Sign in to follow this  
Legofin2012

AoM: Frostgate, Gatehouse phase II; Pt. 1.3

A build for AoM: Defence Gatehouse Phase II, and also my character story:

30182531823_7716737638_z.jpg

After over two months on being pulled across the ice on a rather uncomfortable sled, the smell of smoke filled my nostrils, we must be approaching our destination. A village, this far North? In the meantime the ropes tying me to the sled have loosened, if there's a time to escape, it's now.

I freed my arms and leaped from the sled, removing the bag from my head and grabbing the sword before crumbling to the stone ground: turns out not walking for over two months, and eating only minimal food and water takes its toll on the body. My legs immediately gave way, but before falling and passing out I caught a glimpse of those around me, one was like the barbarians who attacked me in my room two months ago, the other if I wasn't suffering from hallucinations, was a large man with the head and arms of a wolf... It also seemed like my sled was part of a convoy, I can't be the only kidnapped Mitgardian. Who knows where they're taking me now.

30817542685_21efe641fd_z.jpg

-Nearly a year later:

Thomas to the crow - Tell Demm we've found it, far into the Frozen Beyond. Show them where it is, we need back-up as soon as possible, send the Northern guardsmen. Fly with haste.

The crow squawked before flying off, as Thomas and two rangers scaled the wooden walls.

30185666434_50dcdaf751_z.jpg

-Thanks for looking!

Edited by Legofin2012

I love this gate! The part that really sells it, to me, is the curved wood over the doors, combined with the excellent stonework. The heads set on spears are great, too. I also like how you made the path, though still snow-covered, look different from the rest by using 1-stud width tiles instead of other white pieces, creating the illusion of wheel tracks.

My one bit of critique is just that your camera work is always a bit dark, making it hard to see the delightful details. I have no suggestions for fixing it, since I am not much better, but that is where the build could use the most improvement. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Lovely gate! Those curved wooden sections are perfect :wub: I think the irregular base is one of your best yet too :thumbup:

And an interesting addition to your story :classic:

awesome gate! I've said it before, and will say it again: that base is superb! The gate is very nice as well, with the two stond pillars next to it

Lovely gate! I think you absolutely nailed the mixture of plain brown and brown with stickers. Good stuff!

Edited by The Architect

As SK said the curved wood looks fantastic!  I also really like the light grey stone built up over the dark grey rock, and your snowscape is very nice as well!

Great build! I like how you put the irregular base on the border, and the combination of woodwork is just awesome. There is a perfect balance of stickered brown tiles and normal brown tiles, as said before

Fantastic work! The overall scene here just comes together so perfectly, from the curved wooden sections, to the defensive spears, to the smoke in the background. It all fits together to create a really imposing and impressive looking entrance!

On 6 November 2016 at 0:49 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I love this gate! The part that really sells it, to me, is the curved wood over the doors, combined with the excellent stonework. The heads set on spears are great, too. I also like how you made the path, though still snow-covered, look different from the rest by using 1-stud width tiles instead of other white pieces, creating the illusion of wheel tracks.

My one bit of critique is just that your camera work is always a bit dark, making it hard to see the delightful details. I have no suggestions for fixing it, since I am not much better, but that is where the build could use the most improvement. 

Thank you, and yes, I'm only just starting to get to grips with photography, but I'm using a borrowed camera and I'd prefer not to fiddle with the settings too much, but photos always seem to come out too bright or too dark :sceptic: But something I'm definitely trying to improve, as I feel photography can be a very important part of the build :classic:

19 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Lovely gate! Those curved wooden sections are perfect :wub: I think the irregular base is one of your best yet too :thumbup:

And an interesting addition to your story :classic:

Thank you, the base was built slightly differently to my other builds, as I used a baseplate under the whole build, and built over that :classic:

14 hours ago, TitusV said:

awesome gate! I've said it before, and will say it again: that base is superb! The gate is very nice as well, with the two stond pillars next to it

Thanks, definitely not planning on ditching the base design any time soon :grin:

12 hours ago, The Architect said:

Lovely gate! I think you absolutely nailed the mixture of plain brown and brown with stickers. Good stuff!

Although that's probably due to having very limited tiles with stickers, I'm glad it worked out, thanks!

10 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

As SK said the curved wood looks fantastic!  I also really like the light grey stone built up over the dark grey rock, and your snowscape is very nice as well!

Thank you, the curved wood parts were inspired but images I found of reconstructed Viking villages :sweet:

9 hours ago, dathil said:

Great build! I like how you put the irregular base on the border, and the combination of woodwork is just awesome. There is a perfect balance of stickered brown tiles and normal brown tiles, as said before

Thank you, I wasn't sure about the wood, as it uses the prefab wooden log wall pieces, but glad it works :sweet:

8 hours ago, LordDan said:

Fantastic work! The overall scene here just comes together so perfectly, from the curved wooden sections, to the defensive spears, to the smoke in the background. It all fits together to create a really imposing and impressive looking entrance!

Thanks, I found the barbaric village look rather hard to capture, a bit of research had to be done, so happy it payed off :grin:

Wow, this is a nice gate, Legofin!

The snow is particularly good!  The wooden gate is fantastic with the wood arches over top and palisade on either side.  I agree with the balance you incorporated with stickered tiles and plain tile for the wood.  The stonework is well incorporated, and I also like the spears sticking out of the wall base.

awesome evolution from Phase I !

and whoa, two months on that sled?! I can't wait to read what happens next!

6 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Wow, this is a nice gate, Legofin!

The snow is particularly good!  The wooden gate is fantastic with the wood arches over top and palisade on either side.  I agree with the balance you incorporated with stickered tiles and plain tile for the wood.  The stonework is well incorporated, and I also like the spears sticking out of the wall base.

Thank you, the spears seemed like a realistic detail of a real barbaric village :classic:

1 hour ago, en_zoo said:

awesome evolution from Phase I !

and whoa, two months on that sled?! I can't wait to read what happens next!

Thanks, the Frozen Beyond is a vaste and unforgiving wasteland, not easily crossed by foot, and I also need to make this story line last over the two past years :grin:

This is really a great moc! The snow effect you have achieved, the wooden wall and all the other details you have! 

No pic of the other side? =)

On 9 November 2016 at 8:14 AM, Blufiji said:

Great blend of a regular/irregular base and I'm loving that sledge!

Thank you, I made the mistake of disassembling the sled in between builds and having to find all the parts again for this :grin:

On 9 November 2016 at 11:51 AM, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Amazing build! It almost looks like you have used two canoues on the sides of the gate.

Thanks, they could be, maybe I'll even use that bit for the front of a boat now you mention it :wink:

2 hours ago, de Gothia said:

This is really a great moc! The snow effect you have achieved, the wooden wall and all the other details you have! 

No pic of the other side? =)

Thank you, and unfortunately not, most of my builds could be compared to movie sets, only what is seen is built mostly due to part restrictions :sceptic: Not to mention this build is no more, needed to make space for phase III :grin:

Wicked build LegoFin, Gives off the real barbaric feel. I was about to use almost the exact same wall design in my upcoming moc :tongue: Great minds think alike. awesome build, this story is getting really interesting and cannot wait for the next segment .

13 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Wicked build LegoFin, Gives off the real barbaric feel. I was about to use almost the exact same wall design in my upcoming moc :tongue: Great minds think alike. awesome build, this story is getting really interesting and cannot wait for the next segment .

Thank you, and oops, the stone/wood combination? :look: But I guess they do :wink: Glad people enjoy the story, the next part depends on how long phase III takes, as it's connected to the story, but not part of the storyline :classic:

Fabulous phase 2 build :thumbup: The foundation of stone underneath the wooden walls looks great, and the boulders on either side of the gate are nice.
Excellent story too :classic:

Awesome job! This is great! The rockwork/angled walls are great! But, I don't quite understand the brown arches at the top, or the small tan 1 x 1 cones and studs on the wooden walls... Anyways, great build! Keep it up!

4 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Fabulous phase 2 build :thumbup: The foundation of stone underneath the wooden walls looks great, and the boulders on either side of the gate are nice.
Excellent story too :classic:

Thank you, the story should be continued in the next month or so :classic:

2 hours ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

Awesome job! This is great! The rockwork/angled walls are great! But, I don't quite understand the brown arches at the top, or the small tan 1 x 1 cones and studs on the wooden walls... Anyways, great build! Keep it up!

Thanks, the brown arches are mostly decorative, inspired but viking villages. And the wall is (supposedly) made of wooden logs, so the tan parts would represent the lighter color of wood under the bark :wink: