Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

On 6/30/2018 at 8:19 PM, Elostirion said:

What is wrong?

I have always been taught never to start with the negative, so I will start by saying that it is looking really cool and ambitious. Sorry for not offering any feedback earlier.

A mast will typically be divided into several spars.

For smaller vessels, xebecs, and galleys, they typically have polemasts, meaning masts in one piece. Schooners and many other mid-sized vessels have schooner masts divided into two parts, like what should be clear in the picture below.

42461310351_1a9b59545b_c.jpg

For brigs and full-riggers, there will be yet another division of the mast. Lower mast, topmast, and topgallantmast. The division will happen much like in the picture above with an overlap and some form of platform. Where the lower mast and the topmast overlap, you have the "tops", where there will typically be a fighting platform from where a swivel can be mounted, or marines can fires their muskets down on the deck of the enemy. Particularly in early vessels (galleons, carracks, etc.), these platforms could be very large, while they were somewhat smaller on more modern frigates and ships of the line, although still used as a fighting platform.

Where the topmast and topgallantmast overlap, you have the "crosstrees", which are basicly just some planks crossing (basicly a #). Here, a sailor might sit with the glass as a look-out, but it will not generally be used for anything else apart from when going up and down the rig.

I think I would also revisit the shrouds. Both topmast and topgallant shrouds would be spread by the tops and the crosstress respectively, to give them side ways stability

I have tried to do a drawing of the whole thing below, but I think it might be hard to read - you can always look up some pictures or schematics online. (and in reality, topgallant shrouds were probably most often less pronounced than in my drawing - often just a single stay(rope) on each side.)

EDIT: I should add that on the sideways picture, we are seeing the larboard side (i.e. the vessel is sailing towards the left). So the shrouds pull backwards, as well as sideways.

43216766761_7f535b8591_c.jpgshrouds and masts by Christian West, on Flickr

What is good?

I think the shape of your topgallant and topsail is good. (They should be carried on the topgallant and topmast, respectively). The course (lowest/main sail) is a bit to wide and rectangular, but otherwise good job.

And of course, the hull look fabulous.

What should I do differently?

Not much - keep experimenting and if you can create a hull like that, with a bit of work on rigging, you can create some fabulous vessels!

Well done so far!

Edited by Bregir
clarification

So I've been messing around with some of my physical bricks recently... My collection is... well, limited in terms of ship building pieces... But I had some fun trying some stuff out.

The first two have been taken apart already, and I may never post them again, but I just felt like sharing. The lighting in my room isn't the greatest, and I'm certainly not a photographer.

41765646501_e04932db3a_b.jpgCutter gunboat 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

41047494314_7aa1541abd_b.jpgBrig 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

This one I just made yesterday, and I actually really like it. I may build a digital version of it as well. This one I will most likely include in some future builds.

42500842344_38ff10f4b8_b.jpg20180705_004034 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

Nothing overly special, but if you want to see more angles and such, I've got more over on my flickr page.

Edited by LM71Blackbird

The third one is quit nice!

On the second one it looks like your jib is upside down.

And spankerbooms should just clear minifigs heads, might even knock their hat's of if they don't duck. 

On 7/5/2018 at 4:53 PM, Bregir said:

Sorry for not offering any feedback earlier.

Thanks a lot - your elaborate feedback helps a lot. I will try to improve my MOC in this regard. :-) 

@LM71Blackbird

On 7/5/2018 at 2:29 PM, Bart said:

The third one is quit nice!

On the second one it looks like your jib is upside down.

And spankerbooms should just clear minifigs heads, might even knock their hat's of if they don't duck. 

I agree with Bart on these...  The first I don't care for the sail under the bowsprit....  I feel like its too low and not fitting for the size of the ship.  I do like the overall shape of the boat but the spanker I feel should start lower and go to its current height. 

The second the spanker again looks odd ... Bring it lower and shape it differently.  I feel like the stay sail could be bigger or simply add a second a bit lower. 

The third is quite lovely shape and size and good use of the printed sail. 

All in all not bad for limited brick

@LM71Blackbird, great ships, and I'd love to see more work with real bricks. You're already an expert with LDD, so seeing you handle real bricks makes me hope you'll be able to reproduce those with the real thing. 

3 hours ago, Mesabi said:

@LM71Blackbird, great ships, and I'd love to see more work with real bricks. You're already an expert with LDD, so seeing you handle real bricks makes me hope you'll be able to reproduce those with the real thing. 

Thanks! I am much better in LDD because I have every brick at my fingertips! I've been thinking about doing some build with my physical bricks soon. I'll have to see how it goes though.

29535942938_d7733b1e54_c.jpg

The Hermes by Ross Fisher, on Flickr

Thoughts please! This is my first minifig-scale ship, and I thought I'd use it as my free class-2. I made a lot of use of the 2x1 curved slopes from the PAB walls. I was more happy than I can say that I had just the right amount of green curves.

Edited by Ross Fisher

@Ross Fisher Nice boat! Good to see our padre got his own ship. The hull is nicely shaped, and I especially like your brick-built sail, it looks very convincing.

Mini frigate WIP:

43033539374_3dc14f008d_b.jpg

29878671058_fc434fb922_b.jpg

29878671688_e340443953_b.jpg

Need to pick up a bunch of blue plates tomorrow, gonna have to see where to go from there.

After much thought and trial and error, I have decided to attempt a larger ship out of real bricks. I believe that it is a Barque style ship, but please correct me if I've got that wrong.

43136278865_25715763d1_b.jpgBarque 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

She looks better in person, but this is my progress so far. I had to make square masts because I don't have enough round bricks for something like this. I tried my hand a giving it a tumblehome, but I only had enough pieces to do it in the main midsection. Some C&C would be appreciated! Thanks!

Looks very promising LM, I like her colour scheme, and the lower part of the hull looks very good, with a nice curve, as to the upper part, I wonder if you've already considered to use some hinges to the sections look more smoother? Or you may also use more plates, I mean instead of bricks, you may continue to build the upper part with plates, and by overlapping them, you'll got some sort of thumblehome, without using hinges.

3 hours ago, Bodi said:

Looks very promising LM, I like her colour scheme, and the lower part of the hull looks very good, with a nice curve, as to the upper part, I wonder if you've already considered to use some hinges to the sections look more smoother? Or you may also use more plates, I mean instead of bricks, you may continue to build the upper part with plates, and by overlapping them, you'll got some sort of thumblehome, without using hinges.

Thanks! Hmm, didn't think of that... I try something out. Thanks!

Some more progress has been made! I quite like how the stern is looking now.

43148891185_d6ae6106a5_b.jpgBarque 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

43148890265_6e8b953985_b.jpgBarque 3 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

29118005687_6a92454852_b.jpgBarque 4 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

I plan to add lots of rigging to her, but unfortunately I only have peach colored string, so... yeah... I may rig her up in peach or get some black or white. Don't know yet.

Edited by LM71Blackbird

44081471362_d267548160_o.jpg

I have finally finished my ship (ok, that actually was three weeks ago) and taken photos (that was today). Just will have to select the best ones and do some minor editing before uploading.