Murdoch17

Modular railroad trestle (Lattice Girder + Truss hybrid bridge)

I took two bridge designs (lattice girder and truss) and combined them. I know it isn't realistic, but the design is the best I could come up with. However, the truss part is removable via Technic pins, so it can become more viable for display at shows or home layout use.

30664769432_0a7bdd2f52_z.jpg

Here is the bridge with the top trusses on.

30745059196_62f37b3da6_z.jpg

The bridge with the top trusses removed. The 18 Technic holes could be used for decoration of some sort.

30745058766_e95c167a01_z.jpg

The two ramps (which are included in the LDD file) use two-thirds of a brick every 16 studs over three track-lengths to make the gap from base-plate level to full bridge height.

30745058846_8b8279bf5b_z.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: Their is a height restriction for the bridge with the top attached if you use the Maersk double-stack train cars or anything taller than set 10014 (My Own Train - Caboose). The bridge will simply not fit anything taller without modifications.  (The train car is NOT included in the LDD file!)

9470007126_a2d5b52e57_z.jpg

Here is my original inspiration for the bridge, courtesy of Flickr user Fireglo450: lattice girder bridge on Flickr

The Lego Digital Designer file for my model is here: LDD file This bridge will be built in real life sometime around January 2017.

Comments, Questions, & complaints are welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice bridge.

I like it without the top trusses. That looks really nice. However with the top trusses I don't. The centre support kind of ruins it. Also the trusses stick out a bit to the sides with those technic beams. Perhaps you could raise the end supports (The Dark-blueish grey roof bricks) so they coincide with the trusses.

Edited by Man with a hat

10 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

Nice bridge.

I like it without the top trusses. That looks really nice. However with the top trusses I don't. The centre support kind of ruins it. Also the trusses stick out a bit to the sides with those technic beams. Perhaps you could raise the end supports (The Dark-blueish grey roof bricks) so they coincide with the trusses.

I have modified the LDD file to remove the middle pillar and raise the support sides to truss level. The LDD file and pictures above have been changed to reflect your suggestions. Thanks Man with a hat, as it looks a ton better now! :thumbup: 

That was quick. And it looks much better indeed.

I forgot to tell I like the top structure connecting the truss elements. That looks really nice.

Great looking bridge and a great solution to joining the two sections of scaffold/"frame" (55767) together. 

I have a similar style bridge at home (nowhere near as detailed) and had all sorts of issues trying to join the pieces together in a sturdy way, without looking silly (I ended up using some Technic pins joined by some 2x4 tiles).

On 11/7/2016 at 0:47 PM, Man with a hat said:

That was quick. And it looks much better indeed.

I forgot to tell I like the top structure connecting the truss elements. That looks really nice.

Thanks. I was working on changing it from before you posted, but your ideas guided me.

19 hours ago, Younge said:

Great looking bridge and a great solution to joining the two sections of scaffold/"frame" (55767) together. 

I have a similar style bridge at home (nowhere near as detailed) and had all sorts of issues trying to join the pieces together in a sturdy way, without looking silly (I ended up using some Technic pins joined by some 2x4 tiles).

I worked on getting those truss parts together for 10 years before i came up with this, ever since the part was introduced. Please post pictures of your bridge!

6 hours ago, pyro690 said:

Updated looks much better! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you!

As a special treat here is a new pic:

30860609075_1bf67d1b94_z.jpg

This is the bridge with my Emerald Express passenger train on it as seen in this topic here. I have the train built in real life, and am working on getting the bridge built.

On 11/8/2016 at 8:58 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Thanks. I was working on changing it from before you posted, but your ideas guided me.

I worked on getting those truss parts together for 10 years before i came up with this, ever since the part was introduced. Please post pictures of your bridge!

Thank you!

As a special treat here is a new pic:

30860609075_1bf67d1b94_z.jpg

This is the bridge with my Emerald Express passenger train on it as seen in this topic here. I have the train built in real life, and am working on getting the bridge built.

Can you share the LDD file again? your MOCPages link is expired.

1 hour ago, McDiesel92 said:

Can you share the LDD file again? your MOCPages link is expired.

Sorry, but I can't find the file @McDiesel92. I don't remember what I called it amongst my hundreds of files.