Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

9 hours ago, Bart said:

I think it's a bit to straight. it could use some curve, (sheer) 
and why that bow?

Yeah, it's in no way final yet, I've got some work to do on it. If I even get around to finishing it!

The bow worked nicely on the original ship. I just left it on for now.

@LM71Blackbird

She looks nice - although I agree with Bart.

Giver her some curve, try integrating the cabin more, and bring those courses (mainsails) down to the deck! :P I have noted that on all your square rigs so far, your courses are flying very high, which makes your vessels look odd! The lower part or the courses should be at minifig height from the deck. Further, your jibs really should be flying on each their stay, with the forefront of the sail following the stays, but that might be harder to accomplish in LDD :pir-wink:

Personally, I would also take out the ram at the stern, as outside Assassin's Creed Black Flag (A wildly overrated sea warfare game, at least in terms of realism... But I admit it was fun), it really wasn't used since the triremes! :pir-tongue:

Lastly, a bit of gamemaster grumpiness/information for all: Particularly for LDD ships we require vessels to be distinctively different from former vessels. So adding more midsections and changing a few colours isn't enough - at its current stage, I couldn't allow you to license it, for being to similar to the "lightning". As with brick built vessels, if people simply change round some minor parts, they will not be accepted, and for LDD it is even easier to do so, so we are a bit stricter. Hope it makes sense. :pir-blush:

7 hours ago, Bregir said:

@LM71Blackbird

She looks nice - although I agree with Bart.

Giver her some curve, try integrating the cabin more, and bring those courses (mainsails) down to the deck! :P I have noted that on all your square rigs so far, your courses are flying very high, which makes your vessels look odd! The lower part or the courses should be at minifig height from the deck. Further, your jibs really should be flying on each their stay, with the forefront of the sail following the stays, but that might be harder to accomplish in LDD :pir-wink:

Personally, I would also take out the ram at the stern, as outside Assassin's Creed Black Flag (A wildly overrated sea warfare game, at least in terms of realism... But I admit it was fun), it really wasn't used since the triremes! :pir-tongue:

Lastly, a bit of gamemaster grumpiness/information for all: Particularly for LDD ships we require vessels to be distinctively different from former vessels. So adding more midsections and changing a few colours isn't enough - at its current stage, I couldn't allow you to license it, for being to similar to the "lightning". As with brick built vessels, if people simply change round some minor parts, they will not be accepted, and for LDD it is even easier to do so, so we are a bit stricter. Hope it makes sense. :pir-blush:

Thank you! It all makes perfect sense. I was more or less just messing around with a more heavily armed design. I would of course end up changing a bunch before I went to license it. I think I'm good with 4 vessels for now as well! I take all that into account as well fro future ships! Thank you!

On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Bart said:

I think it's a bit to straight. it could use some curve, (sheer) 
and why that bow?

Perhaps shes an north atlantic Ice cutter?

@LM71Blackbird I do agree with the comments so far.  The sides seem rather flat and the cabin looks like an after thought.  

As far as the sails I like the height of the masts but perhaps you shape the second sail down more trapazoidial, then add a yard under your third that is clued up.  That will give the appearence of four sets of sails.

37 minutes ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Perhaps shes an north atlantic Ice cutter?

@LM71Blackbird I do agree with the comments so far.  The sides seem rather flat and the cabin looks like an after thought.  

As far as the sails I like the height of the masts but perhaps you shape the second sail down more trapazoidial, then add a yard under your third that is clued up.  That will give the appearence of four sets of sails.

Not unless there's ice in the tropics!

I struggle with curves! I will get the hang of it sooner or later though!

Good idea on the sails, I'll mess around with that! Thanks!

Lastly I've been trying to build a large warship from scratch, with hinges and plates, it's about 9 midsections long, plus bow and stern. Unfortunately, it turned out to be quite flimsy, I added more hinges and plates to reinforce the hull, this only solved partly the problem, I still had to handle it with care and my son broke it twice, and he was not intentional. So it's no good and I took it apart today.

15257670841_DISPLAY.jpg

15257670852_DISPLAY.jpg

15257670853_DISPLAY.jpg

And I started again::pir-laugh:

15257670854_DISPLAY.jpg

@Bodi do yo mind if I borrow your gallery technique and modify it? 

It was looking promising .... Looking forward to the stronger improved design

Wow, that looks great! Ships that size are always difficult to finish! Looking forward to future progress!

7 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

@Bodi do yo mind if I borrow your gallery technique and modify it? 

It was looking promising .... Looking forward to the stronger improved design

Thanks, you are welcome. 

7 hours ago, Legostone said:

Wow, that looks great! Ships that size are always difficult to finish! Looking forward to future progress!

Thank you LS. I'm trying a more conventional way to "build" the curve of the hull, using bricks with latereal studs.

This is my current LDD hull design. I'm wondering if she might qualify as a Class 4 with enough build up.

40234754860_d85c88f46b_o.png

20 hours ago, gedren_y said:

This is my current LDD hull design. I'm wondering if she might qualify as a Class 4 with enough build up.

Lengthwise I'll say it qualifies for a class 4, but it line looks quite modern, it would look more era approprite if you could consider to widen the hull and round the bow, you'll have a decent schooner I think.

I won't post more pics than required because its not ready for the game, but to what class would this fit? Technically I used 7 mids but the stern is brick built off the last mid.  I has started with a section less but it was pointed out that it had a V shape instead of a \_/ in the center.

Untitled3alt

On 11.5.2018 at 8:05 PM, gedren_y said:

So far it looks very slender. I think it matches a class 4 in length only, but is much thinner and really lacks the mass of the class 4 archetype. It is tough to say at this point, for now I would call this a class 3 though.

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I won't post more pics than required because its not ready for the game, but to what class would this fit? Technically I used 7 mids but the stern is brick built off the last mid.  I has started with a section less but it was pointed out that it had a V shape instead of a \_/ in the center.

Untitled3alt

Looking nice from what I can make out. Counting the midsections as 6, this would fit the description of a class 7 (heavy frigate) nicely.

Edited by Drunknok

@Bodi She was looking fine! Reminds me of my own SOTL (first ship in this thread, still WIP :P ). Difference is that I am using bent sides, which can actually be quite sturdy. Looking forward to following your new construction.

@Roadmonkeytj I agree with Drunknok (Say WHAAAAT?!? :pir-grin:) - with 6 "effective" mid sections and one deck, she would be a class 7. Looking right fine, btw! :)

@gedren_y Please remember that the archetypes are ALWAYS the benchmark, not other licensed ships. With that length and such a narrow hull (8 studs?) I agree that she is a class 3. If you put her next to the Otter, I even think she will look a tad small.

She looks very sleek and fast, though, with that narrow hull. I would lower the booms of the gaff (fore-and-aft) sails, though, and make the masts taller. For a (topsail) schooner, the masts would be in two parts, divided over the gaff. (the upper boom of the fore-and-aft sails.)

Unless you want to make her a ketch, your second mast seems a bit far aft. For a schooner, the second mast is the main-mast, while on a ketch, it is the mizzenmast (making the forward mast the mainmast).

I am thinking of taking apart HMS Paladin and downsizing it to a ship that is no longer than 48 studs due to limited storage/display space.

I need help finding references for a ship this small, maybe an armed cutter or something?

@Spud The Viking You could go for a small armed cutter like this one. Searching for "armed cutter" on google gives some good results. @Legostone may even have some plans for something that size, or perhaps for an armed schooner, which could also be good for such a size. (Probably a class 3 or 4)

14 minutes ago, Bregir said:

@Spud The Viking You could go for a small armed cutter like this one. Searching for "armed cutter" on google gives some good results. @Legostone may even have some plans for something that size, or perhaps for an armed schooner, which could also be good for such a size. (Probably a class 3 or 4)

Small Schooner was also my thought. Maybe there is something interesting in this thread? Though an armed cutter with lots of canvas would also be interesting...

20 minutes ago, Bregir said:

4 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Small Schooner was also my thought. Maybe there is something interesting in this thread? Though an armed cutter with lots of canvas would also be interesting...

Thanks, I'll go and do my homework

13 hours ago, Bregir said:

I agree with Drunknok (Say WHAAAAT?!? :pir-grin:

I acknowledge this being said in jest, but we do actually agree on a great many things. :wink:

21 hours ago, Bregir said:

@Roadmonkeytj I agree with Drunknok (Say WHAAAAT?!? :pir-grin:) - with 6 "effective" mid sections and one deck, she would be a class 7. Looking right fine, btw! :)

Why thank you sir. Class 7 she is then.

23 hours ago, Bregir said:

She was looking fine! Reminds me of my own SOTL (first ship in this thread, still WIP :P ). Difference is that I am using bent sides, which can actually be quite sturdy. Looking forward to following your new construction.

Thanks Bregir. I'd like to use bent bricks too but it's a technique that I haven't mastered yet so i had to use hinges, which turned out to be quite flimsy on this scale.:wacko: