kjm161

[MOC] A Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario

I have fond memories of listening to Harold Engel’s “A Child’s Christmas in Scarborough” on the CBC while travelling to relatives during the holiday season. His irreverent Canadian take on the Dylan Thomas classic poem made the long car rides almost enjoyable. I have tried to create a Lego MOC inspired by being a kid in Eastern Ontario over the holiday season. Some other inspirations are the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes, the film “A Christmas Story” and of course the annual Doctor Who Christmas special (Fezzes are cool!).

30772288831_b8e9f8a9a8_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30225446770_8a96b9cb54_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30858937005_9285b4c7c9_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30282642440_4ded060942_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30858897645_d1fe4aa753_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

I have included a few features that have been inspired by and/or borrowed from fellow MOCers. These include: JKbrickworks’ miniature tractor, Miro Dudas’ birch tree, Michael Jasper’s rocking chair, Eero Okkonen’s lamp post from the Winter Village Brewery, Etzel use of the Duplo fur for a rug from the winter log cabin, Thorsten Bonsch‘s typewriter from the H.P Lovecraft’s Study and Vecchiasignora Ceppo’s knitter using bagpiper’s kilt from the Winter tailor shop. So many talented people.

30487348856_af72fe9a1e_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

29891030723_e8ef1b7981_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

29890963853_d81ddbc04e_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30407053792_976e3f2315_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30859088625_668057440a_c.jpgArtist Studio by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30226902694_9c09a8aa79_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30859042845_4bf8602d69_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30771099041_796a76db6a_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30771115351_4a7b9869a4_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30487249496_f50cded0e7_c.jpgA Child's Christmas in Eastern Ontario by Karen Metz, on Flickr

The red brick house is loosely based on the J.T. Gallagher House (1885) in Newboro, Ontario, which has an amazing slate roof. For modular purists there are no interior stairs, which would have taken up a lot of interior space and I wanted to fill with holdiay/family scenes instead, so teleportation it is (at least they could use the Tardis). The artwork in the artist studio is a copy of the Group of Seven artist Lawren Harris’ “Pine Tree and Red House, Winter City Painting II" (1924). The bridge is inspired by the stone bridge in Lyndhurst which is the oldest bridge in Ontario, built in 1856/1857, and is still in use today.
Hope you enjoy and an early Happy Holidays!

30522380906_de91d82b9c_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

30223439023_b2e1d0e216_c.jpgimage by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Wowwwwwwwwww!!!!

Love Love this!!!!

- you have used Great pieces ( the figures that you made are just right )

Great Great Great Work!!!

Greetings

Such a detailed MOC, kjm161!

There are certainly more details than can be described, but here are a few in particular that I noticed:
The hand-cranked phonograph is well designed.  You used a lovely technique for knitting with the levers and kilt!  The dark red brick with dark tan highlighting looks very nice and realistic.  The Nexo shields work very well for roof shingles.  I really like your lamp post and bridge design.  The snow and ice make this a nice winter scene.  All of the different family members are represented well with parts usage and different activities.  Compasses make nice quilt patches.

This MOC must have taken some time to complete, but the result is well worth it all!  Thanks for sharing this build.

Is that Calvin and Hobbes in the snowball fight?

Thanks carebear, rdflego, frikandeloorlog, and Slegengr for the comments. I had fun with all the little details. It is Clavin and Hobbes (in his stuffed animal guise) tormenting their favourite victim Susie. A couple of his snowmen masterpieces are located outside the house as well.

30746722812_5269e4bff5_z.jpgCalvin and Hobbes and their favourite victim Susie by Karen Metz, on Flickr

Edited by kjm161

15 minutes ago, kjm161 said:

A couple of his snowmen masterpieces are located outside the house as well.

Wow, I cannot believe I missed this connection after noticing Calvin, Hobbes, and Susie!  I now like the snowmen even more, especially with the facial expressions!

Incredible work. Love the roof most, i think, along with the phonograph [and His Masters Voice] and the quilt. What is the wallpaper in the art room from? I am amazed at the detail you have crammed in, without it feeling cluttered and messy. Just homely and welcoming.

Awesome! Beautifully made and such attention to detail! The rug is cool, and the roof is well built just to highlight two things, good job.

The inside details are also stunning.... it is an amazing build with so many printed tiles! The whole build must have cost a small fortune!! Great work!!

Fabulous. I really like the high level of detail. I didn't miss the stairs at all :) It's also nice that you include the names of the people that inspired you. 

One thing I did notice is the roof. Was it supposed to be completely different at the back? The other 3 sides have the same 'structure'

6 hours ago, sunhuntin said:

Incredible work. Love the roof most, i think, along with the phonograph [and His Masters Voice] and the quilt. What is the wallpaper in the art room from? I am amazed at the detail you have crammed in, without it feeling cluttered and messy. Just homely and welcoming.

The wallpaper is from the Batman TV series batcave. It reduced the size of the room but really liked the effect of having wallpaper. The dog works well as a nod to His Masters Voice. Thanks for the comments.

5 hours ago, The Architect said:

Awesome! Beautifully made and such attention to detail! The rug is cool, and the roof is well built just to highlight two things, good job.

4 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Wow. Brilliant. All those details. In every corner there is something. One detail more stunning than the other. :wub:

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

The inside details are also stunning.... it is an amazing build with so many printed tiles! The whole build must have cost a small fortune!! Great work!!

Ah yes, the bricklink bill, but since this MOC is staying intact for quite a while, it was worth it to me :). Thanks for the comments!

23 minutes ago, Svendp said:

Fabulous. I really like the high level of detail. I didn't miss the stairs at all :) It's also nice that you include the names of the people that inspired you. 

One thing I did notice is the roof. Was it supposed to be completely different at the back? The other 3 sides have the same 'structure'

Happy you didn't miss the stairs :) I wanted to have a similar roof on the rest of the building on the front, but couldn't figure out how to achieve the tiled effect with the angles without gaps showing so I went with a more conventional roof on the front. I really wanted to still include the tiled back so I kept it and you don't really see both roof lines together from many vantages. Compromises.

Fantastic interior detailing. You clearly put a lot of thought and work into it. I really like the truck too and the outside feels very Christmasy, especially with the dark background signifying short days. I'll pouring over the interior details as I have had a builder's block for the interior of my buildings.

Miro

12 hours ago, Miro78 said:

Fantastic interior detailing. You clearly put a lot of thought and work into it. I really like the truck too and the outside feels very Christmasy, especially with the dark background signifying short days. I'll pouring over the interior details as I have had a builder's block for the interior of my buildings.

Miro

Thanks! Love your Christmas creations as well. I tried to make the truck feel more vintage so happy you like it.

Thanks Rick, honoured to have my MOC highlighted on the Frontpage.

Ahh... you beat me to the Calvin and Hobbes scene with snowmen. I figured nobody would do that and I have time to linger with mine.

Superb MOC, so much detail that you just want to pour a glass of wine and start admiring :)

1 hour ago, Mestari said:

Ahh... you beat me to the Calvin and Hobbes scene with snowmen. I figured nobody would do that and I have time to linger with mine.

Superb MOC, so much detail that you just want to pour a glass of wine and start admiring :)

Thanks! There are still so many more great Calvin and Hobbes snowmen scenes to do. Love to see what you come up with.

What an awesome Christmas scene, warms my heart after a couple of very depressing days for my country...

Really though, you have packed an amazing amount of detail in here! Love the big family doing all kinds of Christmas activities, really brings this build to life. Each room is differently and wonderfully decorated. The outdoor details, trees, ice pond and truck are all nice touches too. That house, of course, is something else. Would love to see something like this in my LUG's upcoming winter display!

Congrats on the frontpage, very well deserved!

As has been said before, the detail is amazing.  I especially love the interior as many builders often omit good internals since "no one is going to see them." But here, the interior tells most of the story.  The cobbles to the front porch are a nice detail as well.

I am curious as to what the ice pile by the mini pond is?  Is that a frozen waterfall?  If so why is there a tree growing out of it?

2 minutes ago, MassEditor said:

What an awesome Christmas scene, warms my heart after a couple of very depressing days for my country...

Really though, you have packed an amazing amount of detail in here! Some of my favorites are the wood panel flooring, the typewriter and the genius blanket in the master bedroom. Love the big family doing all kinds of Christmas activities, really brings this build to life. Each room is differently and wonderfully decorated. The outdoor details, trees, ice pond and truck are all nice touches too. That house, of course, is something else. Would love to see something like this in my LUG's upcoming winter display!

8 hours ago, durazno33 said:

As has been said before, the detail is amazing.  I especially love the interior as many builders often omit good internals since "no one is going to see them." But here, the interior tells most of the story.  The cobbles to the front porch are a nice detail as well.

I am curious as to what the ice pile by the mini pond is?  Is that a frozen waterfall?  If so why is there a tree growing out of it?

Thanks for the comments! The topography around here has many ridges or many small cliff faces, typical Canadian Shield, where the water seeps out creating ice "waterfalls in the winter". There is a small cave under the tree with a hibernating black bear. There are thousands of lakes and small ponds that are fed by water that seems to appear out of nowhere. 

4 hours ago, Criosphynx said:

This is stunning. Amazing job. I have gotten many ideas from this, thank you

Thanks. Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with from these ideas.

6 hours ago, Palixa And The Bricks said:

I love it :wub:

There are so many great details on the inside and outside as well.

It makes me feel 'christmassy' although it's still november and warms my heart.

Thanks! My daughter wants to start decorating our house for Christmas tomorrow, even though it is unseasonably warm here this year.

6 hours ago, spanky said:

the interior is wonderful

9 hours ago, AnkTales said:

wow, how many details!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, MassEditor said:

Really though, you have packed an amazing amount of detail in here! Love the big family doing all kinds of Christmas activities, really brings this build to life. Each room is differently and wonderfully decorated. The outdoor details, trees, ice pond and truck are all nice touches too. That house, of course, is something else. Would love to see something like this in my LUG's upcoming winter display!

Happy to bring some joy. Thanks for the comments. I have never displayed any of my creations other than online but would like to some time in the future.