Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

@Legostone I don't think it is too thin. It would just have to widen instantly after the first few layers.
32492105767_caec748c44_n.jpg
This is how I'm maybe going to do it. Really narrow just beneath the water line. Same goes for the bow, for which I use the quarter saucer base (30201). With both these curvations given, I have to figure out how to smoothly merge into the nearly vertical shape midships.

@Bodi That shape looks fabulous. Can't wait to see more. Sometimes the interior has to give way to more important priorities.

Here is the current design of the upcoming 50 gun ship. It surely will take some time (money actually:D)
The pictures only show the shape, the structure will include more technic bricks, improving the stability a lot.

32593234557_d796d67c7a_n.jpg 47482954572_2b56bc7561_n.jpg 40569576303_20d0b1769e_n.jpg 47482952372_ccbdcc878e_n.jpg 40569575903_75fe98b895_n.jpg
I hope, the transition appears to be a bit smoother, once it is all black and stretched along the entire length of the hull. I'm just semi-open to new solutions, because I'm quite stubborn about the idea of building it in a way that is close to my other ships. In this case meaning all studs head up, not too many brackets. But still I wish to hear your ideas and thoughts.

Greetings.

Edited by Wellesley

I am still working on the rigging, sails, and other details of this gaff cutter, but would like to be sure of her class rating. Her deck is approximately 30 studs in length, and 12 studs at her widest.

46848632704_fdc240b62a.jpg
(full image)

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I am still working on the rigging, sails, and other details of this gaff cutter, but would like to be sure of her class rating. Her deck is approximately 30 studs in length, and 12 studs at her widest.

46848632704_fdc240b62a.jpg
(full image)

IMO she could be a large Class 2 or a small Class 3.

A class 2 is narrow hulls w no midsections or 1 very light (25x12 or a little longer) and a class 3 is narrow hulls  w 1-2 mid sections... iirc 33x12 (not including any deck overhang)... your cutter has some mass to her (assuming it’s not like 2-3 studs from ground to deck); it’s  probably your choice.

Of course I’m a little biased, I licensed the Black Rat as a Class 3 and she’s 32x10 which displaces less than your cutter.

Edited by TomSkippy

On 4/9/2019 at 6:16 PM, gedren_y said:

sure of her class rating.

By these numbers, she sound very similar to my class 2 "rover" cutter. And my immediate reaction is class two too. She seems lightly and narrowly built and low to the water. A fast little craft.

However, it is a bit hard to say without a minifig or two to judge scale and a little more light on the photo. Would also like to see a photo from the side.

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

By these numbers, she sound very similar to my class 2 "rover" cutter. And my immediate reaction is class two too. She seems lightly and narrowly built and low to the water. A fast little craft.

However, it is a bit hard to say without a minifig or two to judge scale and a little more light on the photo. Would also like to see a photo from the side.

I think you're right. Her hull is quite shallow, as it is this assembly I got from a City set.

9 hours ago, gedren_y said:

I think you're right. Her hull is quite shallow, as it is this assembly I got from a City set.

I used the same type hull for the silver scythe. I think I licensed it as a class 2. It was a nice challenge to try and make that hull work as a sailboat. Looking forward to see your take on it :)

Edited by Sir Stig

Inspired by @Legostone's technique to embellish the narrow prefab hull, I wanted to give it a try myself. I always liked the white hull parts, but didn't know how to cover the black part properly.

43033539374_3dc14f008d_n.jpg
Thanks for sharing instructions.

I copied the base nearly without changing anything.
From then on I just followed my guts, looking at some pictures of brigs from time to time.
I want to rig the vessel as a hermaphrodite brig/brigantine. She can now hold up to 18 guns, but due to the scale I probably won't arm her. Or I will have to come up with a new gun design.

Still have to change some colours. Unfortunately I have to buy tons of new bricks again. Same goes for the names, I don't have any R-letter tiles, therefore my HMS Argonaut currently carries the name HMS Sjælland and on the photos of the brigantine you see the name Styx while actually I want to name her HMS Ymir.

40683730083_e0258d74bb_n.jpg 32707731177_126d12d7ed_n.jpg 40683731463_4183c7b6e6_n.jpg 32707733317_c64b89beb4_n.jpg 47597468452_a56313abd5_n.jpg 40683736313_c858fc4f03_n.jpg 40683735213_193180f8b3_n.jpg

40683733133_3d84ddaac9_n.jpg
I was forced to come up with a new capstan design. It was worth it, but I'm not happy with it being all black. Will have to change at least the cone to white.

32707731877_e551d4850d_n.jpg
Again, the headrails are quite enormous. And I'm not that sure about keeping the shape this way. Especially the turn of the lower rail. It mimics the headrails on my frigate, where it fits the design. What do you think, should I keep it or change it into two parallel rails?

Greetings and happy Easter, Wellesley!

@Wellesley I always love the narrow hull pieces. Did you remove the colored toppers for the bow/stern?

For the headrails... Honestly, I’m not sure. They look fine. I wonder though about color... the yellow really draws your eyes which can make the size/shape much more noticeable.

46929775814_302bb450c4_n.jpg 46738005685_771e8ac8cb_n.jpg 47600859902_fa0522c83e_n.jpg
This is the updated, better version of the headrails.

47652213581_956a5bca13_n.jpg
Here you can see two catheads of different length. Which one looks better?

Edited by Wellesley

The long one I would say, although a couple more photos taken from the sides would be helpful, in order to decide 

@Wellesley Classically cat heads weren't very long as they only had to be long enough to keep the anchor from fouling on the hull. The longer the timber, the greater the chance it could break under strain. The shorter of these two is likely sufficient.

So i got a boat for the challenge .. I feel its missing something though ... Also any ideas on class?

small skiff.lxf

@Roadmonkeytj maybe a crew? Might make it look a little busier. I know I'm guilty of keeping my ship empty, so I don't blame you. 

I'd say it's a class 3, although it's obviously a little stylised. 

I think it looks quite cartoonish, in a nice way. Crew would be nice (and make it easier to establish the scale.)

Not bigger than a class 2, it would seem to me, though.

@Bregir @Ross Fisher

Its built on the large rowboat base.  Realistically i could only get 4 or 5 minifigs in there lol 

I as well was thinking no bigger than c2 but wasnt sure if it was a c1 ... The idea when I built it was a villans boat similar to rocky and bowinkle lol that would "take out the competition" so the "prechosen boat would win" as bets had been made on the race.  However i dont see me finishing the build on time.  Been working too many hours lately

Class one or two. If we are strict on rules, i'd say class one: bit the sails make it seem bigger even thought the ship is relatively small. Aesthetics looking good though, I would just make the mast and hull longer.

She looks great! Different aesthetic than usual, Would look at home on a TLC Pirate movie.

I always understood class size to have a little leeway, a little overlap between class sizes within reason... Basically don’t make an ugly, low-piece count vessel and try to class her high to save on build time/pieces/cost etc...

I’d say class 1 or 2, your call... (but if you glance higher in the thread you can see I may be a little too generous with class size :grin:)

5 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Class one or two. If we are strict on rules, i'd say class one: bit the sails make it seem bigger even thought the ship is relatively small. Aesthetics looking good though, I would just make the mast and hull longer.

Longer would be a bit of an issue ... The back of the rowboat is where the cabin door is lol.  The idea was a "rowboat" that looks as if it were a large pirate ship so im glad that she "looks" bigger.  Perhaps I'll crew her with little people to keep the mind game up!

3 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

She looks great! Different aesthetic than usual, Would look at home on a TLC Pirate movie.

movies wow... thanks I will take that compliment! 

I was looking for a nice broad hull for a felucca and decided to copy the design of @kurigan's Nuisance.
But it was too huge compared to my other vessels and I didn't want to start with a new scale.

So I went for a lateen-rigged two mast ship.
It is not a replica of an existing rig, it is a compromise of different inspirations. The masts and foresails are loosely based on this picture:
Pojama-lateen_sails.jpg
In this case, the sails are split into two, making tacking easier.

This picture was the main guidance for rigging the sails:
takellatein.jpg

And this is where my problem arised. I put the brail(7) and buntlines(8) only on one side of the sail, therefore they only work on one tack.
I couldn't find pictures of lateen sail having them at both sides, it was hard, finding some with buntlines at all.
Now my question is, if they usually had buntlines at each side, or if they just rehoisted the entire rig with every tack (which would be a possible solution with steady wind and a long course).

Or if I better should rig one of the yards in the opposite direction, like seen here:
Antonio+Barcel%25C3%25B3%2527s+Xebec+Fac

Another possibility of tacking would be dipping the nose of the yard to then swing it around the mast. Again I would need to have a brail and the buntlines on the other side, but also the block of the tackle(3) would have to be behind the mast. Not like currently seen on this picture:
40811890083_67fce3237d_n.jpg

A stylistic decision I have to make is, if I should change the colour of the wheels from brown to black, given that black already is the colour of the yards and the belaying pin rails.
47772700871_c8223a570a_n.jpg 40811857523_a6d3f1fa2a_n.jpg

Any ideas or deeper knowledge about lateen rigs really is appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

I do love a good maritime painting.

Yeah, even though the sail on the main mast of the ship on the left seems to be a bit odd, given the direction of the wind. But without any clue about lateen sails, I won't judge that:D