Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

@TomSkippy I was heading to bed after a very long day when I posted my link and didn't take a very close look at the images. To me it's clear because I was there and the images just jog my memory, but you might not be picking up on what's pictured. On the historic frigate that whole thing would be the stern cabin's "coach top" sky light and might have a companion way , but likely wouldn't. On this modern replica, there is a companion way, it's that hatch furthest aft. The section to either side with the spindles, which looks like it's supposed to mimic the windows of a sky light, are lockers for flotation devices. I didn't get to peek in-to the hatch on the starboard side, but I imagine it's more safety equipment.

When she visited Philadelphia, it was a mob scene and the lower decks were off limits. Only the waist could be observed from the gangways, but I understand that some of the crew were staying in the stern cabin as it's not set up like a captain's quarters on a historic frigate. Even the windows in the stern gallery are dead lights. In any case, I was shooed away from that aft most hatch buy deck crew who said it was a private space and other crew were down there off watch. It did feel as though there was a cool bast, as if from air conditioning, coming from below though.

Dave

@Bregir *sigh* yeah, photobucket has really started to suck, thanks for the heads-up. I'd like to move everything somewhere better but who sucks less, ya know? I don't like how Flickr works and I have sooo much saved on photobucket as is ?

Any way here's some deep linked selects, hope they work:

IMG_2779_zpsdiplqqqa.jpg

IMG_2778_zpsimyybnix.jpg

IMG_2781_zpspodanltj.jpg

If you find you can navigate my photobucket, there's, not just my MOCs in detail, but lots of images from this and other ship visits. There's little more handy to a modeler than getting to see things full scale ?

Dave

Edited by kurigan

2 hours ago, kurigan said:

@Bregir *sigh* yeah, photobucket has really started to suck, thanks for the heads-up. I'd like to move everything somewhere better but who sucks less, ya know? I don't like how Flickr works and I have sooo much saved on photobucket as is ?

Brickshelf is my go to for LEGO stuff. You could also try imgur, especially if you post to Reddit a lot.

@Count Vroskri

Sorry I'm so late in the game, just saw that this post was forgotten... Here are a couple of ideas for 16 wide...

1) Grab a 16 wide premade bow piece (both parts are even available in white white)

2) Get a million hinge plates (you can see a demonstration here... many ship mocs use that bow technique)

Good luck! (if you've gone a different route, we'd love to see it!)

Hello Fellow Shipwrights,

I have many complete ships to show you, but not yet. 

Here's a teaser of a stern of a early frigate, based on a the real plans of a pirate ship from POTC.

I am taking a bit of artistic licence as there aren't many complete plans for her. 

Well, bragging rights to anyone who can guess who it is! 

@TomSkippy

I went a different way, but you'll all have to wait a bit to see my completed ships. I'm the end I have got a load of hulls, but I'm using them for something else..... 

Here's my class 2 free vessel. Cutter Sea Wench.

Cutter Sea Wench

Edited by Count Vroskri
Forgot something.

On 8/15/2020 at 8:49 PM, TomSkippy said:

Quick question: what do you guys think of the mast placement for this frigate?

50230271007_130c2f98ee_c.jpg

@TomSkippyI'd move the mizzen 2-4 studs back but its up to you really. Frigates are super tricky. I've Been working on one for a month and a half. 

@Professor ThaumThaum do I have to register the sea Wench as a free build, as well as licencing it as a ship? 

Edited by Count Vroskri
Forgot something.

22 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Yeah you have to fill the build submital form too

@Professor Thaum, OK we're is it located?

Edit: I have found it and submitted it. 

Edited by Count Vroskri
Found something.

Hello Fellow Shipwrights. I am wip a ketch, three midsections, I would like feedback on it so far, especially the colour scheme. 

Ketch treasure of posieden WIP

Ketch treasure of posieden WIP

Yes, that is the Arctic roller :pir-laugh:

12 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Hello Fellow Shipwrights. I am wip a ketch, three midsections, I would like feedback on it so far, especially the colour scheme. 

Looking good! I like the colour.

@Bodi

Thanks very much. The colour scheme was the bit I wasn't sure about. Sadly, she probably won't be finished in a while as the parts I ordered two months ago haven't even been dispatched. :pir-murder:

:pir-cry_sad:

Edit : hooray! They've been shipped. 

Edited by Count Vroskri
New update

My parts have arrived. This is my skulls eye schooner redux wip, actually a schooner.

Skulls eye schooner redux WIP

Skulls eye schooner redux WIP

@Bregir

I think the shipwrights guild has been unpinned. Has this happened or am I going mad? 

It was bound to happen ... I have been playing around with the baracuda in LDD trying to figure out how to lower the cabin I managed to lower it two bricks ... Then my brain sent me down a rabbit hole and this was the result ... Im not sure if I should proceed or scrap it at this point ... Thoughts?

IMG_20201015_120516231

On 10/15/2020 at 6:17 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Then my brain sent me down a rabbit hole and this was the result

:roflmao::iamded_lol:

On 10/15/2020 at 8:02 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Go on, make some brick built sails and add some crew

On 10/15/2020 at 6:17 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Im not sure if I should proceed or scrap it at this point ... Thoughts?

Exactly, add sails, crew and maybe a small island with some monkeys, everyone loves a ship but I would show it in action! In LDD you have infiniate bricks there, so why not!

The ship looks very nice IMO. Keep going! 

I would change the ship though:

The Spanker/driveryards don not look nice I think. The crooked yellow bowparts also didn't work in LDD I see?

Edited by Fraunces

On 10/15/2020 at 12:17 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

It was bound to happen ... I have been playing around with the baracuda in LDD trying to figure out how to lower the cabin I managed to lower it two bricks ... Then my brain sent me down a rabbit hole and this was the result ... Im not sure if I should proceed or scrap it at this point ... Thoughts?

As far as a Lego ship goes, it's fine, you're on a good track to a more sleek design. As for realism, you'd have quite a few hurdles to overcome in terms of proportioning. Essentially it breaks down to: you don't so much need to lower the cabin as raise the gundeck. It's the pre-fab hull conundrum in a nut shell. While the underside of the curve gives visual queues toy the eye that you're looking at a boat in the water, very little of that is ever above the water line on a real wooden ship, as such. That means two things. 1. the water line, where it should be, is way up above the surface, as if she's beached. 2. there isn't enough internal space for anything below the gundeck where it is and those ports are way to close to the the actual water line. When you're playing around with BSB et al, don't try so hard, they're just for fun, and chasing realism is a fools errand, sure to drive you nuts.

:pir-wink:

Dave

Edited by kurigan

9 hours ago, kurigan said:

2. there isn't enough internal space for anything below the gundeck where it is and those ports are way to close to the the actual water line.

In a minifigure scale galley frigate (frigate with Oars (and sometimes gunports and ballast ports) on the lower deck) the lower deck oar and gun ports are 2 feet from the waterline, aka a brick and 2 plates in midships. Although this is illusion scale, I think it would be fine. 

Edited by Count Vroskri

Thanks all for the input!

@kurigan the original intent of the exercise was to acheive a sleaker rear cabin to look less toy like without completely redoing the look ... I will see about raising the gun line up

If you are the smartest in the room, then your in the wrong room - confucius