Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

49284763718_c6f341bb6c_c.jpg

This is my first large vessel in quite a while, so I am looking for some advice on the style of rigging to go for. I was thinking square would make the most sense. What class would you say this is? I was going for a class 5 merchant vessel. Also any other suggestions for improvement? I was finally able to get back to this over the holidays as it had languished since March of 2018, so I was hoping to finalize it soon. 

4 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

I was thinking square would make the most sense.

Works for me. How fast will she be? I'd love to see all the staysails and studsails included.

On 12/28/2019 at 5:34 AM, SilentWolf said:

This is my first large vessel in quite a while, so I am looking for some advice on the style of rigging to go for. I was thinking square would make the most sense. What class would you say this is? I was going for a class 5 merchant vessel. Also any other suggestions for improvement? I was finally able to get back to this over the holidays as it had languished since March of 2018, so I was hoping to finalize it soon. 

I'd go for some part square rigger - you could potentially go for a barque or barquantine (with schooner rig on the mizzen and potentially the main too, but square rig on the other(s)). Class 5 looks right to me.

For improvements? Hmm, I really like what you have so far, but it looks a bit strange to me that it doesn't have any gun ports down the middle, so I think I would add two more.

Hey everyone, I'm back from a lengthy hiatus. I'm struggling to find good Lego examples of a companionway. I've rebuilt it 4-5 times and I have nothing, at this point I'm digging through every old post here I can find. Any pics? What's the prettiest you've seen?

8 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Hey everyone, I'm back from a lengthy hiatus. I'm struggling to find good Lego examples of a companionway. I've rebuilt it 4-5 times and I have nothing, at this point I'm digging through every old post here I can find. Any pics? What's the prettiest you've seen?

Can you remind us what the companionway is? Is it the same as the gangway (running down the sides of the ship connecting forecastle and quarterdeck)

@Bregir It’s the little house on deck that leads below

When I was first building here, someone commented on one I’d built. I had no clue. Way to ask.

@Wellesley

Thanks for the rigging pics ... I've heard others tie the one end then wrap the rat around the shroud then tie the other side.  With it tucked through is it easier to tie the trailing shroud?

@Masked Mini

Looking good ... Thanks for the step by step ... One of these days I will get around to this technique lol.

@SilentWolf

Looking good ... Is the horse helmet attached or just resting in place?

So I've been occupied with work again (12hr days pay well but leave me drained by evening).
But I raided a Mom+Pop toy store in Austin last weekend and got away clean with 17 brick built cannons worth of bricks and sundries.
That put me up to 33 or 34 built, more than enough for both of the hulls I have laid up.
I also snagged every single round 2x2 in brown and black I could find making the rounds (hue hue) of the Austin Lego sellers.
Not nearly enough black to make a set of masts yet.
Also picked up some more centerpieces and a set of the black and green hulls.

In the meantime I've decided to start a Frigate build. After input from my Wife I will try to build it as a tribute to the Barracuda.
No I generally do not finish any given project until I have at least a dozen more in the works. #procrasti-nation

Question on rigging. Here’s a pic of the foremast. Other than rat lines, does it need anything else? Or is my rigging done? (I will add the lines to the bowsprit and main mast later).

49377364311_171f0bc893_b.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 8:08 PM, Masked Mini said:

No I generally do not finish any given project until I have at least a dozen more in the works. #procrasti-nation

I think I have 6 different almost finished vessels sitting around my work space... :wink:

8 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

Question on rigging. 

Looks great - and as Thaum says, those tops are real nice. How did you fix the lower end of the topmast to the top? I have been struggling with that specific connection myself.

As to rigging in general, I think you have it pretty well covered, and adding more will probably only clutter it up. Your foretopgallant-stay is hanging limp, though!

As to companionway, it is not something I have ever given much thought. On larger vessels, I have a door or opening under the quarterdeck that would cover it. On smaller vessels, I typically just show a hatch cover or similar. I won't claim any of it to be historical, but I don't think age of sail ships would have proper "phone booth"-like little houses for the companionway.

Anyone here got some good source material for Chinese (war) junks? I am looking to build Lotii ships, and find source material hard to come by. With the lotus stirring in the east, I figure we could all benefit from sharing some ideas :)

I did find this interesting photo, although of limited quality.

https://www.cardcow.com/374943/chinese-war-junk-whang-ho-transportation-boats-ships/

22 hours ago, Wellesley said:

Best thing would probably be to ask @Bodi.

Arrrgh, ironically, I don't know much about Chinese junks neither, you got some nice pictures here, but except that castle like ship, which is a fluvial war junk in the 6th century, all the others are cargo ships. In fact, purposely built warships were rare, merchantmen of different sizes were frequently used in warfare operations and due to the fragility of their hull, junks can't carry heavy guns along the deck, they had bow and stern chasers, and multiple swivels on larboard and starboard.

I've ordered a book on ancient junks and when it arrives, I'll be able to share some pics here.

@Bregir

I was tinkering with junk designs today. This is what I came up with. It is just a result of my imagination and loosely based on pictures I have seen. While it is not really accurate, I think one gets what is supposed to be. Maybe a third mast would do her justice. But then I would have to buy more parts. Hopefully I can build a second little merchant ship tomorrow as well.

49391881497_06ae21ca06.jpg49391154848_16460df482.jpg49391155088_a50994b362.jpg49391630076_0c1dae8ff5.jpg49391630166_203af57638.jpg49391630346_933d0c5a5d.jpg
49391155218_c4c7c82fe7.jpg

Instead of guns I went for fire arrows.

Edited by Wellesley

Finally, the book arrived, all the illustrations used by author came from museums and were ancient paintings, so they should be credibles.

Seagoing traders, note that the square traps are not gunports, just windows:

lx99Nn.jpg

lx9AjU.jpg

lx9eHJ.jpg

lx9nE9.jpg

lx9i90.md.jpg

War junks, they ressemble to cogs, with their high castles built for archers.

lx9wCt.jpg

lx9a4I.jpg

The wave breaker, also called bird boat, hull length was about 20m, draught about 1m, crewed by 30-50 persons, including soldiers. 

lx9UUA.jpg

Vanguard boat, hull length about 20m,.

lx9YHH.jpg

Large war junk, crew: 100 persons. two decks, the weather deck is protected by wood boards.

lx9JDe.jpg

The Eagle boat, the hull is protected with bamboo sheets and armament comprises muskets and bows.

lx908P.jpg

Very interesting, @Bodi. I find the first pictures the most enlightening in terms of hull shapes, and I am most intrigued by the flat bows of these junks. I have a feeling the leeway on these would have been absolutely horrendous!