort you've put in to this for our benefit. I'm going to give this a go, but I suspect it'll be a long journey just getting the parts together. Time to break down my 8129 and hit bricklink!

No problem!

And yeah, it'll definitely be a journey.  If you or someone else is interested in making a parts list, I'm sure that would be a big help.

Ah that's so awesome ! I've been wanting to buid an AT-AT for a while, this might be the one i end up bulding, i know how exausting doing instructions can be so thanks for your effort man.

4 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Do you mind If I make an lxf? (And by extension, part list?)

Go for it -- that'd be a huge help to anyone else who wants to build it, I'm sure.

I love your walkers and that AT AT is certainly an amazing build, but I am mostly interested in the AT ST, could you post something like this to see how is it built?

1 hour ago, Umbra-Manis said:

Do you mind If I make an lxf? (And by extension, part list?)

This would be killer. Can't wait to build this!

58 minutes ago, Nom Carver said:

I love your walkers and that AT AT is certainly an amazing build, but I am mostly interested in the AT ST, could you post something like this to see how is it built?

A lot of the AT-ST mods are from other eurobrickers:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/140965-75153-at-st-modification/

I did take some "exploded" pictures of my attempt to do a relatively simple moveable legs mod, though:  http://imgur.com/a/PAMty

Still messing with it.  For me, that somewhat fragile joint worked better than ball joints for keeping it upright.  I'm pretty sure there are other people who have put a lot more thought into AT-STs than I have, though.

Ooh! Thanks! Thread followed, instructions bookmarked. :thumbup:

You, sir, are a splendidly generous gentleman of the highest order. :tongue: 

15 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

A lot of the AT-ST mods are from other eurobrickers:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/140965-75153-at-st-modification/

I did take some "exploded" pictures of my attempt to do a relatively simple moveable legs mod, though:  http://imgur.com/a/PAMty

Still messing with it.  For me, that somewhat fragile joint worked better than ball joints for keeping it upright.  I'm pretty sure there are other people who have put a lot more thought into AT-STs than I have, though.

Does the AT-ST head have significative alterations? or do you have some closer pics of the head.

7 hours ago, Nom Carver said:

Does the AT-ST head have significative alterations? or do you have some closer pics of the head.

It does, but I think all of them are taken from the AT-ST topic, and there are lots of pics of other AT-STs there.  I do have one pic of mine:

qlPBXlHg.jpg

As others found out, it's pretty easy to improve the look of the "head" by moving the 1x4 wedge plates one stud lower, adding 1x3 wedge plates below the "eyes," making the main blasters bigger, changing out the "eyelids" (some people did it with flag pieces, others with hinges), etc. The only thing unique to mine, maybe, is replacing the dbg scala dishes with lbg ones, like on anothergol's AT-ST.  Luckily, I had previously bought a decent number of lbg ones when I saw them available -- useful part, tends to be expensive though.

Edited by Raskolnikov

That's really good of you to go to the trouble of making those instructions. I think my project for next year is going to be an AT-AT now.

It's such an overall great model and scale I would love to build it.  I think it really fits the bill for what a lot of us would like in a UCS model. 

And if Umbra puts it into LDD I definitely will be building it :)

The digital model is almost finished. I only need to put the 'cannons' (?) on the head, but I don't know the part number of the round piece in this image.
Then, I'll start working on some nice 'professional' building instructions. :classic: 

Also, as soon as I have a parts list, I'll publish it for you guys to use. Maybe Raskolnikov could put it on Rebrickable too then.

For anyone wondering: number of parts (without the missing cannons) is 2467.

Pl7NsHs.png

WOW!  What an amazing MOC!  I modded a 75054 last year to give the model a much more AT-AT look than the original.  It turned out really great, but I was always disappointed with the size.  Rasholnikov, your model is perfect sized.  If someone comes up with the parts list, I'm building one for sure!  It's awesome!  Great work!

19137698984_ad741a621b_k.jpg75054 MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

Edited by mink66

That's definitely the best mod of the set I've seen.  I'm pretty sure I saw it before if you posted it on eurobricks, and it partly inspired mine.

Now that I look at  yours again, I'm tempted to steal parts of it.  The round tiles on the ankles look good -- should have probably done that.  The cannons on the side of the head also look good -- I used a Scala dish, but that may be a lot of fragility and expense without a whole lot of improvement.  I also like the front of the cockpit.  We did it slightly differently -- it's tough to capture the shape of the head's viewport/cycloptic eye without getting really complicated.  Not sure which I like better.

Anyway, any plans to "embiggen" yours?  Looks like your cockpit already seats two drivers.

Edited by Raskolnikov

On 11/13/2016 at 4:54 AM, legolijntje said:

For anyone wondering: number of parts (without the missing cannons) is 2467.

2467 pieces.  That's a very doable number for a UCS set at $300.

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Anyway, any plans to "embiggen" yours?

That's why I want to build yours.  The "instructions" are great!  Just need to come up with the parts list and I'm doing it.  I'm not good enough to come up with all the internal structure on my own or at least I don't have enough time with a 6 and 9 year old running around the house!