dream-in-bricks

[MOC] TIE Interceptor proportions study... 11 months later

Earlier this year y'all gave some good feedback on my TIE interceptor MOC

I finally gotten around to addressing the pylon and wing stability issues.  And thanks to your feedback below I painted the windscreen piece to blend into the cockpit.

TIE interceptor windscreen and port side

30733259382_552756e34a_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108145384@N05/30733259382/in/album-72157675914045466/

30813172646_4bfe3ced38_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108145384@N05/30813172646/in/album-72157675914045466/

More photos on Flickr (including earlier posts) https://www.flickr.com/photos/108145384@N05/albums/72157675914045466/

Edited by dream-in-bricks
posting new pictures

I love it! You just gave me awesome ideas to MOD my Interceptor, thanks!

Do you have any LDD file? Thanks!

Edited by LaPasnaille

I love the back end of this- I think that's the hardest part to recreate in LEGO. The next time I order bricks I think I'll do a similar thing to my Interceptor!

Have you considered painting the cockpit (bucp?) piece? I think it would improve this a lot. At the moment, the nice shaping you have created is overshadowed by the square-ness of that piece 

12 hours ago, atlas said:

Have you considered painting the cockpit (bucp?) piece? I think it would improve this a lot. At the moment, the nice shaping you have created is overshadowed by the square-ness of that piece 

That's an excellent idea!  I was wondering how Jerac achieved that effect in SFS TIE/ln starfighter.  So you think it's paint?  It looks nice.

I want to reuse this brick for TIEs of different colors without ruining the brick.  Non-toxic would be nice too, because it's a toy and I have kids who would want to touch.  I've painted resin models with Testor but that stuff was permanent and quite toxic.

Have anyone tried children's washable paint on Lego?

Edited by dream_in_bricks

11 hours ago, dream_in_bricks said:

That's an excellent idea!  I was wondering how Jerac achieved that effect in SFS TIE/ln starfighter.  So you think it's paint?  It looks nice.

It looks like that is the cockpit hatch used the older TIE fighter sets. The more rescent ones, like the Inquisitors prototype, have a new design one that looks great too!

18 hours ago, dream_in_bricks said:

No way is that paint.  It's far too detailed and precise.

On 4 November 2016 at 4:37 AM, dream_in_bricks said:

I want to reuse this brick for TIEs of different colors without ruining the brick.  Non-toxic would be nice too, because it's a toy and I have kids who would want to touch.  I've painted resin models with Testor but that stuff was permanent and quite toxic.

Have anyone tried children's washable paint on Lego?

Not sure about how you would do it but I think it's paint. It looks like all visible parts of the piece are painted except for the printed cockpit glass. I'm not completely sure but I would be surprised if it was something else. 

I'm a very amateur modeller/painter/whatever but when I paint lego, I just use my dads modelling paint. At the moment I'm painting the White/royal blue livery onto Plo koon's delta-7 from episode 3. Initially I tried using stickers but then i realised how ridiculous it was to be cutting stickers to go around and on top of individual studs, so I went with paint. It's looking pretty nice so far, the colours I've got aren't exactly a match for the Lego plastics once applied and dried, but they blend in well. I don't have to worry about kids or anything so I'm not sure how you would take that into consideration. 

When ive messed up a section of paint on a Lego piece, I find that just using alcohol swabs will get it all off without much hassle (I use those things for just about everything and they never fail me ). As long as you are reasonably precise I've found that it doesn't seem to affect printing on Lego parts much either.

On 11/4/2016 at 5:42 PM, atlas said:

I'm a very amateur modeller/painter/whatever but when I paint lego, I just use my dads modelling paint. At the moment I'm painting the White/royal blue livery onto Plo koon's delta-7 from episode 3. Initially I tried using stickers but then i realised how ridiculous it was to be cutting stickers to go around and on top of individual studs, so I went with paint. It's looking pretty nice so far, the colours I've got aren't exactly a match for the Lego plastics once applied and dried, but they blend in well. I don't have to worry about kids or anything so I'm not sure how you would take that into consideration. 

Thanks, atlas, for the encouragement.  My kid and I used Crayola washable paint kit for this task.  After 4 layers of dark bluish gray and 1 layer of white with a tinge of pink, the result is not bad:

30813170626_5c1828b8e3_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108145384@N05/30813170626/in/album-72157675914045466/

Before vs After
30629454631_289e0db626_n.jpg30733259382_552756e34a_n.jpg

Though not as glossy as Jerac's version, the cockpit ball is so much better with windscreen painted.  I like it so much, I've updated the whole post above.  More photos in Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/108145384@N05/albums/72157675914045466

Edited by dream-in-bricks

On 11/3/2016 at 9:38 PM, timehoopin said:

It looks like that is the cockpit hatch used the older TIE fighter sets. The more rescent ones, like the Inquisitors prototype, have a new design one that looks great too!

Good point!  Likely you mean the TIE Advance Prototype or the First Order TIE Fighter where the front and the top dishes are shaped the same, but with different prints.  I haven't gotten my hands on either of those sets yet, but when I do I'll surely experiment with it.  The challenge will be to avoid the hinge interrupting the bottom of the cockpit.  I managed to avoid that by using the older TIE windscreen (in exchange for a pair of misplaced chin-mounted canons).  When I get a newer TIE sets we'll have to compare!

On 11/5/2016 at 11:22 PM, timehoopin said:

Check out part 3960px4 on bricklink. I think that's the piece in Jerac's fighter.

I do have this piece but I'm saving it for a smaller TIE MOC I'm working on.  For this model I'll need something like part 44375apb03 on bricklink.  At $30 per one of those, I think I will grab a black marker and try my best.

On 11/7/2016 at 9:13 PM, dream-in-bricks said:

When I get a newer TIE sets we'll have to compare!

Definitely! I'll have to post some pics of mine when I get a chance. Mine is not my own design so I'm hoping to add more unique touches to it.