Ayrlego

[COR - Nov FB1] Transfer of Power

After spending some time recovering from a slight wound taken during the action to take the Garvian privateer 'Black Oak', Major Dirk Allcock has returned to his duties administrating the growing Corlander settlement of Mooreton Bay. One morning, the signal cannon from Fort Denison sounded the arrival of a small Naval Brig that served the Corlander colonies in the Sea of Thieves, transporting people, mail and goods from Arlinsport. After the vessel came alongside the makeshift pier, a small party came ashore, including a somewhat familiar looking figure in the uniform of a senior Naval Officer. As the group drew closer, Dirk recognised the officer as his cousin, Matthew Allcock.

Although never particularly close, it was always nice to meet a familiar face here on what often seemed like the very edge of the world, and the two greeted each other heartedly. Matthew, 5 years older than Dirk, had been promoted since the last time they had seen each other and now held the rank of Captain, roughly that of a Colonel in the Army. He explained that he was in Mooreton Bay to take command of the captured Garvian privateer, which would be commissioned into Her Majesties Navy as HMS Royal Oak. Excitedly Matthew Allcock's attention drifted from his cousin to the frigate that stood moored in the harbour. Although repairs continued, under the watchful eyes of a master naval carpenter left by Captain Jonathon Cooke, Governor of the Southern Isles and commander of HMS Ironsides, that had eventually taken the frigate, she still made for an impressive sight, her modern lines, long gun line and dark green hull dominating the harbour.

Dragging his attention back from his new command, Matthew Allcock turned to the well dressed civilian who stood patiently at the head of a small entourage, waiting for the two military men. "Forgive me Cousin, Please allow me to introduce Mr James Hume, who has come bearing important news from the Colonial Ministry."

After the introductions were complete, Hume revealed he carried new orders for Dirk, who suggested the party retire to the building that was serving as a temporary administrative headquarters for the settlement. Matthew Allcock excused himself, and rushed to find a lighter to take him out to the Royal Oak. Dirk and James Hume continued to the headquarters, where they retired to the room serving as Dirk's office.

"Major Allcock, firstly on behalf of the Colonial ministry allow me to congratulate you on your most excellent work here in Mooreton Bay. You have served both your Queen and country well. Due to the skill at which you have demonstrated here, I come bearing orders from the ministry for an important new task for you to undertake, and a commission from the ministry formally relieving you of your duties here so that you may do so."

It was revealed that Dirk would be placed in charge of an expedition to the islands recently claimed by Corrington in the Prio Sea. The expedition would be required to conduct an initial survey of the islands, identify the best locations for initial settlements and pave the way for further expeditions and settlement. Dirk was authorised to establish an initial settlement on the Island dubbed Celestia and recommendations were being sought for the location of a military base and fort on the island known as Garma's Key. Key members of the expedition, including scientists and commercial groups interested in the claims of the extensive presence of the rare spice Vanilla on the island of Celestia, together with military re-enforcements  were due to arrive in Mooreton Bay shortly. Major Allcock was instructed to conduct a handover of his duties in Mooreton Bay to James Hume, who would take over as Mayor of Mooreton Bay.

For Dirk the news was bittersweet. Mooreton Bay had been his project, he had been allowed great freedoms in developing it, and he felt deeply invested in the settlements success. However a new commission, into uncharted territories, full of wonders to be explored, excited Dirk greatly. Not to mention rumours of the unique flora and fauna of Corrington's latest processions.

Two weeks later, with the handover complete and the expedition almost ready to depart, Major Allcock formally handed over administration of the settlement to James Hume, in a ceremony in that included many of the leading figures of the settlement.

30799682925_a3c7096a30_c.jpg

----

A small build mostly for story advancement purposes. I didn't quite realise how many named characters I had in Mooreton Bay until I had to assemble them for this build! Most made it in!

Soon Dirk will depart for the Prio Sea, (He is planning on taking a small detour via Stormhaven first!), to formally claim procession of the Corlander Islands there for the Queen, and establish a new settlement. Unfortunately however, the story will not continue until towards the end of the month, as I am now away from my bricks for a short while :pir-hmpf:

I will be by no means abandoning Mooreton Bay - development will continue! In fact I will be licensing this build as a small residence!

Edited by Ayrlego

Very nice build Ayrlego, the floor looks great as do those arches over the windows! :thumbup:

Nice looking interior! Interesting development as well, looking forward to Dirks future adventures. I'm sure he'll discover some beautiful places

Very nice interior. I had never considered those part pieces for above the windows. Great job. I look forward to the expedition and hope to join you in exploration.

Lovely interior! I would not have thought of using those arch pieces for an interior window, but they look great. And I have to try that floor technique sometime.

Godspeed to Dirk on his new adventures in the Prio Seas!

It is a great interior build and I love the fact you have a recurring town person cast you're using.  And, as sacrilegious as it might be, I enjoyed the story as much as the Lego. 

Thank you everybody! The arches over the window were inspired by Puvel's scribe building in Arlinsport, I had never seen them used for a interior before that.

On 08/11/2016 at 6:37 AM, Puvel said:

Nice looking interior! Interesting development as well, looking forward to Dirks future adventures. I'm sure he'll discover some beautiful places

Thank you! As above I took inspiration from your scribe building in Arlinsport!

On 08/11/2016 at 7:42 AM, Kwatchi said:

It is a great interior build and I love the fact you have a recurring town person cast you're using.  And, as sacrilegious as it might be, I enjoyed the story as much as the Lego. 

Thanks, I always worry with builds like this that the story will be too long and potentially boring!

Great story and build, Ayrlego - and a sat of very nice figures. I can't quite make out all of them, but at least I recognised some! :pir-grin:

The highlight to me is your wall texturing, though. I have to ask - you have bricks protruding a bit in places - Am I right in assuming those are tiles pushed in just a little bit? Or are they really jumper plates?

It will be interesting to follow Mooreton Bay under a new leader, but more so to see what adventures the Prio Seas will lay before Allcock!1

Thanks Bregir,

21 hours ago, Bregir said:

I have to ask - you have bricks protruding a bit in places - Am I right in assuming those are tiles pushed in just a little bit? Or are they really jumper plates?

Yep, they are mostly 1x2 dark tan tiles without the stud in the bottom, that way you can slide them so they only protrude a little bit. I've also used some white hinge plates so that the rounded hinge piece protrudes a bit.