Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

@LM71Blackbird Good idea, but perhaps you can fine-tune the shape a bit more. Right now you have the following pattern: 1-1-1-1-1-2-6-1-3-4-3-3-4-7-2-1-1. The ends are just fine, but the middle doesn't "flow" right. Going with 1-1-1-1-1-2-3-5-7-6-4-3-3-2-1-1 or at least something along the lines of that would look much much better. Make sure that the widest part of the vessel is the longest section and you are good to go.

34 minutes ago, Legostone said:

@LM71Blackbird Good idea, but perhaps you can fine-tune the shape a bit more. Right now you have the following pattern: 1-1-1-1-1-2-6-1-3-4-3-3-4-7-2-1-1. The ends are just fine, but the middle doesn't "flow" right. Going with 1-1-1-1-1-2-3-5-7-6-4-3-3-2-1-1 or at least something along the lines of that would look much much better. Make sure that the widest part of the vessel is the longest section and you are good to go.

Ok, I'll mess around with the curved pieces a bit. Thanks!

Here's a different arrangement of curved pieces and preliminary mast and bowsprit placement.

41419814864_2b4053e74d_c.jpgBrickbuilt hull 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Looks great! Depending on the sail plan you are going for, you should reconsider mast placement. I would suggest finding a picture of a real ship to benchmark against. Right now, your foremast seems far too far aft. :)

9 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Looks great! Depending on the sail plan you are going for, you should reconsider mast placement. I would suggest finding a picture of a real ship to benchmark against. Right now, your foremast seems far too far aft. :)

Thanks! I thought the mast looked a little to far back and now I'm certain it is. I was thinking of making the ship into a brig, so I'll see about those kind of sail plans.

So here's what I came up with for a sail plan. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Especially after adjusting the curved pieces on the hull like Legostone suggested. I added some moc gun ports to the side as well.

I was thinking it would be about a class 4.

28283598858_8d6e3d54bf_c.jpgBrig 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Edited by LM71Blackbird

1 hour ago, Drunknok said:

One more great ship from you! You are quite a LDD machine - are you sure you are not @Kolonialbeamter in disguise? :laugh:

Thank you! Lol, yes, I've gotten quite fast at LDD after about 8 years of using it!

I've brought back the behemoth that I dry docked for a while and after working on some smaller ships, I think I have figured out how to properly curve a hull! I am quite happy with the results so far!

Here is what she currently looks like:

40678927460_5649efba31_b.jpgHMS Dominance 5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

For reference here is what she looked like before:

Spoiler

First draft:

40449347401_12c5428ecf_b.jpgSOTL1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Second draft:

25592330307_300192ec21_b.jpgSOTL5 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Looks great, LM! Really nice curves! (And as we all know, real ships have curves! :P)

My comment is that your mast placement and design is off. The foremast is too far aft and the mizzen too far forward.

I suggest you find a picture/drawing of a rigged ship of the line to determine the proper placement and rigging of each mast. (And height)

I will also mention a pet peeve for me. The cabin could be integrated more in the hull. When you find a picture, you will also see that a ships cabin is never a box on top of the hull as it is in many official lego ships. Addressing that will make here even more harmonic looking.

Also, splitting the masts in lower masts, topmasts, and topgallantmasts gives you a lot nicer and more realistic rig, tops, etc. and with a great hull like that, she deserves that I think! :)

Looking good LM, I agree with Bregir's advice about integrating more the cabin in the hull, then you could add another row of windows, usually on ships of this size, their stern cabins are double-decked.

11 hours ago, Bregir said:

Looks great, LM! Really nice curves! (And as we all know, real ships have curves! :P)

My comment is that your mast placement and design is off. The foremast is too far aft and the mizzen too far forward.

I suggest you find a picture/drawing of a rigged ship of the line to determine the proper placement and rigging of each mast. (And height)

I will also mention a pet peeve for me. The cabin could be integrated more in the hull. When you find a picture, you will also see that a ships cabin is never a box on top of the hull as it is in many official lego ships. Addressing that will make here even more harmonic looking.

Also, splitting the masts in lower masts, topmasts, and topgallantmasts gives you a lot nicer and more realistic rig, tops, etc. and with a great hull like that, she deserves that I think! :)

Thanks! I'm glad I could finally get the hull shaping down! Now to refine some other building tactics!

The masts so far are just place holders (probably should have mentioned that! :laugh:) I'll do some research for a triple masted ship of the line.

I'll work on the cabin as well, you're completely right that it doesn't quite flow yet.

8 hours ago, Bodi said:

Looking good LM, I agree with Bregir's advice about integrating more the cabin in the hull, then you could add another row of windows, usually on ships of this size, their stern cabins are double-decked.

Thanks! I'll be working on that next!

Not to push you down when you've already redone the masts, but I think they're a bit short. I usually count them as being at least as tall as the ship is long

27 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

Not to push you down when you've already redone the masts, but I think they're a bit short. I usually count them as being at least as tall as the ship is long

Not a problem at all! That's a simple fix!

Another revision of the behemoth ship!

I lengthened the masts. The mainmast is as tall as the ship is long. I'm not sure whether or not I will add sails. I may add some rolled up sails just to complete the look, but still undecided on that. Right now she sits at just under 5k pieces and is definitely the biggest ship I've ever built. She is pierced for 74 guns

42507467651_a13183a12e_b.jpgHMS Dominance 7 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

She has an upper gun deck (for a total of three) and the ships wheel as well as stair leading down to the first level below deck.

28634595408_815d70b104_b.jpgHMS Dominance 8 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Above the stern castle there is a mortar deck for besieging cities and such.

42507467631_bda9436631_b.jpgHMS Dominance 9 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Lastly, I redid the stern castle and tried to integrate it into the hull better. I like how it turned out so far.

28634595298_03c8326b5c_b.jpgHMS Dominance 10 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Edited by LM71Blackbird

I've built a couple of gunboats, nothing too special. I've three that are all the same at the moment. Here's what they look like:

42622684611_8ecc7d5379_b.jpgGunboat 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Would they be a class 1 or 2 and how different would they need do be in order to license all 3? Would different colors and crew be enough?

3 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Would they be a class 1 or 2 

I think this is a large class 1. They are comparable to this one.

4 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

how different would they need do be in order to license all 3? Would different colors and crew be enough?

To your question, no. Since you can simply copy and paste in LDD, even more so. The difference has to be large enough that it is comparable to building an entirely new vessel. The benchmark is a physical build, where a player builds several gunboats. They may be similar, but they are each their own build and must have some differences. Makes sense?

Just now, LM71Blackbird said:

@Bregir Makes perfect sense.

To piggy-back off of this, what about 10 class 0 boats that I have built for this Build?

Will get back to you on this. We are currently discussing small boats in court. Will keep you updated :)

5 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Will get back to you on this. We are currently discussing small boats in court. Will keep you updated :)

Thank you! I'm in no hurry to license them so no rush!

Agreed to your licensing sizes - and nice gunboats. A few things you can consider:

• Bow/stern
    It is hard for me to distinguish bow and stern on these boats (apart from assuming that the rowers are facing backwards). Perhaps adding rudders, or a flat transom plate in the stern would make them look more harmonic?
  • Rigging
    The rigging on the third boat looks very strange. First of all, for a boat this size, you should have a pole mast (remove the thick piece and make it a one piece mast). I would also make the mast higher. Again, there is some confusion as to back and forth. The rowers seem to suggest that the bow is to the right, while the rigging suggests it is to the left... :)

33 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Agreed to your licensing sizes - and nice gunboats. A few things you can consider:

• Bow/stern
    It is hard for me to distinguish bow and stern on these boats (apart from assuming that the rowers are facing backwards). Perhaps adding rudders, or a flat transom plate in the stern would make them look more harmonic?
  • Rigging
    The rigging on the third boat looks very strange. First of all, for a boat this size, you should have a pole mast (remove the thick piece and make it a one piece mast). I would also make the mast higher. Again, there is some confusion as to back and forth. The rowers seem to suggest that the bow is to the right, while the rigging suggests it is to the left... :)

Thanks!

Yeah, I can see how they would be hard to distinguish... The rowers are supposed to be facing backward. On the third ship, the sail was kind of an experiment, so I'll adjust it a little bit.

So I've been working on another class 10, I plan on calling her the HMS Resilience. Here is the progress I have so far. I think she's got a good looking curve. The lower gun ports might be a tad bit low, but I'm not sure. Right now she is pierced for 126 guns spread across 3 decks, but before she's done I want there to be at least 140 guns in total. I really want to try and do the stern the right way, so I am going to spend a lot of time getting it just right.

42766509481_e5ec72ef45_b.jpgHMS Resilience by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

27897516017_673efdd7b6_b.jpgHMS Resilience 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

27897516147_a950051f52_b.jpgHMS Resilience 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr