Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

13 minutes ago, NOD said:

Your attitude pleases me. :pir-classic: I did not see this rule. In my experience, building at eurobricks is equivalent to real Leogs and digital. The building skills are different but we can see a photo of both at the end.

It had something to do with part/colour availability, stability/physics and such, I think I read it at one of the challenge things, but it made sense to me. As originally my ship had many parts that turned out very expensive to source, like a few clips in reddish brown were like 3.5 EUR/piece, so had to drop them. And some other pieces, like the long bars turned out to be 2-5 EUR a piece (depending on colour) so had to swap them for lots of small ones put directly after each other.
And regarding stability... Well... When I designed the ship digitally, it looked and seemed stable, needless to say, I had to redesign the inside like 3 times in order to actually get it to be stable :laugh_hard:.

Plus, you can do really funky things, like my checkpoint built I had the seagulls and such flying over, no way that would have been possible with fysical bricks ^^.
But digital also has some downsides, like plants and greebling which you want to place more randomly, and you actually have to rotate and spend a long time on getting that right digitally, were as with physical bricks it's very easy!

So yeah, overall design/construction are definitely equal in terms of visuals! In those cases it really doesn't matter wether or not something has been digital or physical, it's just the layer below it that is quite different between the two options! :wink:

On 12/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, Justsomebrix said:

If you look closely you'll see I made the lower ones larger then the two upper decks. However as I wanted to have them all brickbuilt I understand it can be hard to notice.

canon test

I can definetly make a third even smaller canon for the upper deck though

Im going to echo what's already been said ... Heavy guns on the bottom and lighter as you go up.  I love the mid deck guns and the lower deck as they look convincing.  The upper deck look too heavy however.  The rest of the ship is looking great ... However the hardest parts (at least for me) are always the bow and aft lol. Excited to see this develop

On 11/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Still needs a little work, but I'm quite happy with how it is turning out. Thank you for the help!

51658139449_86b9c3989b_b.jpg20211105_190804 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

51657470146_29029f7551_b.jpg20211105_190821 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

51657470091_c425173e3c_b.jpg20211105_190831 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

And just for fun here is what I started with to what I ended up with:

Hide contents

Massive improvement ... I would love to see her more curvy in the middle but overall it's looking nice

On 2/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, Thomas Waagenaar said:

Hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks I'll be able to finally call my first ship, which carries the name " L'Aurelié " done!

The rigging is finished  to a level I'm content with. Sadly no sails as she's positioned right below my AC unit (which is up against the wall behind her), which is powerful enough to have blown away loose bricks when building her in the first place 😅.

She's a 44-cannon heavy frigate. Her armament consists of 28x 28 pounders, and 16x 18 pounders, of which 2 in aft and 2 in fore chase configuration. Overall she's 108cm long as shown by the measuring tape.

I'm just waiting for the few custom printed bricks and custom flags to arrive before I take better pictures (this one is terrible, I know) and officially post her. Have yet to figure out how I'll pay for the license... But I'll find a way.

Hoping to be able to license her as a Class 8, based on her size and armament, taking into account she was brick-built rather than just a digital concept either. If the court approves, of course!

And then, I can finally make my characters story start, after having signed up almost a year ago... 

20220217_182114.jpg

All those strings! Man she looks great!

Did you post her somewhere with more pictures yet ... Sorry I've been absent

@Roadmonkeytj Thank you, I shortened the upper deck cannons significantly and started on the bow and aft... and yeah, you're totally right, it is by far the most complicated parts :pir-murder:

Ship of the line WIPShip of the line WIPShip of the line WIPShip of the line WIP

I wanted to post a little update for you guys. So I made the ship a little bit longer and expanded the width as well. I also started the interior, by adding things such as stairs, a kitchen/furnace and a capstan.

I am really loving how the ship is developing, but I have to admit I am really struggling with the cabin.

As always, all tips and criticism are welcome.

Edited by Justsomebrix

So

I am trying to build my first bigger ship. Nothing fancy, basically just playing with possibilities. My two questions:

how do you build up from hull pieces? I did not found any corresponding bow ones, am I missing somethig or all lego set are building it from scratch?

BrickLink - Part 2557c04 : LEGO Boat, Hull Large Bow 12 x 16 x 5 1/3, Top Color Dark Gray [Boat] - BrickLink Reference Catalog

and second: does onybody found out some satisfactory method how to build latten sails in stud.io? Square sails are easy but if someone has a tip how to make triangle sail with some volume in it I am all ears! Generally I am not happy with the whole front/bow but for first ship I think I can live with taht and try to improve on the next one.

lod2-08-44-30-Copy-3.png

Edited by omnihash_cz

It is always a challenge to build up from the bow pieces, regardless of whether you use both, or just the bottom one. I don't think I have a fixed approach, and always end up with some combinations of slopes, hinges, and rounded pieces. Never really found the golden bullet, but I guess that is part of the fun. That said, I think you have found a pretty neat solution in your ship here! She is looking nice!

For future vessels, particularly large ships like this, you could consider sheer, which is the curve from bow to stern, that you will see on most shops, most pronounced on older types like galleons. That may also make it easier to integrate the cabin more into the hull. (You have a bit of the box-on-hull look that official Lego ships also have)

Looking forward to following her progress and see the final result!

@Justsomebrix she is looking damned sexy, man! Excellent sheer, tumblehome and overall shape, and some nice details on deck too. I generally find myself, in physical bricks, witha a similar building process, ending up with a bow and stern that needs figuring out and building after so much else is ready! Best I can say is, fail it till you nail it! Experiment, learn, pick apart, and try again, until you are happy. Never be afraid to redesign, particularly not when you can save several iterations and always restore former versions!

54 minutes ago, Bregir said:

@Justsomebrix she is looking damned sexy, man! Excellent sheer, tumblehome and overall shape, and some nice details on deck too. I generally find myself, in physical bricks, witha a similar building process, ending up with a bow and stern that needs figuring out and building after so much else is ready! Best I can say is, fail it till you nail it! Experiment, learn, pick apart, and try again, until you are happy. Never be afraid to redesign, particularly not when you can save several iterations and always restore former versions!

Thank you, it meens a lot ! Sadly I haven't made much progress since I posted the last update (I've been focusing more on properties to progress my story) but I really like the ship and hope to finish her this summer. I'm sure she would be very useful against the Monomonto Atakebunes in the war against the Lotii :pir-wink:

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

It is always a challenge to build up from the bow pieces, regardless of whether you use both, or just the bottom one. I don't think I have a fixed approach, and always end up with some combinations of slopes, hinges, and rounded pieces. Never really found the golden bullet, but I guess that is part of the fun. That said, I think you have found a pretty neat solution in your ship here! She is looking nice!

For future vessels, particularly large ships like this, you could consider sheer, which is the curve from bow to stern, that you will see on most shops, most pronounced on older types like galleons. That may also make it easier to integrate the cabin more into the hull. (You have a bit of the box-on-hull look that official Lego ships also have)

Looking forward to following her progress and see the final result!

Huh, thanks for the sheer, dully noted. I am aware of my cube-ish look and I'll try to tackle it  although I am opting definitely more for lego look than photorealistic models.

Soo..  what's the state-of-art lego hull now? Building it completely from scratch via hinges and snots? I have to admit that's little above my current skills. I can work with layers but these completely organic shapes are out of my league. 

1 hour ago, omnihash_cz said:

I have to admit that's little above my current skills. I can work with layers but these completely organic shapes are out of my league. 

I understand brick-built hulls may seem daunting, but I think they are not as tricky as you might think (and the shape and result will definitely be worth the effort)!

My recent ship had a brick-built hull and I am by no means an expert at shipbuilding.

1 hour ago, omnihash_cz said:

Soo..  what's the state-of-art lego hull now? Building it completely from scratch via hinges and snots? I have to admit that's little above my current skills. I can work with layers but these completely organic shapes are out of my league.  

I have built both, and believe I will continue to do so going forward. They each have their strengths and challenges, and I don't personally rank one over the other.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, omnihash_cz said:

Huh, thanks for the sheer, dully noted. I am aware of my cube-ish look and I'll try to tackle it  although I am opting definitely more for lego look than photorealistic models.

I've never tackled a full brick built hull ... Definitely have done some half hulls for vinettes but never a full ship.  CaptainGreenhair did an excellent tutorial a long time ago on using the prefab hulls, Sebeus also had a wonderful method using prefab hulls ... I'm sure someone not on mobile can link to those gentlemen.  There have been countless others since them to use similar methods (they just stand out because they were my inspiration).  There is definitely no right or wrong ... I've seen some awesome cartoonist style ships on a rowboat and I've seen some that can hold a candle to a wood ship kit.  It's all about what your goal is ... Do you want realism or more Lego style with the oversized cabin and bow ... 

Can anyone give me some advice on how to build small boats? I'm looking to build something similar to a Faering:

norwegian-faering-splash.jpg

I'm not too worried about hull thickness, as I'm using it for a Viking funeral (I can just fill it up with timber, etc.). However, I might make the boat "in the round", so I want the hull to be viewable from below if possible.

IDK, does anyone have any smart ideas to get me started? I don't usually brick-build my boats. This is probably the closest I've been so far:

Young scholar in the floating city of Salobrinsk

But this looks more like a lake boat to me. Doesn't have the curvature at the gunwales that I might want...

Edited by Ross Fisher

It looks better photographed from a different angle. It's 1 brick wider. The rudder was too high, luckily nobody noticed. Maybe you can still do something on the bow and stern.

51413476255_06886a543d_b.jpgFFSR 02 by Philippe, auf Flickr

I've done a fair share of small boats - mine usually start with a 1x1 keel with some SNOT/travis bricks to hold the sides together in it and work up from there with a bunch of curved slopes.  Here's the original and a bunch of variations on it (one of them even a micro longship - you probably want it a bit bigger though :grin:)

33127716850_c05418c752_z.jpg

Spoiler

44019082361_02e1af2fd3_z.jpg

40886392872_897dd720ea_z.jpg

24833011138_22d06a8fb2_z.jpg

40106379120_495a04ef81_z.jpg

35173389524_5a75a62106_z.jpg

This one's slightly different - quite different actually, as I had to modify it significantly to work in the port holes.  You won't need those, of course, but if you removed those you might be able to do something with the curves it gives you :pir-huzzah2:  It starts with a tiled studs-up keel instead of snotted. 

48988157607_67a1a5c6ec_z.jpg

I know Bregir's done something a little similar to my first design but elongated a good deal more for a gunboat or something of the sort - might want to look that up if these don't end up long enough!

52169948954_d55b63960b_k.jpg

I've started another vessel, not sure when and if I'll finish it. Already got a nice colourscheme figured out, hope it works out as planned, but transitioning the curve isn't easy...

5 hours ago, Legostone said:

I've started another vessel, not sure when and if I'll finish it. Already got a nice colourscheme figured out, hope it works out as planned, but transitioning the curve isn't easy...

That's looking great! Is there a IRL inspiration for it?

Also, good to see you're alive. :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

That's looking great! Is there a IRL inspiration for it?

Also, good to see you're alive. :pir-grin:

52170979210_0dfb5a5984_b.jpg

34138167222_cf43f4c980_c.jpg

Though I have planned a different colourscheme, but I'm not willing to share it yet ;) 

Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, Legostone said:

I have planned a different colourscheme, but I'm not willing to share it yet ;)

I'm sure it'll be good. I love the IRL inspiration! :pir-thumb:

The lower half looks great already, looking forward to when it is done!

And yeah, good to see you are still around. :pir-sweet:

On 6/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, Legostone said:

52169948954_d55b63960b_k.jpg

On 6/25/2022 at 12:25 AM, Legostone said:

52170979210_0dfb5a5984_b.jpg

34138167222_cf43f4c980_c.jpg

Though I have planned a different colourscheme, but I'm not willing to share it yet ;) 

Thanks! 

I definitely want to see this complete! :pir-stareyes:

:pir-thumb:

I have never built a Lego ship/boat before and I want to know what the best way to start is. What pieces should I get, where should I buy these pieces, and what are some techniques I should know? (I want to start off with something small)

21 minutes ago, Sultan said:

I have never built a Lego ship/boat before and I want to know what the best way to start is. What pieces should I get, where should I buy these pieces, and what are some techniques I should know? (I want to start off with something small)

The first thing you need is reference material. Not, necessarily for accuracy or realism, but for a clear vision and example of what you which to achieve. Don't get me wrong, I always say "When in doubt, do it the way they did it back then." But, even if you say you want to make a Black Pearl, even though she'd sail about as well as a brick in a real-world setting, she's great choice in that there is so much reference material available. From the movies to other media from the franchise to other builder's efforts, there's no need to re-invent anything you don't feel a creative itch to do so about. In the same vane, if you do go real-world, starting small is a good idea. I'd suggest one of the popularly modeled naval cutters, like Alert, for much the same reason as Black Pearl. Once you pick a design, technique starts to solve it's self.

Cheers! :pir-huzzah2:

3 hours ago, Sultan said:

Hello there, Sultan!

Kurigan has some good points - finding an inspiration is a good place to start!
I would suggest taking a look around this forum. There are many interesting examples of smaller vessels. I would suggest simply getting started. And if you have the funds, buying an official pirate-ship set, such as the creator set or Barracuda bay. Bricklink is a great place to find pieces, in my experience, and complements an existing collection and sets well, allowing you to pick and chose.
Two simple techniques to try out could be (pardon me for using my own mocs as examples):

In other news, I have finally taken apart the HMS Ironsides, after her sinking some tMRCAs back, and realised I never showed the details of her construction, built with a technique I have not see elsewhere (nor repeated myself, yet). So I figured I would remedy that.

Here she is in all her glory:

29727669610_5e8699aa6e_c.jpg

And here is a few breakdown pictures. I built up her sheer, widening her hull a bit midships with jumper plates, and added cheese slopes sloping inwards. I then build up sides completely snot, and placed them snugly in place. Actually surprisingly stable in construction. (Only issue being the chains not beeing quite strong enough, remedied in later designs)

52350562413_2e5ab56220_c.jpg

52349365897_30726ea3ae_c.jpg

52350319556_20635cbc63_c.jpg

52350635654_8e2dee43ae_c.jpg

Hope this was somewhat interesting to see. Happy to address any questions.

Hi Guys i'm a new builder and I want to use Studio to create my ship model before buy it, but I'm struggling with Hinges! Does someone can help me?

Ship WIP 2

this is the effect i want to give to my ship 

This is my recent work but I had to abbandon this because the sides did't came very well and in plus i wants to use the hinge technique for a realistic build! I hope to find some help

Edited by CptJacob