Sign in to follow this  
droomangroup

[MOC] 1966 Ford Thunderbird

Here's my stab at a 1966 Ford Thunderbird, aka the car Thelma and Louis drove off a cliff :)

0XK8Zr1h.jpg

I wish there were grilled 1x2 cheese slopes, but for now i went smooth and made a crude thunderbird logo decal. my favorite move on the grill was the used of 1x2 to 1x4 brackets  to create the thin grill area under the lights like the real car.

aARrCCHh.jpg

my other favorite move is the use of hinges to tilt back the windshield for a more realistic slope...

20QTvHKh.jpg

really happy with the tail lights although i had to cheat a bit here and cut that grey bar down a hair since 3m bar was too long and there's no 1x1 round transparent plates w/ holes yet...

cTPlQWXh.jpg

i originally started out with the same wheels as the ghostbusters car, but realized i wouldn't be about to do side skirts on the rear wheels with those, but it was a good problem because i like these wheels a lot more...

24Bjp08h.jpg

view of the inside, pretty simple. the seat backs are clamped onto a 6M bar on the floor...

5bwz8KJh.jpg

all in all i'm pretty happy with it. I tried using the new pointy tile wedge to give the t-bird hood scoop look, but it was too blocky and the current hood was better for structural integrity anyway. Since the point of this was to make a Thelma and Louise car, i would have rather done it in a lighter blue, but given parts availability i had to stick with straight blue and just lighten it up in my Thelma and Louis photoshoot...

gfX9VCgh.jpg?1

The final shot. note, that this is the actual spot that Thelma and Louise drove off into the Colorado river in the movie -- however they were not in the Grand Canyon like they said, they were in Moab, Utah :)

There are quite a few nice ideas in here, shaping is very well done - the model quite resembles the original which is not that easy with this type of car. On the other hand the scale is quite huge (about 1:30, if I'm correct) which may lead to some difficulties when combining it with other vehicles or buildings. But well, that depends on the surrounding. 

Regarding the design my only point is the placing of the windscreen which in my opinion should be set one stud back. On your model the front of the windscreen matches the wheel well whereas on the original car it sits far behind. Hopefully that was understandable ... :wink:

Anyway nice job! :thumbup:

6 hours ago, ER0L said:

There are quite a few nice ideas in here, shaping is very well done - the model quite resembles the original which is not that easy with this type of car. On the other hand the scale is quite huge (about 1:30, if I'm correct) which may lead to some difficulties when combining it with other vehicles or buildings. But well, that depends on the surrounding. 

Regarding the design my only point is the placing of the windscreen which in my opinion should be set one stud back. On your model the front of the windscreen matches the wheel well whereas on the original car it sits far behind. Hopefully that was understandable ... :wink:

Anyway nice job! :thumbup:

solid critique for sure. my main objective was to use this for the thelma and louise photoshoot, so scale wasn't as much as a priority. I was mainly thinking along the lines of the ghostbuster car, but like the smaller wheels on this car more than the ghostbuster car. i actually agree on the windshield and even played with that while designing, but went with what i have mainly because of the hood piece and not wanting too much of a gap between it and the wind shield and it would have cramped everything back from the windshield since structurally i was limited on how far back i could move the back seat. 

Do you have instructions for that T-bird?  My grandpa has a 55 t-bird and I want to build him a lego model, but I am having a hard time building from scratch.  

Thanx!

Cobalt