Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

Victory and Vengeance [Book II, Chapter V: Prelude, Part II]

Lord Raavage entered the castle like a tempest. He made his way to the command room, pushing his way through the Black Spire solidiers who rose to salute him. Throughout the halls could be heard the victory celebrations of drunken soldiers. Until yesterday the castle had belonged to the Nocturnian Resistance. Located near the Mitgardian border, Mortag Keep served as a convenient staging point for foreign troops assisting the resistance. It had long been a thorn in Raavage's side and he was glad to have it in his hands.

Raavage listened in on a soldier who retold the story of Mortag Keep's capture to a group of reserve troops who had missed out.

"So, we snuck up to the castle in the boats, all quiet like, while their soldiers were still sound asleep in their beds. They hadn't expected anyone coming from the swamp, the road was the only thing the sentries had their eyes on."

29990094893_e40524b45d_z.jpg

The soldier took a long pull from his drink.

"We gathered in the woods, wondering what to do next. Then up came one of Lord Raavage's wizards. He carried about some jar filled with black powder, placed it at the base of the wall, spoke a few words under his breath and told us to run."

30587748966_7e058e8c4d_z.jpg

"Good thing we did, aye! Next thing we know the jar explodes and there's a hole in the wall. We rushed in and took the whole damn place before they knew what happened.

30535764311_3003da2544_z.jpg

When we found the commander he was still trying to put his trousers on! The rest of the survivors we rounded up and sent off to Lord Raavage's slave camps."

30575114022_0a5020cc49_z.jpg

It was a tactical victory, no doubt. Until word of Mortag Keep's fall spread, Raavage's forces could launch ambushes on any enemy troops who thought it was still in friendly hands. Foreign troops wishing to aid the resistance would have to enter Nocturnus along a more difficult route.

Yet this victory was worth much more - more than anyone knew, save Lord Raavage himself. The inhabitants of Mortag Keep, a motley array of Resistance fighters, had discovered a map hidden in the nearby caves which led to something only a few knew existed - an ancient artifact so powerful that Raavage hungered for its possession. With such power, Raavage reminded himself, Nocturnus will fall into my hands, and then all of Historica."

The thought of such power caused Raavage to salivate. He wanted the map in his hands, now. Raavage entered the room and interrupted the soldier's story.

"To your feet! The Black Spire celebrates your victory here, but drunkenness and laziness on duty are punishable by death. You will return to your posts at once or else you will find yourselves hanging from the trees outside!"

The soldiers rushed to their feet and hurried to their posts. Raavage stopped one of the troops.

"Soldier, where is your commanding officer? I must speak to him immediately."

The soldier stammered, obviously frightened by the Black Lord's presence.

"Ssss…irrr…, he is upstairs, in the private quarters."

Raavage turned and stormed towards the fort commander's room. Inside were several Black Spire officers, including General Azuk, who had commanded the force which captured Mortag Keep. A bandage on his right arm betrayed a grievous wound.

30323927000_db4b8beb20_z.jpg

"Azuk, congratulations, good work, well done and all that, but where is the map? I must have it now. I travelled a great distance to be here and I will not wait a moment longer."

Several officers looked at each other with grave expressions, and then left the room. Only Azuk, Raavage and two of his Royal Guards remained. Azuk looked at his hand and then Raavage.

30623815935_e21ab673be_z.jpg

"Lord Raavage, the map has been lost. A Resistance spy broke in last night and took the map, along with my hand. She was killed, but another agent was able to retrieve the map. We lost track of him in the swamps."

A great fury took over Raavage, like a storm ready to destroy all in its way. He began to shake and froth at the mouth.

"What to you mean, LOST THE MAP? To a Resistance SPY? You bumbling, incompetent, ungracious fool! You disgusting, treacherous lout! Anyone could have taken this lousy fort - I tasked you with recovering the map and this is the news you share?"

29990100483_e447947ccf_z.jpg

Azuk backed up, cowering.

"M'lord, there was nothing I could do! I will recover the map, please spare me! She took my hand, have I not suffered enough?"

30506991212_7cd0e2d750_z.jpg

Raavage's lips twisted into a crooked smile.

"You do not know the meaning of suffering, not yet. I should exterminate you where you stand, but that would be the easy way out."

Raavage turned to his Royal Guard and gestured towards Azuk.

"Take his other hand. Then his eyes and tongue. I want him kept alive. When you are done with him, throw him into the mine pits where he will repay his betrayal to our cause!"

Azuk fell before Raavage to no avail. His pleas could be heard throughout the fort as the guards carried him away.

30506948702_3b717d462b_z.jpg

Raavage smashed his fist on the commander's table. The crash echoed through the halls like an explosion.

"Dammit! I am surrounded by fools and traitors! I will find this rebel spy and tear him to pieces. Then I will take back what is mine and then all of Nocturnus shall lay at my feet!"

29990061763_3387f07302_z.jpg

(And some pics of Mortag Keep. I tried incorporating more shots of the castle itself into the story, but after the forest collapsed several times, I was tired of messing with it! 

29917371546_d9eca15490_z.jpg

29324336854_aed8eb6209_z.jpg

29657852460_a6ff0de8d2_z.jpg

i had seen this awesome castle on Flickr, but not yet the superb story going with IT! Great job!

The lbey rockwork must be the best I've seen in years

Very nice fortress, ME!

The stone tiling and round tower are superbly done!  The trees (especially with fall-colored foliage) are very nice.  My favorite element is definitely the rockwork with the path and waterfall spilling over the border of the build!  It looks so realistic!  The door and arch with windows above looks great as well.  Are the spearpoints over the door some form of portcullis? 

Olive green makes such a nice foliage color, especially how you utilize it in your builds!

Looking forward to more, ME!

Beautiful! I had seen that castle before on Flickr, but it looks just as good now. So many wonderful details. The story, too, is fun to read and also nicely illustrated. I can hardly wait to see what comes next! Though I have to say that I'm hoping that spy makes it away to safety...

You definitely know how to set the stage for the challenge. The build is still as impressive as ever. 

Exciting story! Beautifully 'bricked' and photographed as well! :wub:

Hmm, now I know what I should have brought with the pumpkin pie to make Raavage happy... :wink:

as I said on Flickr, this is just gorgeous. full stop.

as for the story, I'm just excited - can't wait to see what happens next!

Great story and builds to illustrate it with! Can't wait to read more :classic:

Stunning build! The olive green against light bley rocks and a dark brown path really pop together :thumbup: Gorgeous castle, and the autumn trees are also quite lovely.

Great to see Challenge V get going :classic:

All the colours of the build work perfectly to create a simply stunning castle and surroundings :wub: Looking forward to seeing what comes next and hopefully taking part if there's anything to build for it :sweet:

My god this is fabulous, the story and the moc is so well captured in the photos you can really immerse into it.
Definitely  one of the best on GoH lately. I am so pumped out as everyone else for the last chapter.
Keep them coming. :moar:

On October 31, 2016 at 0:29 PM, Slegengr said:

Very nice fortress, ME!

The stone tiling and round tower are superbly done!  The trees (especially with fall-colored foliage) are very nice.  My favorite element is definitely the rockwork with the path and waterfall spilling over the border of the build!  It looks so realistic!  The door and arch with windows above looks great as well.  Are the spearpoints over the door some form of portcullis? 

Olive green makes such a nice foliage color, especially how you utilize it in your builds!

Looking forward to more, ME!

Thanks for the comments everyone! Most importantly, thanks for your excitement for this Chapter!

On November 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Gideon said:

Great story and builds to illustrate it with! Can't wait to read more :classic:

Thanks Gideon, good to see you!

On November 2, 2016 at 6:52 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Stunning build! The olive green against light bley rocks and a dark brown path really pop together :thumbup: Gorgeous castle, and the autumn trees are also quite lovely.

Great to see Challenge V get going :classic:

Thanks SK, I feel in love with olive green while building this MOC. The dark brown and olive green seem to go really well together. 

19 hours ago, Niku said:

My god this is fabulous, the story and the moc is so well captured in the photos you can really immerse into it.
Definitely  one of the best on GoH lately. I am so pumped out as everyone else for the last chapter.
Keep them coming. :moar:

Hey Niku, thanks so much! Glad to hear you're excited to see this Chapter!

Wonderful castle ME and awesome landscaping! Excellent story too, although those guys being sent to the slave camps probably aren't enjoying it as much as I am!