Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

@LM71Blackbird Well apparently the model kit you're using for inspiration is rather slab sided. It 's also rather atypical. Seems it's likely a work of fantasy, made of elements of different types cobbled together to make something that "looks cool". You do you, but it may not make the best reference material; particularly considering your's is half the size. 

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19395-hms-resolution-by-thunder-finished-corel-150-scale-17th-century-cutter/?tab=comments#comment-592016

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/14768-getting-some-info-on-this-hms-resolution-kit/?tab=comments#comment-459568

Dave

@LM71Blackbird As i said, you, do you. If you want better reference, try the cutter HMS Fly, 1763. You may want to try a different hull technique as well. Might I suggest the Bumblebee method? I think you're going to struggle to fit all the elements of something like Resolution on such a small scale. Sometimes simpler is better. Do basic well and wow everyone. (You asked for advice, this is my honest advice. You don't have to take it, I really don't care.)

Cheers!

Dave

2 hours ago, kurigan said:

@LM71Blackbird As i said, you, do you. If you want better reference, try the cutter HMS Fly, 1763. You may want to try a different hull technique as well. Might I suggest the Bumblebee method? I think you're going to struggle to fit all the elements of something like Resolution on such a small scale. Sometimes simpler is better. Do basic well and wow everyone. (You asked for advice, this is my honest advice. You don't have to take it, I really don't care.)

Cheers!

Dave

No, I appreciate it! I enjoy shipbuilding but I still have a lot of techniques to learn, so any help I can get is really enlightening. The HMS Fly is definitely a better reference point as well. I do have to ask though... What in the world is the Bumblebee method??

Just found pictures of one of my vessels I never bothered posting, not sure if I should create a thread for it since the pictures aren't that great at all. Sadly it got destroyed during transport back from the convention and since the rigging was messed up beyond repair I decided not to fix it and instead reuse the hull another time. Maybe there are some inspirations for others here. I'll check another time but I don't think I took any more pictures of it.

Spoiler

32188775178_fa97cee9c6_c.jpg

46009996592_2278ab9f1d_c.jpg

32188779188_da5c89964c_c.jpg

46009997472_517be334c4_c.jpg

29878671688_e340443953_c.jpg

@Legostone, gonna check if I got some other pictures of the vessel :)

Hooray, upcomming weekend I got rigging-weekend number 5 for my vessel. Should be the last :pir_laugh2: