Bob De Quatre

Future of AG - It's feedback time!

@Jody Meyer, that would be great!  I think when AG2 officially arrives and the Aliens get their own page, known Aliens should be added with a brief summary on them.  Unless there is an AG wiki page where they could be added similar to Heroica.  This would also be beneficial for players looking to play for the Aliens and have some options for races to choose from. :classic:

AG already have an alien register in the travellers-guide-to-andromeda, feel free to add any aliens you create. I was planing to flesh out the aliens Narbilu created early in the game, maybe you could use one of them? I'm looking forward to reading your ideas. Maybe for AG2 we could have a wiki but with Bob's nice player index and timeline there might be little  use for it.

And if you get tired of waiting on AG2 to start you could introduse some aliens now. I'll check with Bob if we could impliment the aliens stealing resources thing in the current game (and make anyone with Alien communication immune :wink: )

Edited by EpsilonEta

@EpsilonEta, the Aliens I have in mind have not been used yet except for the face of one and the description for that one is not what I personally would have gone with.  I mentioned the Wiki because I used it for Heroica to create a race, the Wakorians, and go very in-depth with it.  It is something I personally enjoy.

I suppose it would be nice to see more of an Alien presence before AG2 where they become more unified and organized.  Currently I am in the process of ordering the things I need so it might take a week or two for me to get up a build.

I've used various alien races during my time in AG and I do wish I could have more wholly fleshed them out. I think the need to bounce around to different planets made it more challenging. I probably painted myself into a corner some by localizing them instead of having them be part of a galaxy-wide entity. Hopefully in AG2 I can learn from my mistakes in AG1 and also build better. :look:

One of the things about AG1 that made story telling a challenge was simply the fact that a player must keep creating new things.

So as an explorer, I was required to create new alien flora or fauna each build to get the tag.  As a result, I created so many aliens that I don't actually remember them all.  I'd really prefer to not have to codify each alien species, since that would require a lot of extra "paper work" for each entry.  I find this particularly burdensome, as this sort of thing is part of the BoBS pirates game, which I already participate in infrequently, partly because of the over-complicated mechanics.  (I want to state here that I REALLY REALLY LIKE AG1'S POST AND FORGET FORMAT FOR THE PLAYERS.  No forms.  Just post.  I like it.)

Having to build new things constantly also creates a story continuity challenge for AG1.  When we created large ships for our crew as part of a Challenge, I took extra "stock spaceship footage" photos of the Mojito Madness, thinking that I would use them to set up each story, like in Star Trek, where you would see the Enterprise orbit a planet at the start of each episode.  But if I was building a new spaceship each week, there was no point to have my crew constantly flying around in the Mojito Madness.  So I ditched that idea and just used Dr. Long's Axle whenever the crew needed a base of operations.

Now, I understand that the point of a LEGO game is to build new things.  But imagine how the story would be if in Star Trek the crew had a new spaceship every week.  I don't have an answer here, but I thought I would throw this out there.

Back to the topic of aliens, I'm all for codifying them...if someone else does it.

I wonder if we could figure out a way to recycle parts of the build since like pombe I struggle with continuity when I have to build new buildings, vehicles, ships, etc. each week. It makes it really hard to have someone be at the same place but you can't make it look too similar or you get no points. Maybe have it count in some way for like DP but not resources or you can re-use it up to X times. Something like that makes it nice for telling a story that is multiweek without it looking kinda disjointed.

So... in AG 2 would there perhaps, maybe, if nobody bothers.. be the chance of a possibility to actually play as an alien? If necessary at least as alliance of a corporation? So that it would not count as actual alien builds but as part of the corporation's domination points? 

@pombe @Kodan Black I understand what you're saying, but let's say one week you build a nice spaceship and a building for which you'll get a 4. The following week you use in your story the exact same nice spaceship and building and you just change the dialogues... do you expect to also get a 4?

@Jacob Nion I think that yes, alien could join a corporation in AG2

1 hour ago, Bob De Quatre said:

@pombe @Kodan Black I understand what you're saying, but let's say one week you build a nice spaceship and a building for which you'll get a 4. The following week you use in your story the exact same nice spaceship and building and you just change the dialogues... do you expect to also get a 4?

No, definitely not. But maybe by recycling it you get some +1 bonus for having established it or something. It just feels like the incentive to build big isn't there as much if you get one 6 out of it or build small and keep getting 3 or 4s. I don't think you should keep getting the major benefit of it each week, but maybe some story continuity bonus or something. Even a sliding scale that if you recycle a 6-7 scored ship it scores out at a 2 the next week. A 4-5 scores out at a 1 the next week. Anything 4 and below scores a 0. So that a 6 this week gets me 2pts next week and 0 after. Something like that which would let people have a story that arcs over a period but isn't forcing them into all new ships each week which kinda makes no sense.

2 hours ago, Kodan Black said:

No, definitely not. But maybe by recycling it you get some +1 bonus for having established it or something. It just feels like the incentive to build big isn't there as much if you get one 6 out of it or build small and keep getting 3 or 4s. I don't think you should keep getting the major benefit of it each week, but maybe some story continuity bonus or something. Even a sliding scale that if you recycle a 6-7 scored ship it scores out at a 2 the next week. A 4-5 scores out at a 1 the next week. Anything 4 and below scores a 0. So that a 6 this week gets me 2pts next week and 0 after. Something like that which would let people have a story that arcs over a period but isn't forcing them into all new ships each week which kinda makes no sense.

We already have plans for an exponential reward so better builds should be properly rewarded the first time. We also mean to limit publication so you can't (or don't have to) post every week. I think that's a better way and of course there is noting stooping you from reusing old builds (you just don't get anything for it). I remember Pombe used the same briefing room a lot in the beginning and I even made the hoverbike from "scouting land and sea" digital in "the discovery" for the story alone.
I think the biggest problem now is that we all are tiered but don't want to quit so we make the lest amount of work to get our points. Basically, the game have gone on for too long and we need a break (and some new rules) Which we are getting soon.

Edited by EpsilonEta

Yeah, as much as I want to be in AG2, I think a couple months off would refresh me. I'm getting my builds done and most weeks have inspiration, but there are weeks I'm trying very hard to come up with something. Plus I still have about 15-20 boxed sets to open and build that I haven't had time for. Luckily they are hidden in the closet mostly so my wife hasn't noticed. :look:

11 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

15-20 boxed set not built ?

How did you make this possible ?

Sorting.

I see a set I like.  I buy it.  Then I set it aside, because I don't have time to sort the bricks right at that moment.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Then, at some point, you are staring at dozens of unopened sets dreading the fact that you have to sort over 10,000 bricks.

Then, after enough of this, you give up and just buy all your LEGOs from BrickLink, because all the bricks come pre-sorted.

1 hour ago, pombe said:

Sorting.

I see a set I like.  I buy it.  Then I set it aside, because I don't have time to sort the bricks right at that moment.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Then, at some point, you are staring at dozens of unopened sets dreading the fact that you have to sort over 10,000 bricks.

Then, after enough of this, you give up and just buy all your LEGOs from BrickLink, because all the bricks come pre-sorted.

I've been there. Bricklink loves me now. My Lego store has seen less of me though.

I would like, that job specialities are earned like in Lands of Roawia:

GUILD-SPECIFIC TASKS

Each Guild requires certain challenges to be completed in order to gain membership or advance in rank.
The building challenges for each guild are listed below. Each challenge should feature your in-game character, as he/she is the one who is learning the way of the guild, and he/she is the one who is earning the right to display the guild heraldry on his/her banner. It may seem strange to have a Knight who's in the Merchants Guild, or an Orc who's in the Heroes Guild, but really it just adds to the fun and the challenge!
Each building challenge must be separate from the other. You may not combine objectives into the same MOC, nor may you use a MOC from other LCC challenges as a guild entry. You should include a short story that explains the MOC and your character's development with each build.
Lastly, as with any MOC, you must make sure that your builds have plenty of thought and effort put into them. This is about proving your skill, not racing to complete the tasks. For this reason, only two submissions will be accepted per month unless you have received special permission from the Guildmaster.

To reward you for your efforts, you will also earn personal status points for each challenge you complete.
Apprentice Challenges: 1 point each
Journeyman Challenges: 3 points each
Master Challenges: 5 points each

The building challenges for each guild are as follows:

HEROES GUILD
Apprentice –3 MOCs:
1) Your hero preparing to leave his home.
2) Your hero on an adventure in a foreign land (another faction's territory).
3) Your hero saving someone from a small group of bandits.
Journeyman – 3 MOCs:
1) Your hero overcoming insurmountable odds.
2) Your hero slaying a monster.
3) Your hero finding a hidden treasure.
Master – 3 MOCS:
1) Your hero presenting the treasure and slain beast to the king
2) Your hero in his new bigger home/castle with his newfound wealth
3) Your hero training a young lad/lass in the ways of a hero.

MASONS GUILD
Apprentice – 3 MOCs that show the construction process of a stone building, showing the stages of planning the foundation/construction/finished project (each MOC depicts one stage of the same structure).
Journeyman – 3 MOCS:
1) Build a castle or other stone structure with a secret passage.
2) Build a bridge that spans at least 20 studs in a single span.
3) Build a structure using a curved surface (round tower, curved wall, arched ceiling). The curved part should be the emphasis of the MOC.
Master – 3 MOCs:
1) Build a castle with an outer wall, an inner wall, and a keep.
2) Build a cathedral with flying buttresses.
3) Build a Guild hall worthy of housing the greatest masons in the land.

MERCHANTS GUILD
Apprentice –3 MOCs:
1) Your merchant with his trading cart/ship/means of transporting goods.
2) Your merchant acquiring his wares.
3) Your merchant travelling through difficult conditions (snow storm, rough seas, endless desert, etc).
Journeyman – 3 MOCs:
1) Defending your caravan/fleet from outlaws/thieves.
2) Your merchant trading in a foreign land.
3) Encountering a competitor.
Master – 3 MOCs:
1) Smuggling some sort of contraband out of or into a secure area.
2) Dealing with a trade gone wrong.
3) Showing your wealth acquired as a result of your trading career.

MAGES GUILD
Apprentice –3 MOCs:
1) Your mage/wizard discovering his magic ability.
2) Your mage at his place of training (could be a secret hideout or hidden room. Remember that magic is generally frowned upon!)
3) Your Mage succeeding at a magic feat!
Journeyman –3 MOCs:
1) Evading detection by those who hate magic.
2) Capturing/training a “familiar.”
3) Using magic for either good or evil. (choose wisely!)
Master – 3 MOCs:
1) Use magic to manipulate someone who holds a position of power.
2) Use magic to destroy your foes OR to save your friends.
3) Ultimate showdown/battle vs. a rival sorcerer OR epic monster.

ASSASSINS GUILD
Apprentice - 3 MOCs:
1) Show your character develop a reason to kill someone (vengeance, dispute, etc.)
2) Your character attempting to kill the above target, but failing and escaping without anyone knowing your identity.
3) Your character being approached in the night by a cloaked figure and offered a chance to join the assassin's guild.
Journeyman - 3 MOCs:
1) Your character being trained in the ways of an assassin.
2) Your character putting new skills to use to set up his target (infiltration, reconnaissance, stealth, cunning, etc.)
3) Your character eliminating said target (the more creative the better!)
Master - 3 MOCs:
1) Your character taking out a high-level target.
2) Your character narrowly escaping capture.
3) Your character is the target of a fellow assassin. You must foil his attempt and assassinate the assassin! (the more creative the better!)

NAVAL GUILD:
Apprentice - 3 MOCs:
1) Show your character and crew building or acquiring a ship (whether it be a pirate band, outlaw group, army faction, merchant crew, etc)
2) Your character learning navigation techniques, such as reading the stars, using a compass, and cartography.
3) Show your vessel doing its daily task- this is where people can show what kind of ship they have and whether its being used as a military, merchant, etc. vessel.
Journeyman - 3 MOCs:
1) Dockside meeting with leader to take on a commission (will encourage dock/port building vs just ship with seascape)
2) Your vessel weathering a severe storm, or encountering enemies at sea (some vessels may be renowned for speed over power)
3) Your crew completing the commission
Master - 3 MOCs:
1) Your crew getting paid for completion and obtaining another vessel(s)
2) Encountering sea monster(s) (doesn't have to only be serpents or larger animals- could be evil/dangerous mermaids, whirlpools, etc. mainly an uncontrollable danger)
3) Your character's fleet facing off against an enemy fleet (or more organized enemy)

EXPLORER'S GUILD:
Apprentice - 3 MOCs:
1) Your character learning about a lost artifact or treasure
2) Your character on their solo quest in a dungeon or remote land/sea searching for the object
3) Your character discovering the object of your quest
Journeyman - 3 MOCs:
1) Your character exploring an underground lair, crypt, or network of tunnels with hidden dangers
2) Your character exploring a region populated by another race (can be dwarves, orcs, elves, etc.)
3)Your character exploring a foreign land (any faction territory other than your own)
Master - 3 MOCs:
1) Your character leading a cartographer/expedition into an uncharted part of Roawia (land or sea) to map your findings
2) Your character building/discovering a secret hideaway to stash their fortune/goods/ or other valuable materials
3) Your character using the first object they discovered to unlock an ancient, hidden treasure (can be gold/wealth, knowledge, weapons, new location, etc.)

@Brickwolf, that would be pretty neat to see in AG2, just not sure how it would be adjusted for this game as there really are no heroes or merchants.  Don't get me wrong, I am totally for it and I think it would be a great system.  A system like that would definitely define player characters and make them special rather than just some cannon fodder out doing some task or nonsense. 

Periodically in our secret Octan thread we talk about stuff like Droneuary and Novvember and trying to get people to build for that. One thing that might be kinda cool with the new every 2 week format is to have a "challenge" each month like those and if you post a build during the month that meets that theme you get credits or something. It might also help inspire some building and could be a fun source of competition that also may be something that people were already building for.

On 03/11/2016 at 3:34 PM, Bob De Quatre said:

In addition to challenges, we will have mini-challenges with simple rules that will give extra resources and credits if your weekly builds meet the rules

:sweet:

So... how close is Octan to winning? I'm wondering how many weeks I have to finish my story.

I hope you guys take less then a month to spin back up, I don't know what I'm going to build in the downtime.

Edited by Mesabi

There's not many weeks left... But even after the end of AG1, you'll still be able to post your builds here if you want to finish your story :wink: