30701551911_a259c042a5_z.jpg

The origins of the idea:

The core of this model consists of three rings which can independently rotate around three perpendicular axes. These pivoted rings are called gimbals. Gimbals have been used in a wide variety of engineering applications since ancient times till modern days. Gimbal suspension is used to provide stability to objects inside unstable environment, e.g. compasses on ships and gyroscopes on planes.

Furthermore, the simplicity and effectiveness of gimbals often attracted artists' attention. In science fiction and fantasy, gimbals have been used to represent complex contraptions capable of creating new physical effects and even manipulating the very fabric of reality. Some of the examples include the machine from the 1997 movie Contact, the gravity drive from the movie Event Horizon, mass relays from the video game series Mass Effect and even the Time-Turner from the movie Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

19134832260_f6a91a6c17.jpg

LEGO implementation:

The idea of this model is to set gimbals in motion. Complex transmission allows each of the three motors to independently operate one of the three rings. Therefore the contraption is very easy to control.

The rings and the frame are perfectly rigid and secure. The design of the model is intentionally minimalistic so that it could be used as a part of larger models.

30701551661_64a648063c_z.jpg

30160666104_8904dc3861_z.jpg

Video demonstration:

Simple version:

There is also a simplified version of the model with only two rotating rings and one motor. It may be also actuated by hand.

30886529776_43a44f2cb5_z.jpg

Video demonstration and speed test of this version:

Afterword:

If you like this idea, please support my project on LEGO Ideas and share it with your friends!

Thank you for your attention!

Spoiler

Spinning gyroscope returns! :wink:

Edited by sheo

Extremely nice design, I guess that the transmission of rotation to the internal rings was not very easy to implement!

Question: what is the reason behind the slow rotation? Isn't possible to accelerate it?

This is mesmerizing.... funny thing is, I just built a similar MOC.  I built a Star Wars Orrery but instead of planets I used SW Micro builds. 

I think I ran into many similar problems as your build.   As others have noticed, there is a little bit of slow speed.  However, you just had to gear your build down enough because you needed the torque to drive the model  Not much you can do because of that.  If you have followed the BuWizz thread, perhaps ordering a unit and using it may speed this puppy up a bit.  Also, I noticed a little jerkiness.  Just like my MOC in the video above.  But again, i don't think this resembles anything done wrong on your part, I just think it is a consequence of using ABS.  Backlash will exist.....and on builds like this, sometimes to an extreme degree.  That is why I am not sure builds like this (and mine) will ever become official sets, no matter how many votes they get.  Builds like this push ABS towards a limit that that can be difficult got TLG to manage.  However, personally, love the build and I will support it on LEGO Ideas.

Just some thoughts..... overall, wonderful job.  I will say that in terms of overall aesthetics, I have been following your builds for a while and I think you have one of the keener eyes for aesthetics out there......

Nikolay, wissamms, nerdsforprez, thank you!

27 minutes ago, wissamms said:

Question: what is the reason behind the slow rotation? Isn't possible to accelerate it?

The reason is the use of XL motors for maximum power and gear reduction with worm gears to protect the transmission. In other words, it's just the maximum speed that can be achieved with the XL motors. Personally I find this speed quite comfortable and useful for demonstration of the working principles. Nevertheless, I'll try to test the model with different motors in the future.

That is really amazing, Sheo!

The engineering needed for the mechanics is intricately done!  Combining separate rotations using interlinked transmissions and axles must have taken some thought to design.  It never ceases to amaze me what can be done with LEGO pieces.  I personally do not build much with Technic, but builders like yourself continue to astound me with the mechanics produced!

I love this and I want one!  I love unique ideas with Technic, and this is something I've never seen tried before.  It would have much easier to couple all the motion, but I like that you took the trouble to make them independent with differentials.

This is a beautiful piece of engineering. I love how you managed to isolate each of the three rotations.

I think i saw something comparable to this in a big technic spaceship wip moc, that got cancelled, does anybody remember it?

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

13 hours ago, Blakbird said:

It would have much easier to couple all the motion, but I like that you took the trouble to make them independent with differentials.

I've already built the simple version, so this time I wanted to fulfill its full potential.

12 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

I think i saw something comparable to this in a big technic spaceship wip moc, that got cancelled, does anybody remember it?

10 hours ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

Yeah most of us remember it. Sheo build this ship :)

I guess you are talking about this cancelled project:

27075999053_d69090b6b2_z.jpg

On 11/8/2016 at 4:50 AM, sheo said:

30857547095_0da7b6f437_z.jpg

The existence of this render means you must have an LDraw file.  Does that mean I'm going to be able to build it?

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

The existence of this render means you must have an LDraw file.  Does that mean I'm going to be able to build it?

Unfortunately I only have an LDD file.

Btw, I've tested the model with L-motors, and everything works fine. It rotates faster, but of course not insanely fast. However, I'm still more interested in adjusting the control options which I'm going to study first.

Just now, sheo said:

Unfortunately I only have an LDD file.

An LDD file still works, it is just a bit more complicated to figure out a building order.

18 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

An LDD file still works, it is just a bit more complicated to figure out a building order.

OK, I've sent you a message. :classic:

As stated before: this is LEGO art. :wub:

How did You the transmission render? Is it 2 pictures layered in photoshop? I would like to test how to make such semi-transparent "section"-views. 

1 hour ago, agrof said:

How did You the transmission render? Is it 2 pictures layered in photoshop?

You guessed right. ;)

Update:

I have made a simplified version of the model with only two rotating rings and one motor. It may be also actuated by hand.

30886529776_2daffa5e8f_z.jpg

Video demonstration and speed test: