Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

Looks great, Wellesley.

What is the purpose of the mizzen, when no sails are carried? The only other thing I would say is that I'd suggest raising the grating for the cargo hold just a bit. It looks a bit odd to me that it is flush with the deck. Would also take in all water on deck. :pir-blush:

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

What is the purpose of the mizzen, when no sails are carried?

It will carry a sail:) Though I guess in this case it is more about helping with the steering/balancing the course than an actual speed increase. But it won't carry a sail as long as I have to finish the shipyard as the half-rigged state fits more.

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

The only other thing I would say is that I'd suggest raising the grating for the cargo hold just a bit. It looks a bit odd to me that it is flush with the deck.

This is a good point. I thought about it, but usually don't do it, as it makes placing stuff on deck a bit more complicated. Should work with this one though.

@Edmund Babbington Yes it's a great start. you have many of the elements accounted for. going forward it's really a question of proportioning. You'll find that, the smaller the vessel, the less exaggerated things, like foscls and quarterdecks tend to me. Google "Schooner Sultana" to see what I mean. You can go with a two mast rig, to balance things out, like a schooner or ketch, you could also make what you have bigger. Put a taller mast closer to center and spread those two head sails out. you'll need a larger main sail, but it's just another way to go.

@Wellesley That is awesome. I really don't have any notes, as I don't know the type but from paintings and film, but I find it convincing enough to recognize what she is right away. I tried something like this a while back, but just couldn't get it stable, so color me impressed on that front as well.

Dave :pir-huzzah2:

Hello all!

Here is my distraction from my dissertation: an East Indiaman!

50955320763_172545178a_c.jpg

50955320768_086a5e1740_c.jpg

50955320783_3319139c0e_c.jpg

I am still working out the stern and bow, although I'm happy with the shape of the sides so far.

I took the plans from a website for the ship Falmouth.

Edited by Spud The Viking

@Spud The Viking The custom hull looks great! It's the way to go when we want to build larger ships.

By giving it a closer look, I think I might be able to give you a few advices.

First, I have to say that I'm not trying to undermine COR's shipbuilding efforts, maybe I am.

I noticed that the sides are only partly connected with the "keel", this may cause stability issue at later stage of construction, you'll find these connecting points aren't sturdy enough to support the whole weight of the ship, especially with a custom rigging, since you'll need to exert certain stress on the ropes to keep the masts straight. I've had the same problem with my custom hulls, and my solution is this:

yffNlD.jpg

It isn't a clever solution, but it's sturdy enough, I placed the ship on its side to take the pic and nothing breaks, not even the masts. On the other hand, such modification means you'll have to start over, so maybe it isn't a good idea.:pir-grin:

I also suggest you to place the mizzen mast further aft, it looks okay now, but when the stern is finished, with its overhang, you might want to re-position that mast, and it won't be so easy with the decks closed and the rigging attached..

5 hours ago, Bodi said:

I noticed that the sides are only partly connected with the "keel", this may cause stability issue at later stage of construction, you'll find these connecting points aren't sturdy enough to support the whole weight of the ship, especially with a custom rigging, since you'll need to exert certain stress on the ropes to keep the masts straight. I've had the same problem with my custom hulls, and my solution is this:

Good point! Under the deck is a lot of bricks, making it bulky and giving support. I will add more hinges or maybe even mixel joints so it doesn't collapse as I lift it :pir-grin:

5 hours ago, Bodi said:

I also suggest you to place the mizzen mast further aft, it looks okay now, but when the stern is finished, with its overhang, you might want to re-position that mast, and it won't be so easy with the decks closed and the rigging attached..

True, but the mast is where it is on the plans. Once I have completed the cabin I will see if it looks too far forward and keep your advice in mind. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Count Vroskri said:

It's looking great @Spud The Viking! I echo Bodi's advice. Also, the bit of deck you've put in already is looking splendid. Well done! 

Thank you!

Any and all advice is welcome, I enjoy building ships because it is challenging and out of my comfort zone!

With suggestions from my last build in mind I'm attempting a ketch: I am still waiting on pieces but this is what I have thus far:

full

hullbow

Is the prow a bit much? I can't decide. Also it feels like it needs more details but im not sure what kind of thing to add to it frankly? Thoughts suggestions everyone?

Ok, I'll try to pick this thread up a bit more actively going forward - I have been sadly remiss in giving feedback here, for which I apologise. :pir-blush:

@Spud The Viking: I think she is looking absolutely fabulous. At first glance, she has the look of a warship proper with that neat row of gunports, but on second look, she also has a wide rounded bow and a deep hold. She seems to embody the perfect midpoint between warship and merchant, as indiamen often had. I really like the colourscheme and overall shape. You have achieved a very nice rounded hull and good tumblehome. I have two small suggestions for her hull-shape. First, at the end of the sides towards the bow, you have a very vertical two studs of side. Perhaps finding a sloped block or similar for the top could make that look less pronounced? Second, your aft cabin is sitting very square on the hull, which sort of  breaks her sheer (curve from bow to stern). The red plate underneath at the far end even reverses the sheer a little bit, which looks a bit abrupt. Continuing the curve of the sheer to the cabin could perhaps make it look a little more elegant.

You also have some nice deck details and railings, and your cabin is overall very nicely ornamented. Capstan and grating are excellent, and details like the ladder, headrails and the use of flowers really add to it.

I think you might regret the (lack of) strength for your chainplates, though, when you start rigging her. Once you start setting up shrouds, you will have some considerable stress on them, and I am not quite convinced your construction, while very good looking, will prove strong enough in that regard, depending of course on how tight you set up the rigging.

Overall, an excellent ship - she will do the crown proud, I am sure!

It is looking great Spud - definitely going to be a fabulous ship! I'm suffering from a little lack of inspiration right now, but this thread'll definitely be something to watch! 

Hi everyone, this is my first attempt on building a ship. It's not really a WIP anymore but I would appreciate some feedback and tips. thx;)

Sloop2.jpg

Sloop.jpg

Hugely intrigued by your bow technique, @lmcpicture, I'd love to see what could be done with it at a larger scale sometime!  Your overall shape is gorgeous though, and for such a small-ish ship you've got quite a nice armament on board! :pir-classic:

12 hours ago, lmcpicture said:

Hi everyone, this is my first attempt on building a ship. It's not really a WIP anymore but I would appreciate some feedback and tips. thx;)

I don't know, I'm not buying it. What could you possibly want feedback on? This is too advanced of a technique and way to well informed of a build to be coming from some who actually needs notes. There's a few gaps, sure, but it's a new, dynamic, technique that achieves and interesting result. Your understanding of a hull's shape is apparent (though this would be an extremely shallow draft vessel, as is) and your overall design is immediately recognizable. In short, I don't think you needs notes, just keep going. Pick a larger ship now and see where you can take it. perhaps if you shared some of the internals, you might garner some advice on that, but, of all people, I'd understand wanting to keep it to your self for now, if that's what you're up to. :pir-wink:

Cheers :pir-huzzah2:

Dave

@Garmadon @kurigan thanks for the positive feedback, it means a lot. I'm thinking of licencing it soon. I originally planned it to be a class 2 sloop (does it seem wright?). And yes I'm planning on making a bigger ship/ a War Galleon, I'll see what technics I'll be using when I start building it (hopefully soon).

5 hours ago, lmcpicture said:

@Garmadon @kurigan thanks for the positive feedback, it means a lot. I'm thinking of licencing it soon. I originally planned it to be a class 2 sloop (does it seem wright?). And yes I'm planning on making a bigger ship/ a War Galleon, I'll see what technics I'll be using when I start building it (hopefully soon).

I'll echo the very positive notes from Garm and Kurigan. The shape is excellent, and while I would love to see it in the brick with stringed up rigging, you clearly know what you are doing. I'd say it's pretty spot-on for a class 2, and it is definitely sloop rigged. She looks like she would be a fast and manoeuvrable little craft. Anchors and guns/gunports are nice details, particularly on this size.

Overall, well done!

@Bregir thx for the positive comments and the clarification. This is my very first ship build, and at the same time I only started looking into ships maybe one or two weeks before joining you guys, so receiving all does positive comments on my first build here means a lot. thx again ;D

(sorry for the picture quality in advance)

I started on this sloop a little over a year ago now and was planning on finishing it as my first ship moc, but after watching it on my shelf for so long I started to dislike it so today I decided to do a complete redesign.

Old sloop WIP :

20210726_114327

20210726_11433520210726_114355

New sloop WIP :  (inspired by Jens Fishers sloop Revenant)

20210815_03362920210815_03363620210815_033715

After testing out colours I decided that I'll switch the dark red with dark green (gonna have to order some parts)

I know it's still in the very early stages but if you have any feedback I'll gladly read them  :pir-blush:

Edited by Justsomebrix

That looks really good so far! 

Not sure about the dark green though, I think it would look neater in all red with the tan "gun ports" as accent colour. 

Perhaps if you do decide to keep with green/red, stack the green on top of the red so it becomes a horizontal accent colour rather than just in the front. 

But she definitely looks good so far!

14 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

That looks really good so far! 

Not sure about the dark green though, I think it would look neater in all red with the tan "gun ports" as accent colour. 

Perhaps if you do decide to keep with green/red, stack the green on top of the red so it becomes a horizontal accent colour rather than just in the front. 

But she definitely looks good so far!

Thank you!

The plan was to replace all the red with dark green not just the front haha, just missing the pieces. I'm most likely going to replace the tan gunports with black ones as well, but that'l be the last thing I do so that I can properly compare the look.

I also removed the lowest part of the hull as I felt the ship stood too high above the water

We seem to have some excellent shipbuilders joining these days!

@Justsomebrix I think the first iteration was pretty good, but I agree she was a little high in the water. For the new one, it looks very promising. I would reinforce the chains so that you do not need to worry about structural integrity when setting up your rigging. I personally use the rigging to actively hold up the masts. I think the shape is overall very nice, although it seems to me that you will need a wider transom - currently it seems to be very narrow at the stern. But the hull is overall very good!

@Justsomebrix Well, you don't express any particular concerns or ask and specific questions, so it's hard to figure on where to advise, especially at such an early stage and without reference. I always find that my best advice is more about a builder's approach, than it is about the build. 

ok I've been distracted too many time trying to compose this and not come off as a jerk and my train of though is lost. Basically this:

With out some to reference, no one can really give you good advice. as far aw we all can tell, you're working from a vision in your own mind to which we are not privy. If you continue on that path, best to ya, but it will be entirely up to you how successful your build will be or not. the best y=thing you can do though is gather data. you don't need to be a book worm per se. just a simply set of plans or even just some models to design off of can be enough. But instead of relying on others to correctly assume what it is you're trying to achieve, hold up something real-world and say "I'm trying to make this" even if you wind up deviating here and there along the way. what sort of vessel will this be, a from when or where? in general terms, it looks as though this hull will be way to narrow and sit to high in the water (you addressed that I see). I can see you're on to something ship-like, but what it is I'm not sure. I could guess cutter and start advising based on what I understand about cutters in general, but your vision and mine might not quite line up. I'd tell you to look up known vessels like Alert or Cheerful. but then, you may say "nom those aren't even close. they're the wrong type and century, this'll be a polacca, duh..." then where are we?

Anyway, I'm off track again so I'll just drop it, in the hopes that I've made my point in a way that easy to understand and digest.

Cheers :pir-huzzah2:

Dave

@Bregir Thank you! will definetly strengthen the structure once I settle down on the final shape. 

@kurigan  You're totally right man, I should've specified what I was trying to accomplish. As for references I definetly have a few (not for my first/old attempt). So it was always my intention to build a one mast sloop. I hadn't yet managed to decide on a clear goal for the ship, but since I posted the las WIP I've decided to replicate an open deck sloop using the image bellow as my main referance (I will of course be making some personel changes along the way)

A scheme of the Bermuda sloop "Rising Sun" | Model ships, Sailing ships,  Sailing vessel 

So as you can see I've removed the cabin and widend the rear. As stated earlier I completely removed the lower hull as I didn't like the look of it and it didn't seem necessary to keep it. I also think I have found the overall shape I'll use (I'd specifically like some feedback on that if you have any). 

20210815_21311520210815_21314220210815_213028

The ship is still in the very early stages, as until now I've mainly been trying out different things. So I'm not excpecting many tips, but I still wanted to show what I'm working on. 

I'm gonna go ahead and post the progress on my current ship aswell.

L'AurelieL'AurelieL'Aurelie

L'Aurelie is a 46 gun heavy frigate, with 30x 24 pdr long gun on the bottom deck and 16x 18 pdr long gun on the top deck. Of which 2 are aft-chasers and 2 are bow-chasers.

She's about 80cm long on the waterline (75cm if pure main-hull). With in the background the 3 in 1 creator ship for scale. 

Went quite a bit above budget too... But hey, the brick-built parts are done! Just the rigging left!

I'm hoping to license her as a Class 8, given her size (Over 1.5x as long as required for a class 7. No multiple decks but I'm hoping her overall size compensates for that :p) and firepower capabilities etc compared to other class 7's. (Let me know if this is reasonable please ^^)

Hoping to finish her somewhere this month/early next month!

Edited by Thomas Waagenaar