Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

I personally like the two masted better, with a big boom and gaff sail on the aft mast. swooping over the quarterdeck (cabin top) 

Some WIP pics of a class 2 currently under construction:

geg3cP0.jpg

nrjb7J3.jpg

EI2aTTv.jpg

Obviously missing: steering wheel, sails, the necessary parts on mast and prow to hold the sails. But apart from that (and details like cargo etc.) I consider it mostly done. There will be no "realistic rigging", because I do not aim for realism. Other suggestions are welcome.

@Drunknok Nice little ship. The overall shape is good and I like how you've managed to fit two large guns on the narrow hull.

As suggestions, I think you can use some hinges along the hull, to follow the curve of the stern. 

@Spud The Viking:

I think both could work, really. Not actually sure what I prefer, but the two masted version will be most realistic in scale. (And you do save time on the number of sails you will have to do... :pir-wink: ) For aesthetics, I tend to prefer three-masters, though, as looking more balanced. In short, I am a bit torn between the two.

A few other suggestions. Your jibboom (the thin part of the bowsprit) should be attached differently. Instead of protruding from the center of the bowsprit, it should have an overlap with the bowsprit, just like topmasts have an overlap with the lower masts. See here.

Further, seeing her from the side shows a very vertical stern. Rounding her somewhat and giving the stern an angle would make her look more realistic and harmonic.

Otherwise, she is looking fabulous!

@Drunknok:

I'd go for a sloop rig of some sort, although that might beyond your scope for rigging. A bowsprit would definitely be fitting anyways, and I am wondering what sort of sail plan you are actually planning? Could look like a single square sail.

I'll agree with Bodi that you could use some hinges to make her stern and bow follow the shape of the hull more, as currently, they are a bit square. Love the little lanterns, btw, and the red railings.

@Mesabi I like the colour choices, that black/orange mix works. Another massive vessel it seems - apparently the WTC is looking to rule the Brick Seas! :thumbup:

@Mesabi very intimidating colour scheme!

@Drunknok reminds me of the old Lego sets, looks promising!

As for me I've changed a few things. The cabin has been removed and more guns have been added, looking at real life vessels, this seemed more accurate/realistic. Masts have been added and the spanker can be rotated ever so slightly at the bottom. The upper rear jib (the name escapes me right now) will not be at that angle in the finished product. The figurehead area is also work in progress as is the rudder.

38587616526_4e0d4a8a72_c.jpg

38643736241_19b9e73871_c.jpg

Comments and criticisms most welcome!

Again, please do excuse the mess, I'm lazy and find it incredibly hard to put things back :pir-tongue:

Edited by Spud The Viking

On 11/26/2017 at 12:51 AM, Spud The Viking said:

As for me I've changed a few things. The cabin has been removed and more guns have been added, looking at real life vessels, this seemed more accurate/realistic. Masts have been added and the spanker can be rotated ever so slightly at the bottom. The upper rear jib (the name escapes me right now) will not be at that angle in the finished product. The figurehead area is also work in progress as is the rudder.

You'll get the full review - take what you please and ignore the rest :pir-wink: And for the record, she is a very impressive vessel! Really like her.

While I think it could have worked with the cabin and upper decks, I agree the current version is more accurate. :pir-blush:

The upper spar for you gaff sail (fore-and-aft sail) on your main mast (being a brig, the 1st mast is the fore and the 2nd the main, being taller) is called (surprisingly :pir-wink:) the gaff, while the lower one is the boom. If I were you, I would lower the boom to be just above head height for a minifig. Right now, it is carried very high. (Also, a jib is a headsail :pir-wink: )

And your masts should be divided in lower mast, topmast, and topgallant, similarly to what I showed you with the bowsprit. And for topmast and topgallantmast, I would suggest lighter spars.

As to your hull, the lower stern seems a bit too square to me. Some inverted slopes might do the job, and I don't know if it is possible with the structure of the build, but it would make her look more harmonic. (Check this link to see what I mean)

On 11/26/2017 at 12:51 AM, Spud The Viking said:

Again, please do excuse the mess, I'm lazy and find it incredibly hard to put things back :pir-tongue:

Looks like a tidy version of my worktable, so you won't have any smoke from me! :pir-tongue:

@Mesabi: Those colours work surprisingly well - For this one, I'd like to see some progression from you - perhaps a more realistic curve, lower decks, and/or a more elaborate rigging? Looking forward to seeing where it goes in any case!

Thank you very much @Bregir for the feedback, it is much appreciated! I foreseen you asking to move the jib down, it should as you said be head-height.

I'm not sure about the masts though, maybe moving the sections forward after the yellow part? i have limited brown pieces and I wouldn't be able to make the mast smaller at this point.

As for the stern, I'll experiment with hinges and see what I come up with.

Also, that was the 'tidy' side of the desk you were seeing, the other half is abominable :pir-look::pir_laugh2: 

Length at the waterline: 84 studs. Width at two studs above the waterline: 16 studs. What would that be in the end? Class 6? 7? 8?

First WIP pix tomorrow.

Just now, Drunknok said:

Length at the waterline: 84 studs. Width at two studs above the waterline: 16 studs. What would that be in the end? Class 6? 7? 8?

First WIP pix tomorrow.

Depends on a lot of things, but I have a twodecker sotl under construction at about 90 studs at the waterline and 22 studs wide that I was imagining as a class 8. But its always hard to say until you see the finished product :)

However, 6 or 7 sounds reasonable for now, I would say.

Just now, Bregir said:

Depends on a lot of things, but I have a twodecker sotl under construction at about 90 studs at the waterline and 22 studs wide that I was imagining as a class 8. But its always hard to say until you see the finished product :)

However, 6 or 7 sounds reasonable for now, I would say.

Thanks for that. Of course there is still a lot in the open. I myself am not sure where this goes to be honest. I only know I want to build something big for Corrington, and something halfway realistic.

I had some ideas about a monster-ship with two hulls, but that one will have to wait for the time being.

Sounds cool, Drunknok - my suggestion is always to build what you feel like, and see how it fits within the classes, rather than set the class in stone and then aim for that. I find that more inspiring.

And Corrington will certainly be thankful.

16 hours ago, Drunknok said:

First WIP pix tomorrow.

Can't wait to see thoses pics

First things first. I started a class 1 sloop for @Bregirs excellent gunboat initiative. It is of course just the start, C&C are appreciated:

rLTJDeE.jpg

YZGo2xA.jpg

ybLDhTu.jpg

A comparison shot to the "Cranky Parrot":

rxKasTA.jpg

And then, of course, "The Big One". Please keep in mind that these are very early WIP pictures, this will not be done any time soon.

Some views on the current state of the build, with size comparisons to the "Cranky Parrot" and "Brickbeards Bounty":

FCqomGO.jpg

gClBQGG.jpg

73oODYq.jpg

HcUPPLv.jpg

3UdiYxI.jpg

As I said, it is very early into the build. Those "colourful" parts are for stability reasons and will of course be hidden under plates.

The main colours will be dark red, dark blue, black and white, with the obvious addition of reddish brown. Secondary colour will be dark tan for most of the dekc plates. Accent colour will be gold.

Finally, the - mostly finished except for silver 1x1 round tile wheels - build I will use for the 36-pounders (of which there will be 30). The 24-pounders (40 or more) will use the 3-long wedge plates and be one black round brick shorter at the barrel, but the same otherwise:

53JR7Ix.jpg

37779740285_742d733bea_z.jpgIMG_20171121_030805 by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

26890893399_7f615dfbe5_z.jpgIMG_20171121_030730 by Ragni Norgrimson, auf Flickr

Ahoi fellow landrats! Yes I am a new face :P

I also posted this in the general Pirates WIP thread before but i guess here are the guys who know what to do! Feel free to fire with all cannons! This is just an early WIP. I know the planks should go lengthwise not crosswise. I feel she is a bit narrow and the front seems to be a bit round... what do you think?

@Drunknok Regarding your gunboat, I like how you used those profile bricks and the tiled sides but as a remark, I would like to say that you should have used (two?) more hinges to make the bow a bit more curved, instead of arrow tipped and seeing the final result on your other post, I thing your gunboat should have either had a bit more length or staying at your chosen length, it would have looked more historically accurate with a narrower profile. Seeing your (way) bigger ship in project, I am eagerly waiting for it to proceed. I especially love those dark blue curved pieces looking upwards that make a really good tumblehome!

@Ragni Norgrimson Welcome matey! From what I can see, you have built yourself a really successful bow (I also like the white shark :wink: ) and we are eagerly waiting for the rest of your ship! By all means you are certainly on the right direction! :thumbup:

It's been a while since an update of the Gotheborg.

38831575411_1a8a7726b5_c.jpg

I made her a midsec longer so her proportions were more right.

Here the original vessel:

a-sketch-over-gc3b6theborg_s-sails_soic_

343288.jpg

On 4.12.2017 at 1:41 AM, blackdeathgr said:

@Drunknok Regarding your gunboat, I like how you used those profile bricks and the tiled sides but as a remark, I would like to say that you should have used (two?) more hinges to make the bow a bit more curved, instead of arrow tipped and seeing the final result on your other post, I thing your gunboat should have either had a bit more length or staying at your chosen length, it would have looked more historically accurate with a narrower profile.

Thanks for the critical comments, I appreciate it. I had wished for some input from my fellow Corlander, but it seems Oleon is the only side to have something to say about it.

I have made a few changes for my second design, indeed including some more hinges. Pictures tomorrow on Thursday (I am missing some curcial parts for a larger build), I just wanted to let you know in advance. :thumbup:

@Maxim I: That is some impressive brickwork, and I can not wait for the finished result!

Edited by Drunknok

@Drunknok

Gunboat

That was fast! I like the use of the "backside" of the brick bricks for planking, and the snot work on the side. I agree with BD that it is a bit wide compared to its length, but not by much, and that it could benefit from a few more hinges. As BD said, it seems a bit too arrow-tip-like. Typically, it would be widest in the middle or a little in front of the middle, and then rounded towards the bow, and getting narrower towards the stern. Overall the shape is pretty good, though.

The Big One

That is going to be pretty damned big, sir! Seems like a very ambitious project and I will be looking forward to following it. I would suggest two things for now. Add a slight curve to your gun deck, by gradually raising the guns towards the bow and stern so that the fore fore and aft most guns are about a brick in height higher than the middle ones, with the aft most guns perhaps being a plate or two higher than the foremost. If you look at pictures of sailing ships you will see that very few of them have entirely straight rows of gunports, and that those which do often look less elegant.

Cannon
Looks good! For the large ones (36 pounders) perhaps you should turn them upside down, so to speak, so that the bottom stud, which is a larger opening, points outwards instead?

@Ragni Norgrimson

She is an absolute beauty! And most builders I know start from the keel up, not from the bow backward - an interesting approach! How do you ensure horizontal strength? Is it hinged together by technic connectors, simply by brick beams? It doesn't look like your first ship, so I am assuming you have tried it all before... ;)

The shaping around the bow is excellent and your headrails look great. I don't personally think she is too round, but it depends a little on the period. I think later ships would have a sharper bow.

For suggestions, it seems like you might be forgetting the chainplates? (For fixing the shrouds to the hull)

Could you show a picture of her from the side?

I hope you will keep us posted on your progress, and if you are tempted to join BoBS "properly", I know 4 factions aching for shipbuilders! ;)

@Maxim I

She is promising to be your best ship yet, and that is saying a lot! I actually think she is a lot nicer than the original! ;)

The gentle curves of her hull are superbly elegant, and I can't really suggest much, so instead I will ask a question: The five ports on the lower deck - what were their purpose historically? Did she carry guns there, and what guns? She seems to large for bunker oars, and five of them wouldn't get her anywhere, I guess. Anyways - it seems curious and I'd love to know if you research has unearthed anything on this. :)

11 hours ago, Drunknok said:

had wished for some input from my fellow Corlander, but it seems Oleon is the only side to have something to say about it.

A little patience would suit you well, sir.

22 minutes ago, Bregir said:

The five ports on the lower deck - what were their purpose historically?

they are cargo hatchway... loading and unloading windows

Gedren,

I really like that technique for adding tumblehome to a ship! I plan to use this technique in the future.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Dukesc