Lord Valgor

Long Term Sail Storage (advice, tips, and tricks?)

Hey Guys,

I searched around on these forums but didn't find anything on this topic, so I figured I would ask in hopes that some of you have some really good advice for future ladies and gents (as well as myself).

I am curious how all of you store your lego sails long term. I have the Imperial Flagships (6271 & 10210) and QAR which both use the thinner crisper type fabric, and currently I store them in a ziplock bag (not sealed) at the bottom of a large book. I recently took them out for a special Halloween display, and they felt a bit moist (I don't close the ziplock bag because I am afraid that they will mold). Originally I wanted to ask if you think I should throw some silica gel packets in with the sails, and whether then to close or open the bag, but instead I figured why not open this up for discussion.

So, I am curious how you guys store your lego sails, and what you would recommend overall as best practice.

Some other questions I have:
- Do the IF and QAR sails require differences in storage due to their difference in composition?
- Do you guys keep your sails on display usually, or in storage? If on display, how do you prevent or clean off dust?

PS- I feel like I remember seeing a thread that had to do with cleaning sails, but I can't find it. Can someone point me to it? It may have some relevant information on this topic too :).

I stored my QAR sails flat in a cardboard box for a over a year before I found a use for them.  If you live in a rainy area or by the sea or store in a damp basement, it would be worthwhile to protect them from moisture and prevent mold spores from landing on the sail surface. Mold needs moisture to grow along with temperature above freezing and a food source like cotton fabric,wood, paper, etc.  QAR sails feel like coated fabric.

The moisture is something natural if you keep them in a plastic bag and the humidity is high. However, you shouldn't be worried about the sails, they are maybe the last Lego piece you should worry. Perhaps, would be better to close the zip lock, and there will be created a sealed environment where theoretically should be impossible to be moisture. If that zip bag is well done, even if you throw it underwater, the environment shouldn't get any moisture.

Otherwise, is something natural to be moisture, if you put your hand inside of a plastic bag you'll notice sweat and the same thing may happen with the sails. What I do recommend, is to keep them inside of a paper envelope so the cloth could breathe and of course keep it in an environment with normal humidity, not the house basement or attic.

The best way to prevent the dust while exposed would be to keep the Lego inside of an acrylic box. Otherwise, it just depends of how clean is the environment.

They are cloth, so I would store them in a dark and dry place. In a cupboard or a wardrobe. I follow the simple rule of thumb that I wont store them anywhere where I wont want to be by myself. I would not put them into an airtight plastic bag, just in case any humidity has been left on the sails themselves or inside the bag. 

Thank you posting these tips, I am rebuilding some 1990's pirate sets and needed a guide to store the sails. Cheers - ClassicBricks

Even though you came to a conclusion in some time ago I can say this for the Lego brand sails from the 90s mine were stored in open Rubbermaid drawers for over 15 years untouched in a temp controlled spare room...  They then made a journey in a U-Haul trailer and spent another year in a non temp controlled but dry shed.  I simply took them out of the bins and put them on the ship after rebuilding it earlier this year...  Now mind you they could use a good ironing but they did not mold nor tarnish in the 16 years of storage without any sort of for lack of a better word...  Care.   Anything to keep them flat should do the trick...  If moisture is an issue silica would help your ziplock but only if you seal it.