Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

35 minutes ago, Justsomebrix said:

If you look closely you'll see I made the lower ones larger then the two upper decks. However as I wanted to have them all brickbuilt I understand it can be hard to notice.

I can see that the cannons on the lowest deck protrude further than on the upper deck.

Would the original Lego cannon (with the larger diameter of the tube) look better on the lowest deck?

I think your guns look excellent, and wouldn't personally use the premade guns with these. But I agree with NOD that the size difference is not super evident. Both designs are super nice though!

I think you will optimally go for a more distinctive difference between the three decks. Say 36 pounders on the lower decks, 24 or 18 pounders on the middle deck, and 9 or 6 pounders on the upper decks.

So if you could design more distinctive differences, that would be icing on the cake.

I would say, though, that this is excellent work! I really like what you have here!

Thank you both for the feedback!

I tried out the lego cannons yesterday but honestly I don't think they work so well with this one. So I will design a smaller cannon instead for more distinction

Mostly tiled gun deck of a frigate I'm working on. This is my first physical ship I've built since 2017 (and that one was terrible), and the first since 2010 I'll do with custom rigging. She's to be a modified Pirates of Barracuda Bay ship. Looking to be 14 guns on this deck, maybe 16 depending on if I move stuff forward. The middle 2x2 would be for the castan. Thoughts/suggestions?

image0(1).jpeg

From what I see, she is looking quite nice. If I were you, I would consider whether the upper bow piece is a help or a hindrance for you. It may be either, but as the transition from sides to the bow and stern are typically the hardest part of any vessel to build, make sure you keep your options open. :pirate:

51782497202_e33f7eb644_z.jpg

51783945409_33903b83df_z.jpg

51784184910_e095e68afa_z.jpg

51783312351_c4f4439571_z.jpg

I will probably finish the Argonaut close to the end of January. I have to order more bricks to complete the missing yards, studding sail booms, guns and the rudder. Within the next days I will prepare the missing square sails, though course sail on the main mast will most likely be completely furled up. I really can't tell why I insist to add reef lines, if nobody will see them anyways. Again a few things bother me with her, but overall I'm happy and learned a lot for future ships. Currently the yards seem to be too much of equal length, but adding the studding sail booms could fix that. We'll see.

@KotZ Bregir has a good point there. As you can see, I don't use a prefab bow on my frigate. The old ones were just one piece, so you either had to raise the level of brown bricks in the middle like shown in Captain Green Hair's tutorial or live with it. I removed it and tried to brickbuild the bow, which resulted in a lot of gaps. 

While this one is quite sleek, plain but elegant, without unnecessary decorations, I want to go for a more decorated stern next.

I have two ships already planned out in my head. One will be the HMS Leopard. It is just too expensive, so I will have to wait. Maybe then the required parts will exist in the desired colours. Until then I can think about how to improve the stern, working on the scale of the figurines.

49935795796_1dbab60578.jpg

By the gods! Those are amazing! On a loosely related note, I got the hull from 6280 that I had as a kid off of ebay! The kit is propbably the worst ship they ever produced in my opinion. Much too simple and kinda lazy design but those hull colors...

20211230_080200_compress_compress

I cant afford a license on a ship this size yet and I don't have all I need for masts at the moment but I am thinking of making it into a prison hulk, or slipway MOC for the time being. That said, does anyone have a better idea than my ludicrous rope and pulley system for keeping the top of the back cabin wall in place?

20211230_080119_compress_compress

I have a ton of fine tuning to do on it, so all suggestions about any part of the ship are appreciated as this is the fist ship I've ever tried to scratch up. 

Thanks, ♧ 

@Jeff of Clubs While I'm totally not an expert here, I'd really like to see it with a couple more hull sections included. Would be a whole lot more realistic. 

I'd really like to see a prison hulk build. Would be fascinating, and you could license it anywhere. But I think you'd have to strip down a lot of the redundant parts, like yardarms. Maybe add more flotsam around the water line. 

Keep going, and let us know how this evolves. 

6 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Jeff of Clubs While I'm totally not an expert here, I'd really like to see it with a couple more hull sections included. Would be a whole lot more realistic. 

Fully agreed. I just got these hull pieces a week or so ago and am actively looking for more mid sections. This is just a concept test ship to get my head around some of the basics for when I can fully build it. It is definitely going to be 'defrocked' a bit for the prison hulk and will likely have a retrofited cabin constructed upon its deck.

@Jeff of Clubs sounds perfect. Some other thoughts; you could make it unbalanced: have structures hanging off one side that aren't balanced on the other. I always think of hulks sitting in the Thames estuary, off-kilter in the mud (probably thanks to Great Expectations). Put cages and things like that on the deck. Hang gibbets from the yardarm. A big set of doors halfway up the side.

6 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Jeff of Clubs sounds perfect. Some other thoughts; you could make it unbalanced: have structures hanging off one side that aren't balanced on the other. I always think of hulks sitting in the Thames estuary, off-kilter in the mud (probably thanks to Great Expectations). Put cages and things like that on the deck. Hang gibbets from the yardarm. A big set of doors halfway up the side.

Good call. I should rumage around for some images. I'm not sure how I could make a convincing gibbet but I kinda wanna now. I'll throw some Dickens on too. Can't hurt!

On 12/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, Wellesley said:I have two ships already planned out in my head. One will be the HMS Leopard. It is just too expensive, so I will have to wait. Maybe then the required parts will exist in the desired colours. Until then I can think about how to improve the stern, working on the scale of the figurines.

I know not everyone is comfortable with this, but several colors are doable: black, white, and tan… you can find spray paint that is close enough you won’t notice.

Depending on your abilities, you can also change colors in post (using a photo editor to change the colors in the photo).

For these, ymmv. I don’t mind so much, though the ‘tacky’ feel of painted Lego does bother me, so I try to keep it to more permanent models, and I also sort the pieces separately.

18 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

convincing gibbet

I would check the Ninjago 70608 's bulky one with smaller diameter though (by replacing the top and bottom reddish brown pieces) and definitely another colour (full black works I guess)

Master Falls 70608 | NINJAGO® | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Edited by blackdeathgr

18 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

I know not everyone is comfortable with this, but several colors are doable: black, white, and tan… you can find spray paint that is close enough you won’t notice.

Depending on your abilities, you can also change colors in post (using a photo editor to change the colors in the photo).

For these, ymmv. I don’t mind so much, though the ‘tacky’ feel of painted Lego does bother me, so I try to keep it to more permanent models, and I also sort the pieces separately.

Yes, that might be a good solution. I would have hesitated more, but as it only is for the decorations and the golden elements tend to have a lot of deviations in colour anyways, I think this is the way to go. I already glued some pieces together or cut some in half, though always hidden by the finished result.

I love it! It looks great.

For my ship, just made an order that hopefully will arrive in the next few weeks. That should get me to finish up most of the decks and only need to do the captain's quarters.

Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll be able to finally call my first ship, which carries the name " L'Aurelié " done!

The rigging is finished  to a level I'm content with. Sadly no sails as she's positioned right below my AC unit (which is up against the wall behind her), which is powerful enough to have blown away loose bricks when building her in the first place 😅.

She's a 44-cannon heavy frigate. Her armament consists of 28x 28 pounders, and 16x 18 pounders, of which 2 in aft and 2 in fore chase configuration. Overall she's 108cm long as shown by the measuring tape.

I'm just waiting for the few custom printed bricks and custom flags to arrive before I take better pictures (this one is terrible, I know) and officially post her. Have yet to figure out how I'll pay for the license... But I'll find a way.

Hoping to be able to license her as a Class 8, based on her size and armament, taking into account she was brick-built rather than just a digital concept either. If the court approves, of course!

And then, I can finally make my characters story start, after having signed up almost a year ago... 

20220217_182114.jpg

28 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll be able to finally call my first ship, which carries the name " L'Aurelié " done!

The rigging is finished  to a level I'm content with. Sadly no sails as she's positioned right below my AC unit (which is up against the wall behind her), which is powerful enough to have blown away loose bricks when building her in the first place 😅.

She's a 44-cannon heavy frigate. Her armament consists of 28x 28 pounders, and 16x 18 pounders, of which 2 in aft and 2 in fore chase configuration. Overall she's 108cm long as shown by the measuring tape.

I'm just waiting for the few custom printed bricks and custom flags to arrive before I take better pictures (this one is terrible, I know) and officially post her. Have yet to figure out how I'll pay for the license... But I'll find a way.

Hoping to be able to license her as a Class 8, based on her size and armament, taking into account she was brick-built rather than just a digital concept either. If the court approves, of course!

And then, I can finally make my characters story start, after having signed up almost a year ago...

Very nice frigate with a custom hull. But nobody shouldn't judge those who build digitally. Everyone should have the opportunity to build with what is available. Some have lots of Lego bricks, others have learned to build digitally. Everyone is welcome and should have fun with Lego and this forum.

10 minutes ago, NOD said:

Very nice frigate with a custom hull. But nobody shouldn't judge those who build digitally. Everyone should have the opportunity to build with what is available. Some have lots of Lego bricks, others have learned to build digitally. Everyone is welcome and should have fun with Lego and this forum.

Oh I know, most of my builds so far have been digital. But I more so ment that in the rules and everything it says that "due to the parts available, digital builds will be held to a higher standard". 

I'm not against digital builds at all, and atleast half if not more of my future builds will still be digital too 😊!

24 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Oh I know, most of my builds so far have been digital. But I more so ment that in the rules and everything it says that "due to the parts available, digital builds will be held to a higher standard". 

I'm not against digital builds at all, and atleast half if not more of my future builds will still be digital too 😊!

Your attitude pleases me. :pir-classic: I did not see this rule. In my experience, building at eurobricks is equivalent to real Leogs and digital. The building skills are different but we can see a photo of both at the end.