Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

On 5.12.2017 at 12:29 PM, Bregir said:

She is an absolute beauty! And most builders I know start from the keel up, not from the bow backward - an interesting approach! How do you ensure horizontal strength? Is it hinged together by technic connectors, simply by brick beams? It doesn't look like your first ship, so I am assuming you have tried it all before... ;)

The shaping around the bow is excellent and your headrails look great. I don't personally think she is too round, but it depends a little on the period. I think later ships would have a sharper bow.

For suggestions, it seems like you might be forgetting the chainplates? (For fixing the shrouds to the hull)

Could you show a picture of her from the side?

I hope you will keep us posted on your progress, and if you are tempted to join BoBS "properly", I know 4 factions aching for shipbuilders! ;)

Yeah I decided to go from the bow backwards, because I built it in modules for better transport. The inside of the ship is sadly for stability purpose only. It is supported by bricks and hinges for the angles.

For the shaping of the bow and the period i am not sure. It has to be after Nelson simply because of the chequer and the colour scheme. But when I add sails to her she would lean forwards and the bow seems to be very round under full sails. I am not sure about the sails right now.... I dont have any experience with custom sails so far :/

I have one chainplate "try" at the front right side of the ship so far. Ofc there will be added more!

I will take some pictures from the side aswell. The tumblehome could be improved... I will show you my new design of that aswell. Right now I am waiting for more bricks :D Ordered some 2x2x3 Slopes for easier shaping! For BoBS I think I will join when I am happy with my first complete ship :pir-sweet:

Merc, your ship is looking much sleeker with the lower center lines! You did a good job making your sail rolled up too. I'd eliminate the four studs long section at your widest part and maintain the section that goes out, but is one stud inside of it that's 12 studs long.

Ragni, your ship is looking fantastic and I like your tumblehome technique! 

@merc A nice try :wink: As Dukesc said, I would try to make the middle part more narrow ( = fewer protruding studs (one?) right and left)

@Ragni Norgrimson That's a fabulous and very smartly made tumblehome :cry_happy:, although a very part consuming one :sceptic: )

Ok, I'm going to tentatively dip a toe into the mystical world of ship building again!

I'm trying to build a brick built hull using the hinge method, starting with a smaller (class 2) vessel. Here is what I have so far:

24126184617_f2d33b7884_z.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated, although the parts I am struggling with at the moment are how to integrate the curved hull into the bow and stern.

@Ayrlego It's looking good so far! Interesting choice to build below the sea line. I usually build a cross structure that is connected to the hull at the sides, but not at the bow and stern. The hinges are then moved as close as possible. The drawback is that it often leads to small gaps between the keel and hull, particularly at the bow.

25122723388_b2cfdbf110.jpg

@blackdeathgrYeah it is indeed very part consuming :cry_sad: But it's worth it I think!

@Ayrlego Nice start! As you can see on the pics I used this technique only for the bow. It struggles a little bit in stability. It all works in LDD built ships i guess but with real plastic gravity is an issue. For the Bow section: Try to fit in another hinge plate so you have one on ech side. then combine them in the bowsprit section with a hinge brick with 2x2 upper part to fit the hull shape.

@Ayrlego An excellent start! Regarding the bow section,I am with @Ragni Norgrimson on that. To eliminate that nasty gap @Flavius Gratian has observed, you can try ending up with a 2x2 beak. More often than not, it's not the most elegant solution I have seen, still you end up without that gap. Other than that, all three ships have beautiful curves!

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

@Ayrlego An excellent start! Regarding the bow section,I am with @Ragni Norgrimson on that. To eliminate that nasty gap @Flavius Gratian has observed, you can try ending up with a 2x2 beak. More often than not, it's not the most elegant solution I have seen, still you end up without that gap. Other than that, all three ships have beautiful curves!

Not nessesarily so! You can still go from two stud wide beak to one stud wide beak at the edge of the boat hull by using 2x1 technic bricks with one hole and a snotted beak.

5 hours ago, Ragni Norgrimson said:

Not nessesarily so! You can still go from two stud wide beak to one stud wide beak at the edge of the boat hull by using 2x1 technic bricks with one hole and a snotted beak.

Nice idea!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.