E444-044

Hi everyone, this is the second MOC for my project of Italian locomotives that will affect the period from 1930 to 2015.

It's time for the sinuous E444, also called "Tartaruga" that means "Turtle" for its rounded shapes, in exercise from 1967.

e444-001.jpg

e444-002.jpg

After seeing the beautiful model made by Helos http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/61979-moc-e444-the-turtle-electric-fs-locomotive/ I've made my own replica with some minus differences like the air intakes on the sides and other pieces not previously available in blue.

This locomotive became the official engine of the “Gran Confort” coaches

e444-003.jpg

e444-004.jpg

As usual I made this model employing the PF system, using the IR receiver in upside down position and realizing my usual lights :classic:

e444-028.jpg

e444-030.jpg

e444-029.jpg

e444-010.jpg

e444-012.jpg

Enjoy the pictures... :sweet:

e444-005.jpg

e444-006.jpg

e444-007.jpg

e444-008.jpg

e444-009.jpg

e444-011.jpg

e444-013.jpg

e444-014.jpg

e444-015.jpg

e444-016.jpg

e444-017.jpg

e444-018.jpg

e444-020.jpg

e444-021.jpg

e444-022.jpg

e444-023.jpg

e444-024.jpg

e444-025.jpg

e444-026.jpg

e444-027.jpg

Now what's next?

e444-031.jpg

...stay tuned! :wink:

Very nice, and, at the same time, concise and very detailed locomotive. The cars are worthy of respect separately. Excellent passages with width of 6 to 7 in many places. The signal receiver is very well disguised. Overall impression of the model is only positive. This perfect combination of model and, in fact, the very style of Lego trains.
Especially I want to note the excellent smooth and rounded shape of the locomotive. Nice to look at it from all sides.
And thanks for the history of the country in the locomotive building your Lego beautiful presentation.

Again, you’ve created a beautiful train MOC! :thumbup: Always amazing how much functionality you manage to squeeze into your models.
I love the design of the front skirting below the buffer beam. And that little turtle sticker… :wub:

As I might want to copy your (clever!) idea to hide the IR-receiver upside down: May I ask how well it is working in that position?

And I hope that you don’t mind if I make one suggestion: Looking at the prototype photos, I found it a bit unsatisfactory that your model has a one-piece front window, so I messed around a bit with LDD and came to this solution for the front end:

500x360.jpg

(lxf here)
It might look a bit wobbly, but I tried out and it’s actually quite stable.

Edited by Tenderlok

Oh my God, I have my own E444 moc ready on the shelve and I cannot present it because i missed one piece from my bricklink order and to-day you published your. Well, i am a very unlucky man. Anyway your Loco is beautifull as ever and your passenger coaches too.

Very nice job on the train.  Looks great.  Funny, they are called turtles when they have a top speed of 200 km/h.  :classic:

What's next?   Maybe an E444R?

On 1/11/2016 at 1:05 PM, Nemo57 said:

The signal receiver is very well disguised

22 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

(clever!) idea to hide the IR-receiver upside down: May I ask how well it is working in that position?

And I hope that you don’t mind if I make one suggestion: Looking at the prototype photos, I found it a bit unsatisfactory that your model has a one-piece front window, so I messed around a bit with LDD and came to this solution for the front end:

500x360.jpg

Thanks Nemo 57 and Tenderlok the IR receiver works surprisingly well. Tenderlok thanks for the hint but a prefer to apply a sticker to split the windscreen (like the effect of the Horizon Express)

18 hours ago, Ex cinno said:

Oh my God, I have my own E444 moc ready on the shelve and I cannot present it because i missed one piece from my bricklink order and to-day you published your. Well, i am a very unlucky man. Anyway your Loco is beautifull as ever and your passenger coaches too.

Not a problem Ex Cinno, my E444 is a replica so we'll be glad to see a new interpretation of the same locomotive!

17 hours ago, MaxSupercars said:

Lovely shapes.

17 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Very nice job on the train.  Looks great.

9 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Sleek train and an interesting design for the pantographs. I like it :thumbup:

Thanks to you all! :blush:

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Tenderlok thanks for the hint but a prefer to apply a sticker to split the windscreen

I didn't dare to propose that, in order not to offend the purists... :wink:

One more question (well, two, actually): Do I have it right that the motor is powered by the 9V block battery, while the AAs (AAAs?) feed the lights? If so, how long does the 9V block last when the train is running?

Thanks for your patience with me asking such things!

You're always welcome Tenderlok :classic: ...about the question the 9 volts battery feed just the lights; as you can see in the seventh picture I use n. 6 batteries AAA to power the motor.

In any case it's possible to use the 9 volts battery but just for little shunter because the power last fast 

kof-20.jpg

Thanks for the immediate reply!

20 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

the 9 volts battery feed just the lights; as you can see in the seventh picture I use n. 6 batteries AAA to power the motor.

Oh... I thought it were only 3 AAAs. Seems as if I need new glasses... :hmpf_bad:

That Köf is also very cute! :wub:

Nice, very nice!

Some clever techniques for the front of the locomitive and the front buffer. I like that. And those passengers cars look really great as well.

This is a quality build. Nice building techniques and smooth transition from 6 to 7wide near the windscreen. I'll use this as a source of inspiration for a couple of future projects of mine. Tenderlok's suggestion for brickbuilt windscreen was equally interesting, but all respect that you keep your own design.

Edited by Selander

How does the bottom mounted IR receiver work out? Does it work flawlessly or do you have to keep the remote a bit lower for it to work? Quite a nifty idea to hide that ugly receiver window.

Nevermind... this has been answered before, Thanks LT12V. Maybe I should refresh the page before commenting :grin:

Edited by Capparezza

12 hours ago, Selander said:

Nice building techniques and smooth transition from 6 to 7wide near the windscreen. I'll use this as a source of inspiration for a couple of future projects of mine.

This technique is not mine ...I have just copied :sceptic: so feel free to take your inspiration ...like me! :grin:

12 hours ago, Capparezza said:

How does the bottom mounted IR receiver work out?

It works fine! I suggest this solution as often is possible! :wink:

Well my dear friend, nice to see again this reproduction and some enthusiasts who appreciate it and share interesting suggestions.

I think for the next step the Gran Confort coaches might be increased in lenght up to 56 studs and a more updated solution for the on board devices low cowling. For  the turtle some studs more and might be checked the proposed new windshield and front

I'm longingly waiting for TLG prints this in dark blue

2877.png

so this loco might be built in DB, a  more proper color . We pretend that this loco in Lego standard blue is a weathered version.

Great model, interesting prototype (I'm learning a lot about real trains across the world just by reading this forum...)

On 6/11/2016 at 7:24 PM, helos said:

I'm longingly waiting for TLG prints this in dark blue

2877.png

so this loco might be built in DB, a  more proper color . We pretend that this loco in Lego standard blue is a weathered version.

I think it could happen soon ...but I like the standard blue color! :wink:
30 minutes ago, Asper said:

Great model, interesting prototype (I'm learning a lot about real trains across the world just by reading this forum...)

Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad for you! :classic:

On 11/1/2016 at 3:58 PM, Tenderlok said:

500x360.jpg

I feel like this would work best if there were blue under the windows.

4 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

I feel like this would work best if there were blue under the windows.

This is what I originally intended, but the brackets don't exist in blue.