Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

On 5.12.2017 at 12:29 PM, Bregir said:

She is an absolute beauty! And most builders I know start from the keel up, not from the bow backward - an interesting approach! How do you ensure horizontal strength? Is it hinged together by technic connectors, simply by brick beams? It doesn't look like your first ship, so I am assuming you have tried it all before... ;)

The shaping around the bow is excellent and your headrails look great. I don't personally think she is too round, but it depends a little on the period. I think later ships would have a sharper bow.

For suggestions, it seems like you might be forgetting the chainplates? (For fixing the shrouds to the hull)

Could you show a picture of her from the side?

I hope you will keep us posted on your progress, and if you are tempted to join BoBS "properly", I know 4 factions aching for shipbuilders! ;)

Yeah I decided to go from the bow backwards, because I built it in modules for better transport. The inside of the ship is sadly for stability purpose only. It is supported by bricks and hinges for the angles.

For the shaping of the bow and the period i am not sure. It has to be after Nelson simply because of the chequer and the colour scheme. But when I add sails to her she would lean forwards and the bow seems to be very round under full sails. I am not sure about the sails right now.... I dont have any experience with custom sails so far :/

I have one chainplate "try" at the front right side of the ship so far. Ofc there will be added more!

I will take some pictures from the side aswell. The tumblehome could be improved... I will show you my new design of that aswell. Right now I am waiting for more bricks :D Ordered some 2x2x3 Slopes for easier shaping! For BoBS I think I will join when I am happy with my first complete ship :pir-sweet:

Merc, your ship is looking much sleeker with the lower center lines! You did a good job making your sail rolled up too. I'd eliminate the four studs long section at your widest part and maintain the section that goes out, but is one stud inside of it that's 12 studs long.

Ragni, your ship is looking fantastic and I like your tumblehome technique! 

@merc A nice try :wink: As Dukesc said, I would try to make the middle part more narrow ( = fewer protruding studs (one?) right and left)

@Ragni Norgrimson That's a fabulous and very smartly made tumblehome :cry_happy:, although a very part consuming one :sceptic: )

Ok, I'm going to tentatively dip a toe into the mystical world of ship building again!

I'm trying to build a brick built hull using the hinge method, starting with a smaller (class 2) vessel. Here is what I have so far:

24126184617_f2d33b7884_z.jpg

Any tips would be appreciated, although the parts I am struggling with at the moment are how to integrate the curved hull into the bow and stern.

@Ayrlego It's looking good so far! Interesting choice to build below the sea line. I usually build a cross structure that is connected to the hull at the sides, but not at the bow and stern. The hinges are then moved as close as possible. The drawback is that it often leads to small gaps between the keel and hull, particularly at the bow.

25122723388_b2cfdbf110.jpg

@blackdeathgrYeah it is indeed very part consuming :cry_sad: But it's worth it I think!

@Ayrlego Nice start! As you can see on the pics I used this technique only for the bow. It struggles a little bit in stability. It all works in LDD built ships i guess but with real plastic gravity is an issue. For the Bow section: Try to fit in another hinge plate so you have one on ech side. then combine them in the bowsprit section with a hinge brick with 2x2 upper part to fit the hull shape.

@Ayrlego An excellent start! Regarding the bow section,I am with @Ragni Norgrimson on that. To eliminate that nasty gap @Flavius Gratian has observed, you can try ending up with a 2x2 beak. More often than not, it's not the most elegant solution I have seen, still you end up without that gap. Other than that, all three ships have beautiful curves!

18 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

@Ayrlego An excellent start! Regarding the bow section,I am with @Ragni Norgrimson on that. To eliminate that nasty gap @Flavius Gratian has observed, you can try ending up with a 2x2 beak. More often than not, it's not the most elegant solution I have seen, still you end up without that gap. Other than that, all three ships have beautiful curves!

Not nessesarily so! You can still go from two stud wide beak to one stud wide beak at the edge of the boat hull by using 2x1 technic bricks with one hole and a snotted beak.

5 hours ago, Ragni Norgrimson said:

Not nessesarily so! You can still go from two stud wide beak to one stud wide beak at the edge of the boat hull by using 2x1 technic bricks with one hole and a snotted beak.

Nice idea!

I have made some progress on "The Big One". Following the suggestion from @Bregir, I redid the lower hull, and I do like the result ver much - thanks! I also redid my connon design, and have 28 of the 30 cannons done for the lowest gun deck:

v2wkM9f.jpg

dJo1rBz.jpg

tn8fJt2.jpg

I do not think I will change anything about my 36-pounder build. It comes with two 1x1 round plates at the underside, so can be attached to studded surfaces. I guess I will do 24-pounders with the barrell being one round brick shorter, and come up with a similar design for 12-pounders using 3-stud long wedges (instead of 4 long). Sorry for the distorted colours:

U50iUzE.jpg

2k9YSLW.jpg

Hello, I hope everyone has had a merry Christmas! I for one got the time to finally try out rigging for the first time, so I thought I should ask you guys for some feedback.

24467871897_a082d849ba_z.jpg

24467872627_37bea4a2e8_z.jpg

I know the ones tied to the aft deck are a bit lax, I'll see if I bother to fix it. Nonetheless, the rest of the rigging is strong enough for her to be lifted by the mast, although she is a little back heavy

24467873137_519c098ac2_z.jpg

Looks nice, FG, the rig seems good to me! :thumbup:  It does look almost like the mast is tilting back just a tad - if you could manage to make the bowsprit just a tiny bit longer it'd pull that forward and tighten your aft lines as well.  

Even overlooking the rig, the rest of the ship is excellent though - really liking the added details of the lanterns, the net, and hatch!  Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Happy New Years everyone!

I need a size check opinion on a WIP frigate build.  Length is 66 studs (5 prefab mid section and 2 ends); width at the waist is 19 studs, and height at the waist is roughly 12 to the the decking.  So for comparison purposes, one prefab section longer, a bit wider because of some tumbledown, and one gun deck taller than the IFS.

2n99yr9.jpg

XyxhJYF.jpg

It is certainly not a ship of the line like the Royal Phillipe, so class 10 is out.

The only three class 8 comparables are Etats de Boussac, the Expedition, and Terrible/Tonnant, and I think it could fit in that category.

5 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

I need a size check opinion on a WIP frigate build.  Length is 66 studs (5prefab mid section and 2 ends); width at the waist is 19 studs, and height at the waist is roughly 12 to the the decking.  So for comparison purposes, one prefab section longer, a bit wider because of some tumbledown, and one gun deck taller than the IFS.

It is certainly not a ship of the line like the Royal Phillipe, so class 10 is out.

The only three class 8 comparables are Etats de Boussac, the Expedition, and Terrible/Tonnant, and I think it could fit in that category.

The common agreement is that class 8+ are at least 6 midsections, so yours would probably a class 7. The example for class 7 is actually a 5 midsection 2 decker ;)

What you have there already looks good, though maybe a bit tall. If you can somehow manage, try replacing at least the central part of the bulwarks with some fences to make it look less closed. Your curve going up is also a bit odd - first a 6 long part, then a 9 long one. I would recommend changing that around. Oh, and I'm not quite sure, is there any way that frigate is heavily inspired by Assassin's Creed Black Flag? Somewhat reminds me of one of the ships in that game...

1 last thing - mast placement. Look at the plans for a random SOTL:

hkhwcx5.jpg

and next look at how your masts are placed. The foremast is fine, but main and mizzen should move further back. 

Ah, while I'm here already I might as well share a couple WIPs I still have sitting around:

testing out shaping for a Galleon, started a while back, 5 midsections (though I'm getting rid of most of that as I found it impractical):

39418776961_c1ea4db254_b.jpg

probably not gonna do masts and rigging for this one as its nothing more than a simple test for the shape. Not sure what to do with it for the BOBS universe in this regard... It would be a class 7, but I find it difficult to justify a ship without rigging...

My bomb ketch (2 small midsections):

38533733236_9ed9127f1b_b.jpg

just missing a bit of rigging, very close to done. Was at Antwerp. Will probably finish it at some point (TM). Sitting next to my Brig.

Small postship (3 small midsections, 18 + 2 guns):

36740656044_6eefcfc914_b.jpg

Haven't touched this one in a couple months as priorities were for finishing the ketch and brig for BMA. Probably gonna dig it back out soon as I really like the colours.

And lastly, the forgotten Frigate. Originally the ship I was planning to use for the AMRCA, the rigging was all done and then it was set aside and forgotten - I just hate making sails. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, because there is no way I'm making sails for this forgotten ship... Might remove the one sail it already has and go with some rolled up brickbuilt sails, as I'm certainly not tearing down any of the two ships that could donate their sails for this one...

36364053894_2ce94bd6b5_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

I need a size check opinion on a WIP frigate build.  Length is 66 studs (5 prefab mid section and 2 ends); width at the waist is 19 studs, and height at the waist is roughly 12 to the the decking.  So for comparison purposes, one prefab section longer, a bit wider because of some tumbledown, and one gun deck taller than the IFS.

2n99yr9.jpg

XyxhJYF.jpg

Going by "historical standards", this would be a fifth rate ship. By the BotBS standards this should be a class 7 in my opinion. Your ship looks very close to the Margot shown there.

Edited by Drunknok

39 minutes ago, Legostone said:

The common agreement is that class 8+ are at least 6 midsections, so yours would probably a class 7. The example for class 7 is actually a 5 midsection 2 decker ;

I realize that there were some size guidelines thrown out there during the Era switch, but they were so haphazardly applied I don't hold them in much regard tbh.  I don't mean that as an insult, but simply pointing out that there is no consistency applied.  Putting a two decker in the same class (i.e. 7) as these warships makes little sense to me:

If anything, The Margot was short-shrifted should be pushed up a class and set rule put in place.

Class 9/10 = 3 gun deck warship (SotL)

Class 8 = 2 gun deck warship (frigate)

Class 1-7 = 1 deck warship (canoe to sloop-of-war/corvette)

But without being sarcastic, the initial response forced me to spend an hour looking at every licensed ship, which wasn't a bad way to spend a lazy afternoon.  It did reinforce my opinion though and mine will be licensed as a class 8.

I'm going to Concur with @Kwatchi. My Judgement is one section shorter than the "Class 8 requirement" But the thing is a massive three decker. If it had two decks I'd understand. But as a three deck warship, I feel that it's a class 8. Maybe I'm just being pedantic, and wanting my build to be a higher class, but as someone who builds with physical bricks, building larger ships is a challenge, and I'd like a little more leeway on classes.

14 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

a WIP frigate build

Great to see a new two-decker is going to join the free nation of Searats. The ship looks good so far and I like her colour scheme. 

14 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

She has 6 midsections and classed as a class 8, I think yours has approximatively the same size than my Ardent, which is a class 7 two-decker with 5 midsections.

9 hours ago, Legostone said:

a Galleon

Wow, she is gorgeous, that stern is amazing, with tons of details, nice job here.:thumbup:

The bomb ketch is very well built too, I like her rigging and I'm also curious how you'll use her, since a bomb ketch is purely offensive.:tongue:

21 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Wow, she is gorgeous, that stern is amazing, with tons of details, nice job here.:thumbup:

The bomb ketch is very well built too, I like her rigging and I'm also curious how you'll use her, since a bomb ketch is purely offensive.:tongue:

Thanks! Almost all the time spent building it was spent on that part - the bow isn't worth showing yet, though I have a couple ideas how to go about it. Might run out of dark blue... Putting together the stern was lots of fun though :D

Thanks! You have found one of the reasons I haven't continued that one in a while... :P I might just finish it and sell it off to the highest bidder out there :P

Regarding licensing: Don't shoot the messenger, I've had lengthy discussions with @Bregir about this subject, go ahead and convince him that your vessels should be class 8 instead of 7. You might also make DukeSC unhappy here...

Edit: timing!

Lots of interesting MOCs here that I will comment on when I find the time.

For now, let me just clear up a misunderstanding. Ships should ALWAYS be licensed according to the archetypes presented in the ship topic, NOT according to other existing ships.

Why? To avoid class creep. If we always use the same benchmark, we will not risk everything sliding.

If you feel that some existing vessels are unfairly licensed, you can take it up with the prize court.

So Kwatchi. If your ship is comparable in size with the Margot, the archetypes for Class 7, she should be a class 7, not a class 8.

Well, setting aside the discussion emerging there, I've continued on my test galleon:

25566286968_ffdc4c134e_b.jpg

Again, I'm gonna redo the lowest part of the hull (getting rid of all but the bowpart of the prefabs, finish the hull, add decks, decoration, maybe add the lowest part of the masts, take pictures and tear it back down as it is merely a test for another project. And no, I can't even add some quick rigging as I'm currently out of string for rigging. @Bregir If I go fancy enough with the decks, could I get an excuse to license it anyways? I really like this ship, but the parts I'm using here were, all along, meant for a completely different ship and I need to get them back very soon. Otherwise it'll just be another ship that ends up completely forgotten in a drydock...

Another ship from me, well, still a wip at early stage. I'm trying some new techniques here, at least new to me. Basically a combination of custom hull with prefab ones, I'm not sure if this works though.:grin:

15150358961_DISPLAY.jpg

15150358972_DISPLAY.jpg

On 2018/1/2 at 5:26 AM, Legostone said:

test galleon

I'm loving that bow! Stunning work.

Edited by Bodi