Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

Just now, Count Vroskri said:

Thanks so far everyone, but I think I have been a bit too vague. The ship is a beam width of 16 studs. I've sorted out the narrowing at the stern, the method I used won't work at the bow. The ship is galleon shaped, so I hope now I've cleared that up you might have more ideas. 

I don't know how you've built the hull, if it's built with bricks piled vertically, you may use curved and slope bricks attached horizontally (snot) to achieve an elliptical form. 

I would show a pic, I've uploaded it to Flickr but it doesn't want to insert into my reply. Any ideas why this is? 

56 minutes ago, Count Vroskri said:

I would show a pic, I've uploaded it to Flickr but it doesn't want to insert into my reply. Any ideas why this is? 

No idea, Flickr is no longer accessible to me, luckily there are lot of skilled shipwrights here, I'm sure you'll have better advices from them.:classic:

1 hour ago, Count Vroskri said:

On the lower right, you have a curved arrow. Click that, and then a dialogue box will open. If you then select bb-code up top, you will get an embed link.

General Question:

As I'm getting more and more interested in sailing ships I'd like to have a book in english (german would go aswell) that gives a good overview. Preferably with "blueprints" of historical ships or examples in general, maybe someone of you has something like that?

32 minutes ago, Legonaut said:

General Question:

As I'm getting more and more interested in sailing ships I'd like to have a book in english (german would go aswell) that gives a good overview. Preferably with "blueprints" of historical ships or examples in general, maybe someone of you has something like that?

I recommend Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Man-of-War, gives a fairly insightful look of life and design of a 1st rate, also try some of the british maritime museum's archives, you might find something...

Hello all!

I was sorting through my collection and wanted to build upon my only prefab-hull.

So here she is, HMS Forbearance. Trouble is, I'm a complete novice. I took inspiration from other ships and I think she is a schooner (maybe too fat, I'm not sure)?

Anyways, your feedback would be much appreciated so far! :pir-blush:

49966476433_771101a0da_c.jpg

49967257547_d0c282a7df_z.jpg

49967257607_35df13cbeb_c.jpg

You are off to a great start, Spud!

When looking at her hull, I am thinking brig, but those raked masts (or is that an optical illusion?) says schooner. I think you can go both ways.

In any case, I think you'd want to move the foremast forward, though. 4-6 studs, I think.

The aft mast should probably follow about the same number of studs, but it's a little hard to make out, as we don't see a straight side shot. (And there was a big variance in ships of the day anyways)

Looking forward to following her progress!

2 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

@Bregir thank you for your input!

I should say, the masts are just placeholders and are at an angle.

If you make it a schooner, I would definitely keep the angle!

@Spud The Viking Looking good! In addition to what has been said, I may suggest you to build the bow higher with white bricks, to match with the rest of ship, and you may consider to reduce the curvature amidship, usually, schooners had less pronounced curves.

Hey everyone, I'm working on a frigate based off of l'hermione. Quick question for you guys... What is this? 

50037955746_af41b9e25f_c.jpg

That is a very good question. Normally, I would expect skylights for the captains cabin there. That thing looks like some storage or similar.

I am tempted to suggest that it is the result of someone creating the model not really understanding something he sees on a painting and then trying to "interpret" it and came up with this, but I may also entirely be missing what it might be. :pir-tongue:

Doesn't your source specify what "D" is?

Clearly a very uncomfortable brig for particularly recalcitrant sailors. :pir-grin:

22 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Clearly a very uncomfortable brig for particularly recalcitrant sailors. :pir-grin:

I was actually thinking chicken coop, but that makes no sense just above the captain's cabin... Smell, noise, and all... :pir-grin:

lol, thanks for the replies guys, it's instructions for a model. There are a lot of pages, I'll probably not copy that one and instead go with a more standard looking skylight. Weird thing: now that @Kwatchi mentions it, it really does look like a disguised/styled air conditioner :pir-laugh:

On 6/23/2020 at 8:36 PM, TomSkippy said:

Hey everyone, I'm working on a frigate based off of l'hermione. Quick question for you guys... What is this? 

50037955746_af41b9e25f_c.jpg

Sorry for the late answer.

@Bregir was right, it was supposed to be the captain cabin skylights in the 18 th century.

But on the new Hermione version ( rebuild in 1997 ) they had to add to the ship many modern devices the actual ships have. Navigation Computer, (backup) engines controls, radar, sonar, etc and to be enough close to the boat helm, they were set up here, replacing the skylights.

And that's how the "modern monitoring" looks like now.

No doubt the pics is from a modern model.

Am I enough clear, or my explanation is too blurry ?

If too blurry I will try a better explanation tomorrow.

Makes sense, Professor. Have you seen the new Hermoine? I have been aching to visit!