Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

On 9/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, Wellesley said:

@The Neighborhood Merchant and @LM71Blackbird For both of you I just followed my guts and I tried to give advice that is more or less easily integrable, while not destroying your own building style.

https://youtu.be/_6Lu-wDCYVY

On 9/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, Wellesley said:

@LM71Blackbird Also a very neat "frigate" (a few guns more and we could call her that in real life, but I think we can keep the term for the BoBs).

By what system is she not?

@LM71Blackbird the first two gun ports seem awkward, being so far forward. I'd suggesting eliminating the first set of double windows on the side galleries and using that space for those guns. Cool piece thought it is, that panther just seems way too huge. Perhaps a crouching cat instead? also, how your mast are segmented in to main, top and top gallant, so to should the bowsprit be. Other wise you're on your way to a neat little Post Ship. Three masts and twenty, or more, guns warrants a Post Captain, thus a frigate :wink:

@Wellesley Long after the use of a spritsail fell out of vogue, the spar would remain standard equipment in most ship rigs. In many cases the sail existed, but mainly below decks in the locker, only brought out on an odd occasion where it might actually do some good. It hung around because it can be handy for running other points of the ships rigging as well can be swung around, like any spar, to balance the ship; not unlike a tight rope walker.

@The Neighborhood Merchant Yeah, the Main and Fore could move forward, about a gun ports worth of space. Otherwise, there's not much to give notes on. You've got it pretty well together. :thumbup:

4 hours ago, kurigan said:

By what system is she not?

Thought the Royal Navy distinguished post-ships from frigates, though they were often reffered as such.

Thanks for the informations on the spritsail! Gave me new opportunities.

Don't think the video is a fitting response to my statement though, think we might had another misunderstanding:D

I've been working on another brick built ship this past week. Here is my progress so far. This will be my first IRL xebec. I am quite pleased with how it's turning out so far. I'm thinking it will be about a class 5. And before anyone mentions it, yes, the masts are completely square and unfortunately they will be staying that way. I don't have near enough round bricks of any sort to make a mast this large, but I have a bunch of the 1x1x5 bricks. This helps me cover a lot of distance. Lastly, the rigging is in the very, very beginning stages. literally just looped it around loosely to get a photo.

48883112678_a4c5930c7b_b.jpgXebec wip 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

A nice looking ship, black goes well with blue. Personally square masts don't pose a problem to me, I've also masts built from plates on larger mocs, and they look just fine. It's hard to say from this angle but it seems that the hull could have more curves, but this depends on parts availability.

@LM71Blackbird Nice Xebec:)
I agree with Bodi. You might want to try adding a curve to the white stripe as well, with some more black at bow and stern.
The square masts are no problem at all, I just hope for their stability though.

16 hours ago, Bodi said:

A nice looking ship, black goes well with blue. Personally square masts don't pose a problem to me, I've also masts built from plates on larger mocs, and they look just fine. It's hard to say from this angle but it seems that the hull could have more curves, but this depends on parts availability.

Thanks! A lot of my bricks are black, white, or blue. Which is why most of my builds involve that color in one way or another. The single photo doesn't really do it justice in my opinion. A little more curve is in order, but I think it flows nicely atm.

8 hours ago, Wellesley said:

@LM71Blackbird Nice Xebec:)
I agree with Bodi. You might want to try adding a curve to the white stripe as well, with some more black at bow and stern.
The square masts are no problem at all, I just hope for their stability though.

Thanks!  That's a good idea! That should be a easy adjustment to give the ship more curve.

I have an idea to strengthen the masts... a small amount of scotch tape around each of the seams should give it a lot of rigidity.

@LM71Blackbird

tape?

Tape?

TAPE!?

How DARE you?

I'm just kidding. Do what you gotta do; I'm in your corner. I've had to do some pretty crazy things to stretch my brick supply in the past. Just keep building, figuring things out and solutions will present them selves. If in the mean time the best you have is a bit of string, a wooden dowel, a piece of tape or some other random element, then just go with it and don't l the purests get to you. 

That being said, I personally think that Xebec is a very difficult shape to do well in Lego. Without a significant investment in bricks and a more complex structure, the curvyness of the real thing is just lost in translation. Instead you could do a schooner or a chasse maree (if you really want to stick with the lug rig) at this level of investment and complexity and have it come out very well. 

8 hours ago, kurigan said:

I personally think that Xebec is a very difficult shape to do well in Lego.

I have to agree, as I'm currently struggling on a Xebec as well. Problem was I thought, I could just "speedbuild" a ship for the Corrish Navy without too much focus on the hull (thus not getting attached to it and being able to deconstruct it).
You can clearly see that I started with the hull shape, I'm used to have as a mental reference for most of my other builds. Thought it would be easy enough to turn it into a presentable Xebec after adding features like the extended poop deck, that triangular deck extension at the bow and of course the rig. But the center part isnt curved enough and the extensions both sit too high. It all seems very blocky. I mean all my decks are horizontal. At least I achieved the goal to being able to deconstruct "it":)
On the other hand I learned a few new techniques while trying and might use the base construction for another ship type. Maybe someone has an idea?
48889341463_070b806ce0.jpg48889875151_ca373e79fe.jpg48889341223_7c2e8cbfd5.jpg48890055402_d468c52808.jpg48889874816_65233d8735.jpg48889345388_0272215713.jpg

@LM71Blackbird Here are some other Xebecs that I will study a bit more before giving it another attempt. While I'm intrigued with the prefab one, the full hull construction could work best for me as it highly relies on plates. I just have to mutilate the deck then:D
Full hull construction
Prefab hull 1
Prefab hull 2
Waterline model

16 hours ago, kurigan said:

@LM71Blackbird

tape?

Tape?

TAPE!?

How DARE you?

I'm just kidding. Do what you gotta do; I'm in your corner. I've had to do some pretty crazy things to stretch my brick supply in the past. Just keep building, figuring things out and solutions will present them selves. If in the mean time the best you have is a bit of string, a wooden dowel, a piece of tape or some other random element, then just go with it and don't l the purests get to you. 

That being said, I personally think that Xebec is a very difficult shape to do well in Lego. Without a significant investment in bricks and a more complex structure, the curvyness of the real thing is just lost in translation. Instead you could do a schooner or a chasse maree (if you really want to stick with the lug rig) at this level of investment and complexity and have it come out very well. 

Lol!

That's the best idea I've got to keep everything from crashing down on me. The shaping is difficult, but i'll play around with a few ideas to see if I can get it to appear more curvy than it really is.

7 hours ago, Wellesley said:

@LM71Blackbird Here are some other Xebecs that I will study a bit more before giving it another attempt. While I'm intrigued with the prefab one, the full hull construction could work best for me as it highly relies on plates. I just have to mutilate the deck then:D
Full hull construction
Prefab hull 1
Prefab hull 2
Waterline model

Thanks for the reference ones! My original inspiration (and the pictures I was actually following) are from the Prefab hull 1 by Bonaparte.

Yeah, there's really no comparison to cb4's. Untill you're willing to do the kind of math and engineering that gentleman is known for, you're just not going to get the same results. Frank came close, but as warned by the aforementioned gentleman, ran into trouble getting all the elements to line up (then he left and we haven't heard from him in years).

When i was first embarking on my current style of hull construction, what seems like a hundred years ago now, I tried my hand at a xebec. Twice, actually, and in both cases gave up pretty early, disappointed with the results. There are just no straight lines on a xebec and everything i was doing, just failed me. At the current level of development in my technique, I imagine I could do a lot better, but I just don't have the time, space or bricks to venture upon yet another incomplete hull. If I find any time to Lego at all, it should go to rigging.

Spoiler

20130925_001110_zpsatpe7nk4.jpg

20130925_001118_zpscrjwqpom.jpg

IMG_1869_zpst80qmrza.jpg

IMG_1872_zpsxy66wlu2.jpg

What you both have is a good start. you have al the elements and in relative good proportion. I just don't think you (forget what anyone else thinks) are going to be satisfied with your results in the end.

I do like the use of 3010pb035e  on the bow though :laugh:

It's great to see your different interpretations of xebec here, I like all of them and among the four models, I have to say Kurigan's last hull, the one built with grey plates is the most promising one, too bad it hasn't been completed. 

An update of my frigate wip, it was left on shelf for nearly half a year, the photo doesn't show it but it's covered by a fine layer of dust, so the next step will be probably dust cleaning. I'm not happy with the rigging neither but considering the current progress, I think I'll leave it like that.:pir-grin:

15710323001_DISPLAY.jpg

Just wanted to put this out here. I don't play the game, but I chime in on ship builds from time to time since most of the MOCs wind up here anymore. If you looked in and wondered what I've done, here's a bit of it :wink:

Cheers!

On 11/2/2019 at 1:17 AM, kurigan said:

what I've done

I can say your builds are an inspiration ... Even if they never reach final status.  It makes one think outside of the box and of better ways to improve.  I still have the goal to build working rigging. Because of you ... Still working on a strong enough design myself lol

On 9/29/2019 at 11:18 PM, The Sarge said:

48814380553_65ab63e8b0_k.jpgWiP Galley-Frigate

Galley-gunboat I'm working on.  Haven't picked a rig or number of masts yet, but she'll mount 10 sweeps on a side, and turn-table mounted cannons fore and aft.  I also need to figure out how to tie the stern together nicely.

@The Sarge It's not frequent to see a galley frigate in the Bobs, can't wait to see her finished. The custom hull looks very good, you are off to a good start I think. 

@Bodi Thanks! She's coming along slowly, I need to order more hinge bricks for the starboard side, and bits for the hammock racks.  I think I've settled on a two master with the rear mast leaned back a bit, so the hull also will get a small revision to place the rigging in the right spots.

4 hours ago, The Sarge said:

hammock racks.

A few should suffise, these racks may take more space than one may expect, and we surely don't want to sacrifice firepower over comfort, we'll need our guns to beat down the pirates.

5 hours ago, Bodi said:

these racks may take more space than one may expect, and we surely don't want to sacrifice firepower over comfort

Weren't they also used as padding in engagement? Not just comfort, but potentially saving lives.

48 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

Weren't they also used as padding in engagement? Not just comfort, but potentially saving lives.

I see, didn't know that. We need those paddings!:tongue:

@Ross Fisher @Bodi Yes, the hammocks, rolled up and placed in the racks served as a light protective barrier against musket fire, spalling and splinters.  The racks are mostly along the sides of the ship - in this case the guns will be fore and aft on turntables but in a ship with broadside guns the racks are built over the gunports.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:48 AM, Wellesley said:

You made some great progress on your ships!

Thank you!

I've been absent for awhile. Working a ton of overtime and time critical projects on the Ranch.
But! I'm back for a bit.
I've had some time to sort more of my bulk bricks and clear room which caused me to develop a building itch.
So last night I split hulls and laid up the sister ship to my first MOC. Got her up to and started the gundeck level last night.
This go around I have enough Dark red for the stripe so we are trying that out.
I took a LOT of pictures of the build trying to make it as easy as possible for anyone else who wants to recreate the hull.
Pictures will get uploaded tonight as they are on my phone and I left that at home. :hmpf:

Oh and I'm 2/3rds of the way to being able to lay up a 3rd hull of the same scheme. Lucked into another pair of mid sections.
But I'm itching to start one of the wide hulls I have. 

9 hours ago, KotZ said:

That's coming along nicely, Masked Mini.

Thank you!
It's a lot faster once you've done it the first time!

That said, I have another 2-3 hours of building and I'll be stuck at the same spot with the DR hull.
Mast placement and decking... There is no way in brick I have enough brown, round, 2x2s to make enough masts for two. Maybe one.
I'll try to get the masts started enough to be able to figure out my decking.

Tonight will be my last night for a little bit when I have time to build Lego.
Burning all the daylight hours taking down barb wire and prepping to put in some serious horse fencing.

I'm thinking about custom sails. Might try for Dark red sails but I want these to go to my Soldier factions and that might be too Queen Anne's Revenge.
Possibly off white and see if my Wife can't block print the crossed cannon insignia for me if I 3D print the blocks by paint layer with some sort of embroidery hoop holding/locating jig.
Long term I want to build a pad printer so I can have an endless supply of classic 'coats and make some green coats. But CNC gets built first.

I did fix some mistakes on the front bulk head that I'll need to roll into the blue hull before that gets any further work.
Somehow I screwed up my layer count and I'm forcing a connection across a plate difference in height.
No wonder it won't stay connected well!!

I've been collecting certain technic pins and things to make smaller cannons based on builds I've seen here.
The Lego cannons I'll save for the wide hull frigates I think.

@Masked Mini Have fun building the ships! Hope, you get some more round 2 x 2 bricks for a decent price.

People have asked about a rigging tutorial.
Here are some first pictures of how I do the ratlines. Other things will follow.

49222336577_29530e8788.jpg49222336417_91774e6516.jpg49222110456_34011a4c7c.jpg49222110311_94e5c6d938.jpg

I pull the thread only through all the shrouds in the middle (in this case just one). It makes it easier to make the knots on both the outer shrouds. Also I make all the knots on one side first and use a drop of fabric glue to secure them. After drying I fix the length of each ratline and make knots on the other side.

If you are really ambitious you could make a knot each shroud instead.