Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

Also, a slight update on my ship sloop:

33496675696_ede0f2f0bd_c.jpg

And yes, she is held only by her main crosstrees. A quite solid rigging, I would claim! :pir-grin:

I really need to figure out a name - suggestions? :pir-blush:

EDIT: Just noticed how the shadow makes her look almost full-hulled! :pir-tongue:

YAY, stable rigging!

You could consider naming it after one of your bigger settlements like it was common in the Royal Navy (several ships named London, Greenwich, Oxford etc). I don't think it has been done before in BOBS and would be interesting for sure.

Btw, any reason for that headless Oleander on board?

@Bregir , I suggest naming her Royal Fortune for no special reason. It just came to my mind when looking at her. But I must admit I am not sure we haven't had that name before.

3 hours ago, Jacob Nion said:

@Bregir , I suggest naming her Royal Fortune for no special reason. It just came to my mind when looking at her. But I must admit I am not sure we haven't had that name before.

The only royal vessel is the "Espirit Royal", so Royal Fortune is up for grabbing :)

The Royal Fortune sounds a bit too mercantile for me, and we don't have too many cities to name her after - I was thinking about something along the lines of indefatigable, retribution, or something similar, only something fitting for a small, swift-sailing ship-sloop rather than a heavy frigate! :pir-grin: Perhaps simply the HMS Valiant? I will consider this.

@Brandon Stark

Good to see another shipwright to be! My first suggestion would be to move the mast 4 studs or so forward (For a cutter rig, or even more so (x2) for a sloop rig). Second would be to work in some details on the sides. Perhaps they need a latter leading down the side, or so? I would also suggest you add a bit of a curve to your deck, lowering it in the middle by a brick or so, gradually rising to meet stern and bow. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions, pose more WIP as you progress, or disregard my advice partly or altogether! :pir-tongue:

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Or the HMS Long Live Maxim?

It is always a pleasure to witness the effort you put into your own legacy :pir-grin:

I am curious how future historicans will validate commodore Maxim's role in this era 

@Bregir actually the Royal Fortune was the name of several ships used by Bartholomew Roberts. As much a merchant as myself :pir-grin:

Edited by Jacob Nion

4 minutes ago, Jacob Nion said:

It is always a pleasure to witness the effort you put into your own legacy :pir-grin:

I am curious how future historicans will validate commodore Maxim's role in this era 

@Bregir actually the Royal Fortune was the name of several ships used by Bartholomew Roberts. As much a merchant as myself :pir-grin:

Well, since Margot was the start of the Naval Arm Race, I am doing pretty good writing myself into history :D

just like you :D

33 minutes ago, Jacob Nion said:

As much a merchant as myself :pir-grin:

Both you and the greenies have little other concerns than profiteering - although you go about it in quite different ways... :pir-wink:

2 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Or the HMS Long Live Maxim?

Why do I feel a sudden urge to moc a run down, battered old skiff? :pir-grin:

23 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Both you and the greenies have little other concerns than profiteering - although you go about it in quite different ways... :pir-wink:

Why do I feel a sudden urge to moc a run down, battered old skiff? :pir-grin:

Oh no, do not take me for that kind of man. Captain Morgan's motives go much deeper. I have great plans how to develop my character this year!

@Bregir Thank you very much for the advice. I will make sure to try it. As for the ship, I'm planning on creating a brick built hull instead of a molded one since I know what direction I'm going in with this ship now. 

On 19/03/2017 at 10:24 PM, Bregir said:

Also, a slight update on my ship sloop:

33496675696_ede0f2f0bd_c.jpg

And yes, she is held only by her main crosstrees. A quite solid rigging, I would claim! :pir-grin:

I really need to figure out a name - suggestions? :pir-blush:

EDIT: Just noticed how the shadow makes her look almost full-hulled! :pir-tongue:

Makes me think more to a frigate than a sloop ( a sloop has one mast and is gaff rigged)... Perhaps a big big sloop-of-war

But the WIP is great... especially the rigging. The color choice is well though.

11 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

Makes me think more to a frigate than a sloop ( a sloop has one mast and is gaff rigged)... Perhaps a big big sloop-of-war

But the WIP is great... especially the rigging. The color choice is well though.

Ah, the wonderful confusing use of terms. You are indeed right about what a sloop rig is. But very few sloops (-of-war), if any, were sloop rigged. Typically, they would be ship- (like this one, hence a "ship-sloop") or brig-rigged. Some might be xebec or schooner rigged too. So, at least in the Royal Navy, a sloop (-of-war) is the designation for a un-rated warship (less than 20 guns) commanded by a commander. A vessel between 20 and 28 were 6th rates (although only those with 28 guns would be considered a frigate) and would be commanded by a post captain. (In the napoleonic period) Vessels commanded by a mere lieutenant would not be considered a sloop but a gun-brig or similar.

I may or may not ramp her up to 20+ guns (adding guns in the cabin or as chasers), but so far, she only has 18, making her a sloop. :pir-wink:

Glad you like it - rigging with string can be quite rewarding (and challenging) getting all the lines taut just so. But on the upside, you get a very sturdy ship. (If your hull has the structural strength needed and the proper anchor points, that is :pir-tongue: )

13 hours ago, Jacob Nion said:

I have great plans how to develop my character this year!

I am not quite sure we (IC) should be looking forward for this... :pir-grin:

5 hours ago, Brandon Stark said:

@Bregir Thank you very much for the advice. I will make sure to try it. As for the ship, I'm planning on creating a brick built hull instead of a molded one since I know what direction I'm going in with this ship now. 

You're welcome. And just for the record, there is nothing wrong with prefab hulls. One just need to consider how to give them the details they lack. :pir-blush: I still enjoy using the traditional prefabs, but mine are currently bound in existing Moc's that I have spent far too much time rigging to take down anytime soon... :pir-grin:

3 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Ah, the wonderful confusing use of terms.

I agree, the translation of naval terms from english to french (and the opposite) is quite puzzling.

And the board of the different ship is very hard to handle for me (to put the right terms with the right boat for MOCing)

Ok, slow progress are still progress. I've gone from 18 wide, added slightly over 1 on each side. so 20+ wide. How does the proportions look, and approximately where should I put the masts? I went with the earlier suggestion of building an open style carrack, and redid the bowspring. I also extended the outside hull addition lengthwise. I think the improvements made her lines better. Is the open solution still the way to go, and/or should I add fore and/or aftcastles? The deck as she sits now, I expect will be same height as the bottom of the gunports. Any other advices on how to proceed are also most welcome.

34573866131_05a41d733d.jpg

Looks good to me, Stig. I will try to get some proper feedback in tonight, but just wanted to say you are not forgotten and that it looks promising! :)

Great to find this guild hall again.

I think it will be a good idea to add fore and aft castles, you mentioned you plan to build a carrack, as I recall, the masts are quite close to the prow and poop on carracks.

First off - the way you are widening the hull works much better than I had expected; the old dark grey isn't too noticeable either.

Now, for a Carrack, let's take a look at a generic drawing of one(literally just put "Carrack" into google and you'll find tons of this type of image):

Carrack-ship-illustration.jpg

Right now you have your stern overhanging quite far and angling towards a 2 wide centre point. The overhang isn't much of an issue, but I would recommend not going in nearly as far - you already have a couple of inverted slopes there, why not just use those as the base of your stern? For the stern - this is one of the few shiptypes which have a stern growing as tall; giving it a sterncastle isn't an option, it is a must! Same for the forecastle (you could use the part you are now using for the stern or, what I would love to see, try either angled and snotted plates with tile and clip based details or something with a few hinges.
For placing the masts - the main mast (the center one) is the tallest and sits pretty central, if not a tiny bit back (both would work). Both Mizzen and Fore sit pretty far at their respective ends of the ship, just check the examples (or google - lots more there).

158764-004-798F86CB.jpg

(also something with a far overhanging stern - not sure if realistic, but given the age of these it isn't difficult to imagine this)

Good to see those round parts in the back btw - these ships were quite curvy most of the time, so they are a good choice! Don't forget some angling inwards with slope bricks or hinges for the stern that it isn't the same width as the bottom of the ship!

I think Legostone's advice is fairly sound. :)

I would add a suggestion that you could try to curve the gundeck too, and thus try to create an overall curve that goes from bow to stern, on top of which you build the fore- and aftcastles. I would maintain the open gundeck for the waist of the ship (the middle) but build a large castle aft and a smaller fore, just like in the models LS has found.

I like the length and shape of the beakhead (the build-up below the bowsprit) as it is now, and would suggest you build a platform like in the last model LS found. And if you can curve it upwards, even better. In fact, I think that model is really cool - and now I really want to build a carrack! :pir-grin:

Ok, so this is what I've come up with. Nothing is fastened. I just placed them haphazardly in the positition they might be. I think I will work a bit more on the curving of the gun deck and make the forecastle partly grey instead of black. The round red piece can be disregarded (the fence was first placed on top in an attempt to make the first 7 look like a 1, so it would say 1597), and think a smaller fence could look better. It kinda dwarfs the size of her when they are so big. Should I tilt the forecastle steeper?

33992280693_15377e7a59.jpg

34801989015_6e182d99b3.jpg

34639336882_3da4af7521.jpg

Edit: Oh, and I am thinking of stealing all the sails from the QAR. Rigging is not my first priority. I have to make decent hulls first.

Edit 2: accidentally removed a picture.

Edited by Sir Stig

I find the dark pictures a bit hard to distinguish from the dark background, but nonetheless lets give it a try. :)

I would suggest you start planning for the location of the masts, and then building the fore and aft-castles up around that. As to the curve of your forecastle, I think I would venture to angle it a bit more. And if possible work in an upwards sloping curve going forward. (And the same for the aftcastle)

I can't really distinguish what is going on aft, so I will wait until I see more :)

Looking forward to seeing her progress!

Ok, it appears the problem with the dark pictures had something to do with a badly lighted smartphone screen. Sorry :)

I am still a little confused as to the aft castle, though. That large sloped piece with the number looks a bit malplaced to me currently, but that might just be me not seeing where you are going with it! :P

It also appears that the forecastle is tilted a bit more than I first thought. However, for this old vessel, overdoing the angles a bit might not be a bad thing. Notice how obvious the angles are on the drawings and models LS shared.

Anyway, just wanted to add that. Looking forward to seeing her progress anyhow! :)