Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

@LM71Blackbird Well apparently the model kit you're using for inspiration is rather slab sided. It 's also rather atypical. Seems it's likely a work of fantasy, made of elements of different types cobbled together to make something that "looks cool". You do you, but it may not make the best reference material; particularly considering your's is half the size. 

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19395-hms-resolution-by-thunder-finished-corel-150-scale-17th-century-cutter/?tab=comments#comment-592016

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/14768-getting-some-info-on-this-hms-resolution-kit/?tab=comments#comment-459568

Dave

@LM71Blackbird As i said, you, do you. If you want better reference, try the cutter HMS Fly, 1763. You may want to try a different hull technique as well. Might I suggest the Bumblebee method? I think you're going to struggle to fit all the elements of something like Resolution on such a small scale. Sometimes simpler is better. Do basic well and wow everyone. (You asked for advice, this is my honest advice. You don't have to take it, I really don't care.)

Cheers!

Dave

2 hours ago, kurigan said:

@LM71Blackbird As i said, you, do you. If you want better reference, try the cutter HMS Fly, 1763. You may want to try a different hull technique as well. Might I suggest the Bumblebee method? I think you're going to struggle to fit all the elements of something like Resolution on such a small scale. Sometimes simpler is better. Do basic well and wow everyone. (You asked for advice, this is my honest advice. You don't have to take it, I really don't care.)

Cheers!

Dave

No, I appreciate it! I enjoy shipbuilding but I still have a lot of techniques to learn, so any help I can get is really enlightening. The HMS Fly is definitely a better reference point as well. I do have to ask though... What in the world is the Bumblebee method??

Just found pictures of one of my vessels I never bothered posting, not sure if I should create a thread for it since the pictures aren't that great at all. Sadly it got destroyed during transport back from the convention and since the rigging was messed up beyond repair I decided not to fix it and instead reuse the hull another time. Maybe there are some inspirations for others here. I'll check another time but I don't think I took any more pictures of it.

Spoiler

32188775178_fa97cee9c6_c.jpg

46009996592_2278ab9f1d_c.jpg

32188779188_da5c89964c_c.jpg

46009997472_517be334c4_c.jpg

29878671688_e340443953_c.jpg

@Legostone, gonna check if I got some other pictures of the vessel :)

Hooray, upcomming weekend I got rigging-weekend number 5 for my vessel. Should be the last :pir_laugh2:

22 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Hooray, upcomming weekend I got rigging-weekend number 5 for my vessel. Should be the last 

Looking forward to seeing the outcome! I personally quite enjoy the rigging part (although it can be finicky), but sail-making I always put off. Have 3 vessels or so basically finished only waiting for sails... :pir-tongue:

On 8/12/2019 at 5:59 AM, Masked Mini said:

Are those masts stiffened with axles or just held in place through the rigging tension?

For the Ymir I used axles of up to 32 studs length, which I just discovered. This way the masts didn't break even without rigging. For taller ships, when I have to use several axles (on my SoTL actually because I didn't know such long axles exist) I often glue the segments where the axles meet. You made some great progress on your ships!

On 8/25/2019 at 7:10 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Would flexible tube (like when making trees) be a viable option in your opinion?

That should work. I have bad experience with only using rigging. Because of their angle the rig always have some tension towards the side, breaking the mast really fast. The flex tube would permit that and once you have a more complete rig, with ropes to several points, the mast should be held in place. If you use flex tube on 1x1 masts, you also can add some curvature.

The closer I get to the end, the more I am concerned about the mast colouring.

48786702823_03c219b1b8_n.jpg
Right now I don't have black round 2x2 bricks, that is why the masts are held completely in yellow. Should I buy some black bricks to change it more towards this?:

post-68-0-90537700-1363241377.jpgIMG_2778.JPG

Here you have a full view for better impression. I should start using crosstrees on the topmasts for the next projects.
48787065046_64c138dc0c_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wellesley said:

The closer I get to the end, the more I am concerned about the mast colouring.

I think the masts look find, no need to change anything in my opinion.

That rigging... wow. Amazing work, it must have taken ages. Great results though, I am very much looking forard to the final pictures! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Wellesley said:

Right now I don't have black round 2x2 bricks, that is why the masts are held completely in yellow. Should I buy some black bricks to change it more towards this?

While my opinion is most definitely inferior to yours, I personally agree with Darnok and think they look great the way they are. While they look overpowering right now, I believe when you add sails they'll be a perfect vibrant edition to add plenty of flair to the build while maintaining realism. None the less, this is one absolutely stunning ship and I'm very excited to see what she looks like with sails!

Also, I have a question for all of you experts out there. I'm in the process of designing a frigate and am currently working on the upper masts. Only thing is that I'm rather uncertain whether or not to do the upper masts using part 6538c, 3941, or 62462. I've seen them done with all three pieces and I don't really know which one is the most realistic / ideal option.

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

Thanks @all, I will consider it (leaving it as it is). So far my self-criticism worked out in my favour. Otherwise I wouldn't have had such development. Still I sometimes look at the frigate from the side and wonder, if the foremast is placed a bit too much astern, the beakhead maybe extends about one stud or so too much, making the headrails a bit pointy and so on. On the other hand there are certain design flaws or changes I don't mind at all.

11 hours ago, Maxim I said:

I use 3mm round steel to stiffen the masts :)

Yes sure, that works as well. The good thing is, that you are not limited with the height. I tried to use some for the Ymir but encountered another problem. I usually build my tops with the studs pointing towards the bow. Thus I need the cross-shape of the axle to hold their orientation. If you build them out of plates, connected directly to the studs of the mast, it won't be a problem.

10 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

I'm in the process of designing a frigate and am currently working on the upper masts.

Are there any pictures so we can get some idea about the scale? I would use (one of) the 1x1 solution(s). To be honest, I'm also a big fan of the old LEGO mast pieces. Maybe I will use them on a smaller ship once, will have to see, what I still got, gifted most of the prefab ship elements to a nephew. On my old frigate I had a solution to use two of the middle parts above one another:

34307548434_b32ae1dc5d_n.jpg
Don't know, if you can see it, but I made the tops bigger and the second middle part is simply held by the shrouds.

@topic
A while ago I built this little felucca:
48789900188_10bd834823_n.jpg 48789900643_4df033fea2_n.jpg
I wanted to wait with posting it as long as I only had one dark grey ladder. But I can't find another one, maybe it is the only one I got. So here you go. I had a lot of different ideas and tries with the Fabuland Rowboat and so far this is the best I could come up with.

Edited by Wellesley

13 hours ago, Wellesley said:

Are there any pictures so we can get some idea about the scale? I would use (one of) the 1x1 solution(s).

I'm actually designing the frigate via stud.io due to my lack of spare parts so I'm not really sure whether or not pics would help due to the lack of depth and lack of real items to compare the size in person. I can say though that it does have six mid hulls. Is this amount normal? If you'd like, I can DM you pictures of what it looks like on stud.io currently and you can tell me your opinion on what you think would work better mast-wise with the scale. Really appreciate the assistance, and as always your ships are really a treasure to me so I look forward to seeing your next beauty.

@The Neighborhood Merchant 6 mid hulls are perfectly fine. Don't think, I would go with more. I wanted to use 7 on my frigate, but it became too long and narrow. I had to brick-build some broader sections. I would appreciate, if you'd send me some photos and thanks for the kind words.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:52 AM, Wellesley said:

I would appreciate, if you'd send me some photos and thanks for the kind words.

I'll actually just post them here so that way if someone else would like to chip in and give some ideas they can. Here you go:

48793615927_334297395c_c.jpgFRIGATE Red Coat by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48793111168_8b2bc7a7fa_c.jpgFRIGATE Red Coat_2 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

48793474646_e598a0298b_c.jpgFRIGATE Red Coat_3 by The Neighborhood Merchant, on Flickr

Here's what it looks right now. I'm currently working on the masts. I know the red hull isn't entirely time accurate (at least to my knowledge) but I figured it captured the redcoats look that Lego established. This will be my first ship build using custom rigging so see you in fifty years. Honestly though, it looks like a mess so any help is appreciated. I tried to add train gates to the side of the ship to give a wood planking effect but not really certain whether or not that looks good. I'm not really certain if the mast placements are correct, and I am also rather uncertain if the rudder looks fine. Also, I have no clue what to do for the figure head besides using the silver chrome chestplate, so if you have any ideas, feel free to share! Thanks again for your help.

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

Beautiful looking ship so far @The Neighborhood Merchant!

My newest WIP ship, a 22 gun frigate. Working name is the HMS Black Panther. I'm pretty happy with the tumble home and overall curve she has so far. The masts seem pretty good as well, or at the very least within a few studs of proper. Still have all the deck details, crew, and sails to add. Any bits of advice before I get to far into the detail process?

48802101087_1c599cc088_b.jpgFrigate 3.2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

@LM71Blackbird I like the colors ... Would like to see the panther better intigrated to the beakhead though.

@The Neighborhood Merchant

i like the progress so far ... This will be interesting.

@Wellesley

I agree 5 or 6 mids is a good number ... 7 is pushing it. But I have seen it done before. They widened the hull before narrowing to a double gundeck and it looked well done.

@The Neighborhood Merchant That is a truly wonderful start. The colour scheme will be no problem as we are in a fantasy universe and every owner can paint its ship like he wants.
The train gates were one of the first details I spotted and I like them.

The beakhead could be just a little bit thinner in my opinion. Also I wouldn't stretch the gap between the gunports because of the ladder. You would have to be very sure about it, if wanting to change it though, because you would have to shorten the entire hull for two studs or lenghten it for four and adding another gunport. I don't know about the internal structure but that could mean some time-consuming work.

The mast placements seem a bit odd to me. But I think placing the main mast just one or two studs more towards the bow would do the trick. Would like to have some comparable pictures of that. You also could change the angle of the bowsprit, lowering it.

But overall, a very solid frigate, Glad, you're joining the Redcoats:)

@LM71Blackbird Also a very neat "frigate" (a few guns more and we could call her that in real life, but I think we can keep the term for the BoBs).

I'm a bit confused about the first gunports. Could we have some pictures from the front? Maybe setting back all gunports by two studs could work. Thus the last one would also be closer to the cabin.
The mast positions look fine but for the fore- and mainmast some extra height wouldn't hurt.
@Roadmonkeytj is right, the black panther as a figurehead can work, but not this way. Unfortunately I can't give you a good idea how to integrate it more right now.

@The Neighborhood Merchant and @LM71Blackbird For both of you I just followed my guts and I tried to give advice that is more or less easily integrable, while not destroying your own building style.

3 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

They widened the hull before narrowing to a double gundeck and it looked well done.

Oh yes, I have seen some. I would never had expected it to work, especially with two decks, but some managed to pull it off.

48812968766_8b5841feb6_z.jpg
The standing rigging is nearly finished. Im just not happy with the headspars. Will extend the bowsprit and therefore shorten the jibboom. Overall length is good in my opinion. The positions of the stays of course will change too. @TomSkippy and @Professor Thaum: From here on I will show pictures of how I do the ratlines. Could take a while, because I need some bricks first before I continue with rigging. Please tell me, if there are any other parts you want photos of.

48812616253_96f7ff9d34_n.jpg
Instead of using a single dolphin striker, I might go with this splayed version, seen on the USS Constitution. I don't know, if it has the exact same function or even is called the same. Couldn't really find a lot of information about it so far.
The reason, why initially I had to splay it, no longer matters, but I wanted to try it anyways.

Another thing that bothers me is the mounting of the spritsail yard on the USS Constitution. Being a sail, that is only used on a quiet sea and maybe around 2 or 3 Bft (that is only my speculation!), it could be working when easing the rig below.
uss-constitution-museum-ship-bow-masts-rigging-frigate-us-navy-charlestown-CRE19B.jpg

Many of the models and paintings I've seen rigged it like seen below, which makes more sense to me.
34343475633_5811bd553f_n.jpgGeoff-Hunt-Flying-Kites-%E2%80%93-H.M.S.-Surprise-under-Royals-and-Stunsails-2.jpg

I will rig it again like this, still the question remains.

@Legostone Any new preview shots of this project?:
FFj6QeF.jpg

@TomSkippy What is the part used for the muzzles of the cannons?:
48344319516_d539c539d1_z.jpg

48814380553_65ab63e8b0_k.jpgWiP Galley-Frigate

Galley-gunboat I'm working on.  Haven't picked a rig or number of masts yet, but she'll mount 10 sweeps on a side, and turn-table mounted cannons fore and aft.  I also need to figure out how to tie the stern together nicely.

Edited by The Sarge