Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

8 hours ago, Legostone said:

@Bregir I liked the old stern on the ship of the line a bit more tbh, the lower level windows look odd in the hull. I've already mentioned this vessel a fair number of times, but following the idea of a single decked cabin in a SOTL like La Fama seems pretty good:  

I second that. You already have the perfect design for that. Just as said, removing the windows from the first battery deck and instead lowering the astern gun ports (at least one brick I'd say from the guts).

I hereby want to mention, that I really consider to join the BoBS. With the HMS Argonaut as a future vessel. In the BoBS called Sjælland.
Also I want to present a little currently unarmed cutter. I even used the horse head, I mentioned the page before:
45043956075_2dd679cb0b_n.jpg 45043965765_1758bc6804_n.jpg 45906801592_112ddfbc47_n.jpg 45231825924_793b7a8c8a_n.jpg

The rudder still looks a little bit heavy.

Greetings and brick on,
Wellesley!

Edited by Wellesley

@Wellesley that is a great little tub! I particularly like the "headlight brick" hatches. A neat little detail that I'm impressed you included. I'll look forward to seeing you on the Brick Seas.

11 hours ago, Wellesley said:

that I really consider to join the BoBS. With the HMS Argonaut as a future vessel. In the BoBS called Sjælland.

Excellent! With the prefix HMS I imagine you'll join the Corries.:pir-angry::pir_laugh2:

I like the cutter, especially the horse head, hilarious.

And I have also a pic showing how I've built my custom hull.

15427018891_DISPLAY.jpg

21 hours ago, Bregir said:

Aaaand a sheet of sailcloth

Interesting, I'm impatient to see how it would look like on your ship.:sweet:

21 hours ago, Bregir said:

Being a twodecker, if she has 5 mid sections, I would say she is comparable to the Margot and can be a class 7. If she has 4, she would be a class 6.

6 mid sections, to be honest, but without the stern part, and I've added three rows of brick at the stern, so it's comparable to 2 bow/stern pirces and 5 mid sections.

20 hours ago, Legostone said:

Nice Fluyt :D I want to build one of those too at some point, and class 7 seems spot on for me ;)

Thank you LS for the answer.:thumbup:

@Mesabi

Looking quite good already, I like the shaping and overall structure. I guess it should be longer for this width, but nothing wrong with a chubby boat!

As set in another place, I think it would really benefit from a strong contrast colour. Right now it just feels too white to me.

Some points I would focus on:

1. this concept is very blocky. I would focus on round shapes a LOT more.

2. The white and blue would be okay for a ship, but since we are copying ships from the time period of 1600-1800: your focus should be on brown, tan, black, grey and again brown. White and light blue however can be very nice colors as secondary colors. Now the colors are odd.

3. The masts should not be elevated by white bricks. Looks strange.

4. The bow looks like it is having the right shape, much you need more details.

5. The part you used for the cabin quarter, the sideways part I mean, is too long: making it look blocky.

Alright, I hope this helps. 

I agree with Fraunces, more brown would look better. I don't know what type of ship you are intending to build, it looks like a brig to me, though it gives a rather chubby appearance now, have you consider to build it a bit longer?

Linked below if my official request to re-do the stats of the class 6 Hotspur

On 11/20/2018 at 4:40 AM, Bodi said:

15427018891_DISPLAY.jpg

So I want to thank you for sharing...  This picture inspired a "small" SotL 

I've never built a waterline model before so that was new to me.   I used about three different vessels to come up with the design.   Two British one French from early 1700 to late 1700 .  I gotta say this really pushed me to try new techniques and some I will use on other ships.   She is 7852 bricks (with only partially interior.   

Triple.lxf

@bregir (or anyone on the licensing committee) 

What class would this fall under? 

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

What class would this fall under? 

If you look there, it would be a 9 (or 8 if you are very strict on the length rules) (IMHO) as it outclasses the Triton by far.

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

A housing project :grin:

More a working project by the gun count. :)

Mesabi, I think the shaping around the cabin is quite good, but as others have said, using the large prefabs at this size makes her very wide. I would suggest a custom hull, or finding some of the old narrow prefabs :) As for the colours, I think they are OK (after all, I am building a sotl in those exact colours... :P)

I also agree hat putting the masts up high like that makes her look odd. I would instead put hem on the lower deck, and then add topmasts. What sort of rigging do you have in mind?

Kwatchi, next time, post it in the naval licensing court. But we will look at it!

TJ, that is one very impressive build! Very nice quarter galleries and looks very powerful all around. I agree with Bart that it should be a class 9, particularly with all those decks.

I can't help but wonder, though, if she would look much nicer, more harmonic, and realistic (and avoid the faith of the Swedish "Vasa"... :P) if you took out the middle deck. She is currently very tall, and looks like she would handle like a contrary bucket, if not outright tilt right over! :D (For the game, that is all up to you, but for realism it looks a bit odd) And I was about to ask for more pictures when I checked flickr :P

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

if you took out the middle deck. She is currently very tall, and looks like she would handle like a contrary bucket, if not outright tilt right over! :D 

The victory was a heavy influence in this even though she's pushing for the extent of our game system

victory.jpg I thought she was tall as well but when you see her next to other ships (I grabbed Rahabs Gambit  and put them next to each other) 

3 hours ago, Bart said:

More a working project by the gun count. :)

92 gun ports aboard lol 44 broadside lol 

It was neat building her.   There's things I would change and do differently next time.   By the time I finished the yard arms LDD was crashing lol

5 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

A housing project :grin:

Well If hundreds of men aboard qualifies lol...  Maybe we just drydock her and call it an apartment complex lol. 

37 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Well If hundreds of men aboard qualifies lol...  Maybe we just drydock her and call it an apartment complex lol. 

Royal residence? :pir-grin:

Veeerynice build! Instead of making the hull "flatter" be removing a deck, I would instead make it longer. No idea if that is possible by some "copy&paste" function for a part of the hull, or if it would mean to redo a significant section of the build. Right now the proportions feel wrong to me though.

Just now, Drunknok said:

Royal residence? :pir-grin:

Veeerynice build! Instead of making the hull "flatter" be removing a deck, I would instead make it longer. No idea if that is possible by some "copy&paste" function for a part of the hull, or if it would mean to redo a significant section of the build. Right now the proportions feel wrong to me though.

Thanks...  If anything I think I would make her longer.  By spreading out gun ports 1 stud each I think would solve this.  However LDD is not liking the file anymore...  Perhaps it's all the flex tubes and hinges (200) so I won't be working with this one anytime soon unless I upgrade laptops lol.   I was barely able to finish the bowsprit and masts it was starting to not like simple rotations of bricks. 

I wish I was able to get one more render looking down the hull as she does have tumblehome 

@Roadmonkeytj:

that looks Nice :)

my point of focus would be the space between the gunports. 2 is not looking realistic I fear. For ships that size it should be at least 4 studs between the gunports.

16 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

This picture inspired a "small" SotL 

Small indeed:laugh:, I'm not too sure about the classification but you could take the Royal Philip as reference, she's rated as a class 10, with a waterline length of 120 studs, if yours is shorter, than it'd be a class 9 I think.

A quick calculation gives me a hull length of 80-90 studs, so that would be shorter.

So I would say a Class 9 as well

Thanks all for the comments...  I keep crashing LDD with this file so I'm afraid it is as it is.   But there are several improvements I want to make so perhaps the next 5 days off in a row I get... 

Here's another wip, it will be a class 7 frigate when completed.:pir-classic:

dsc00832.jpg

dsc00833.jpg

As you can see, the supporting structure is taking a lot of space, so no interior this time, except the stern cabine, I could build there a cozy room for the captain, privilege of the grade.:pir-grin:

7 hours ago, Bodi said:

Here's another wip, it will be a class 7 frigate when completed.:pir-classic:

dsc00832.jpg

dsc00833.jpg

As you can see, the supporting structure is taking a lot of space, so no interior this time, except the stern cabine, I could build there a cozy room for the captain, privilege of the grade.:pir-grin:

Since your using "ball joints" could you simply move them higher on the tumblehome then rotate them as if they are timbers to support the upper deck? 

And you gotta stop posting all these good ways to get great angles I now have two styles to work on.  (seriously don't stop I love the inspiration and seeing your great work) 

7 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Since your using "ball joints" could you simply move them higher on the tumblehome then rotate them as if they are timbers to support the upper deck? 

Move them higher...I see you are trying to sabotage my building schedule! :pir_laugh2: Good points though.

I've started a new vessel, not quite happy with the shape, I think the stern is a little to thin. I have a couple ideas to fix this, gonna try that tomorrow.

31637183067_2ceeb9a664_b.jpg

Stern test, happy with some parts and not quite happy with others. Again, it seems a little to thin for a vessel this size...

44760264270_5da3854c7b_b.jpg

8 hours ago, Legostone said:

it seems a little to thin for a vessel this size...

It's hard to widen the hull now, unless you decide to demolish the whole thing and build a wider hull, but the curve looks to me, maybe adding a stern gallery could give a wider stern? Btw I really like these golden decorations.