Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

9 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't understand the complaints about lack of color, if someone clearly explains they don't have the parts on hand.

I think it's nice to see people post MOCs that clearly show effort in shaping/design, not everyone has thousands of Euro/Dollars of LEGO to pick from.

I do love those ships for sure @Disabella

Are those Dutch flags on the ship in the back? 

And the Red Lion on yellow background from the coat of arms of the Counts of Holland.

Thank you for positive feedback but colorfulness is truly a big problem.

And flags:

49763367313_27f970be4b_c.jpgIMG_20200412_124704 by Ramazan Abdullayev, on Flickr

@Disabella I've tried to get away from referencing myself, but again, I think it's the best way to illustrate my point. Read through "HMS Scorpion ...again" to understand where I'm coming from and what I'm suggesting. I can't speak for others, but i'm not saying you should buy more bricks, but, rather, temper your ambitions according to what you have. Read it through, suffer the comments and follow the links. Don;t come away, thinking i'm trying to force my technique on you, or any one else, though. It's about the learning process i went through which inspired those choices.

@TeriXeri Well, now, don't be like that either :pir-look:. Not trying to make you feel bad. 

5 hours ago, kurigan said:

@TeriXeri Well, now, don't be like that either :pir-look:. Not trying to make you feel bad. 

Don't worry, I'm past the situation :thumbup:

I'm still planning to build/modify a ship myself at some point later, when I get the Pirates of Barracuda Bay + the 3-in-1 Pirate Ship sets + using other parts I already have.

Maybe I'll add some more green to the stern of the Barracuda to look more like the VOC Amsterdam (1748).

Replica of the ship seen moored at a museum in Amsterdam :

220px-VOC_Amsterdam.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

Speaking of not having the proper materials for a larger ship, here is my WIP. Rather than not having enough bricks, I have plenty, yet they are not well suited to shipbuilding. Nevertheless, I've created a small vessel, class 1 (maybe 2?), and I actually agree with Kurigan. Being somewhat of a perfectionist, I'd rather have a small but decent boat than a larger piece of modern art, maybe that's just me though... :pir-tongue:

49766409346_1160640ecf_b.jpg49765876133_0081191dc8_b.jpg

WIP Tyree'de War Canoe

WIP Tyree'de war canoe for the challenge. I tried to take the hull shape and war paint of Pacific Northwest Indian War canoes, cut the bow down to clear a swivel gun, then added a sail and an outrigger (other side) to blend in a little Polynesian influence and make it more believable as an ocean-going craft.  Suggestions?

1 hour ago, Sir Kingston said:

49766409346_1160640ecf_b.jpg

OH-BOY-001_zpsbvd4efgh.jpg

and you, sir should check out Ramcat :pir-wink:  think you may be closer to a full-size vessel than you think.

To achieve the tapering towards the the stern are you physically bending the structure or are there some hinge pieces?

Edited by Sir Kingston

19 minutes ago, Sir Kingston said:

To achieve the tapering towards the the stern are you physically bending the structure or are there some hinge pieces?

Indeed! I really need to get on top of that old photobucket. this thread has some accessible shots of that sort of structure though.

Edit: Oh good, i do have images on the current photobucket!

https://s62.photobucket.com/user/Dave_Stasny/library/My Original Lego Creations/Ramcat?sort=2&page=1

Edited by kurigan

Thanks to @kurigan I've constructed a slightly more realistic boat. The bow section of the boat is a bit multi-coloured and the bowsprit isn't exactly desirable, but with some rigging, it might work well enough for the MCRA... 

49767496226_0aca85c443_b.jpg49767823552_7a95b3a03e_b.jpg49767496191_edcb0f1759_b.jpg

While it is absolutely fine as it is and I love it (given my love for medium/small vessels), If I were you, I would try to  make the bow 2 studs instead of 4 if possible. It will make it look sleeker. In order to do so, you can overlap those hinged bricks, using each one at a different row of bricks. I don't know how you can add the bowsprit later but a little experimenting is a good way to learn designing ships in LEGO form (and know the limits of your brick collection :pir-hmpf: )

12 hours ago, The Sarge said:

Suggestions?

The hull is nicely curved, looking good so far, my only suggestion is to remove the swivel at the front, and replace it by some sort of catapult or arbalest, or just leave it unarmed.

I just wanted to share a little spoiler of an AMRCA I've planned long time ago and that has taken a huge amount of my time (an of my ship masts)… I'll call this ship Le Terreur, and probably you can get why! :pir-grin:

IMG_3612 edited

BTW, in this photo it seems far shorter than its actual size (40 studs from bow to stern)! I've to take pics from a better perspective! :pir_tong2:

Edited by Keymonus

@Sir Kingston looking good, but you could go a lot wider and get a bit more of a ship shape out of her. The widest point of a sloop/cutter, should be the channels, which are those platforms to either side of the hull, corresponding to the mast. Widen her by a stud or two there as well as at the stern for something more realistic. Also, what @blackdeathgr said about experimenting and staggering hinges is on point. Don't worry so much about symmetry in parts, so long as it serves a better overall effect. Often overlooked is the value of odd numbers in Lego. Look again at Ramcat and see that she is three wide at the bow with a one wide prow. All my other hulls also have a one stud prow for what I think is a superior effect over classic standard two wide.

cheers!

Edited by kurigan

@Sir KingstonLooking good! You're well on your way :pir-huzzah2: Covering the white hinges with plates, works, but might I suggest: before copper sheeting became the universal standard, most ships were white-washed below the waterline in a similar effort to preserve the wood against plants and critters. Going forward with further refinement or other builds, you could perhaps arrange those white hinges along the bottom to represent that bit of white which is visible above the surface. Just a thought :pir-wink: Thanks for listening, keep building!

Dave

Edited by kurigan

How does everyone build brick built bows when not using lego's prefabs? 

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Count Vroskri said:

Thanks in advance.

Check my first BoBs ship, with only inverted slopes and parts 41749 and 41750 for the bow I made a hull ( the pic for the figurehead will show you the bow) :

And this is only one possibility among numerous others

4 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Thanks in advance.

On a small scale, at the end of this thread there is a breakdown for my boats.  They can be scaled up a decent amount before they start to look odd.

Thanks so far everyone, but I think I have been a bit too vague. The ship is a beam width of 16 studs. I've sorted out the narrowing at the stern, the method I used won't work at the bow. The ship is galleon shaped, so I hope now I've cleared that up you might have more ideas. 

Edited by Count Vroskri
Bad grammar and misspelling