Bregir

Shipwrights Guild Hall (WIPs, feedback, and advice)

39 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

The way i see everybody's WIPs around here, we must all stock up on black 2x2 flags and their respective modified 1x2 plates for gunports... AND sufficient round 2x2 bricks for masts!

I'm ready!

31019511831_db78946b60_z.jpg
(oops, missed the modified 1x2 plates, but I have around 200 in black)

28 minutes ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Two first-rates incoming :grin:

Why would you expect me to build 2 first rates this early in the game?
30133385291_6dc0270127_t.jpg

*oh2* :excited:

21 minutes ago, Legostone said:

Why would you expect me to build 2 first rates this early in the game?

I... I don't know... mad minds think alike, maybe? :innocent:

But nobody please forget: Maxim started it all :grin:

I reworked the base a little, and then built it out . . . a lot.

30777299090_64510597e3_z.jpg
(full image)

I have 28 gun ports on this one side. I'm not sure about the bow. I've got two types of prefab hull pieces, and my own angular bow design all mixed into this. I'm still playing around with the stern as well, but there's less I can do there.

@gedren_y I hope I don't sound offensive in what I'm about to say... It's really just meant to help you improve your techniques - after all that is what all of us strive for here, isn't it :wink:

If you take a look at this as an example of small double decker (HMS America - a 5th rate from 1749):

eCsVbk9.png

• you'll see that the ship narrows towards the stern - which I'm not sure your vessel does. You could use hinge-plates or other techniques to achieve such a result.
  • your gun-port pattern is not accurate - it should be arranged like a chess-board: the gun on the upper gun-deck would be placed in the middle of two guns on the lower gun-deck, and so on. This has structural reasons, as guns 'on top of each other' would weaken the hull.
  • guns would usually be arranged across the entire length of the ship, not just amassed in the middle - so you might want to rethink that link between the gun carrying part and the red bow.
  • get rid of these parts at the bow - in case you're not going for a mid-19th century vessel with a closed bow, try to build head-rails using flex-tubes or - again - hinge plates.
  • the stern... easily one of the most difficult bits - especially when building multi-deck vessels... check the ship index, try out a few things and report back :wink:

@Kolonialbeamter That actually helped fix the stern issue. I added five more small sections staggered inward, repositioned the gun ports, and in the last few sections placed some windows instead of gun ports. Now she has 32 gun ports on each side. I continued the angular look to the upper bow. I think I will have her described as a modified vessel, created from the hulls of three damaged ships. Like most of my other ships, she'll be an amalgam of designs.

Btw, the above construction plan... I kind of fell in love with that ship, so here's yet another WIP:

La Gloire - 44 gun 5th rate - an early frigate or cute-SotL... including minion with banana for scale :grin:

Length at waterline is 103 studs, beam 25.

31165699275_64a0c53951_z.jpg

All basic structural issues are solved - now comes the detailing part.

That's one big 5th rate! I see you are going with 6 studs between gunports, don't tell me that's just to beat my 5:pir-laugh: (Although I think my 64 is still a bit bigger, you don't win this here:D) Looking good so far, I might have to go and steal those railings for the guns on the Quarterdeck, I didn't manage to come up with something appropriate so far. Also, those guns remind me of something... 
28042655554_14bf4917e0.jpg 
(I have 40 of these built, don't ask me why)

1 hour ago, Legostone said:

That's one big 5th rate!

I thought so at first, too... but placing her next to a 3rd rate puts things back in perspective :grin: And compared to another (single gun-deck) frigate she is about the same size... just higher... can't really imagine this affected seaworthiness is a good way :sick: :laugh:

I see you are going with 6 studs between gunports, don't tell me that's just to beat my 5:pir-laugh: 

Hehe... nice side effect :tongue: JK. I'm amazed, too, by that spacing - but a plan is a plan is a plan. Hach, you know... Tschörmens :hmpf::grin:

I might have to go and steal those railings for the guns on the Quarterdeck, I didn't manage to come up with something appropriate so far

Those are just tiles. Not really convinced of the design, but nothing else (SNOTed versions, flextubes) got close enough to the plan...

I have 40 of these built, don't ask me why

Öhh... Maxim started it! :grin:

1 hour ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

I thought so at first, too... but placing her next to a 3rd rate puts things back in perspective :grin: And compared to another (single gun-deck) frigate she is about the same size... just higher... can't really imagine this affected seaworthiness is a good way :sick: :laugh:

Hehe... nice side effect :tongue: JK. I'm amazed, too, by that spacing - but a plan is a plan is a plan. Hach, you know... Tschörmens :hmpf::grin:

Those are just tiles. Not really convinced of the design, but nothing else (SNOTed versions, flextubes) got close enough to the plan...

Öhh... Maxim started it! :grin:

Still no regrets of it... I am a legend already :sweet: (well, at least my ship is hahaha :laugh:)

@Legostone: Looking great so far! I think the hull has some very nice shapes, and I will be looking forward to seeing more! (The first rate is looking interesting too... :wink:) I am happy to hear you have reworked the figurehead a bit, though. :pir-tongue:

Nice little tool - I might try that out if I ever decide actually building from a sketch! :grin:

@Kolonialbeamter: Thanks - I am happy to hear you are starting to like her :wink: Those arches are in fact one of my favourite parts! The galley was just a small piece of procrastination, but I think I will finish her at some point.

La Gloire is looking really nice - the colours are very well chosen, and the proportions are great. I am wondering how strong such a construction would actually be "in the brick", though, as it looks a bit flimsy with all those hinges.

@kurigan I think the Fregata Grossa vs. SOTL is mainly a linguistic issue, more than rooted in any differences in the designs, just like your example with the word "ship". As to the doubled mast on the Galley, that was due to a lack of bricks - and I wanted to get the proportions to check the position of the mast and yard. It doesn't look half bad, though, and I might maintain it, but then again, it is a WIP.

@gedren_y Great seeing you didn't just put your idea away! I think KB addressed the most interesting points, and will be looking forward to seeing more of your progress! :pir-blush:

And yeah, I blame @Maxim I! :pir-grin: The Margot will indeed go down into the books of legend as the spark that ignited the fire!

I may need to raise the deck a brick height or two above the upper gun deck. I will have quite a time getting the sides symmetrical. Getting a realistic sail plan may be what I'll need help with next.

I've been working on a ship using the Lego string with handholds as the rigging. I think I've come up with something that works. Here's a test shot early in the build just to see if it works and get the correct mast height figured out..

5ha.jpg

22 minutes ago, Legostone said:

@Capt Wolf The rigging is looking good! But I think it would help if the hull would be a bit wider and the gunports would start a bit further up. 

Thanks! The rigging took a few attempts before I got it this way.

I initially started with the gunports higher, but it didn't look right. I know it rides a little low in the water, but this essentially matches my 5T build in height and width. It is absolutely the largest ship I would try to build on standard hull pieces. I already have plans for a wider version, which will allow for many elements to be moved in scale.

Edited by Capt Wolf

@Capt WolfLooks good, Captain. I am not sure I would move the gunports any higher, though. However, I do agree with Legostone on the rigging - and the lower mast of the main looks to have the right height.

I will be looking forward to seeing how you continue with the bow from there.

53 minutes ago, Bregir said:

@Capt WolfLooks good, Captain. I am not sure I would move the gunports any higher, though. However, I do agree with Legostone on the rigging - and the lower mast of the main looks to have the right height.

I will be looking forward to seeing how you continue with the bow from there.

Thanks! This ship is a development of the basic design I used for the Heart of Eslandia / Bellson, so the bow should look somewhat similar, but I haven't worked out the details yet. I've been able to move the foremast forward a bit with the revised rigging style, and the whole ship is 4 studs longer.

@Bregir Procrastination often results in marvelous ideas and creations, so keep procrastinating! Not tomorrow - now! :grin:

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

I am wondering how strong such a construction would actually be "in the brick"

Depends on how many bricks you're investing.

@Capt Wolf Good looking WIP so far :thumbup: I, too, hope the bow will live up to the promise. About the rigging... just when I'm abandoning this technique digitally, it catches on in the brick :laugh: As I told CB at some point, you could try using this part or similar ones for those - whatever the correct nautical term is - step thingies.

Can someone elaborate a bit on the half stud technique used to broaden the center part of (prefab or not) ship hulls? Do i have to use a ton of 3794b jumper bricks or is there an alternative way so as to save bricks? Thanks in advance!

Got bored waiting for MCRA results - made this:

31224769686_2c7bd25c6f_z.jpg

La Gloire's tumblehome 'drawn' with flex-tubes. Not at all useful, but it kinda looks cool.