Anyone looking forward to getting their hands on the new Nintendo Switch?

I'd say it's a very ingenious device with detachable controllers!

Nintendo Switch in my opinion looks like it will be the second best video game console after the amazing 3DS. I have high hopes for it; just hope it's not too expensive and its success is more akin to the Wii (or at least the 3DS). 

I think it looks super cool, and I'm not even much of a gamer. I think I might have to get it.

On 10/30/2016 at 9:26 AM, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Nintendo Switch in my opinion looks like it will be the second best video game console after the amazing 3DS. I have high hopes for it; just hope it's not too expensive and its success is more akin to the Wii (or at least the 3DS). 

I heard it's gonna be around $200-250 USD.

On the fence. 

Has it been confirmed yet if it is region free? If it is not then I am out. 

Also if it is still 32g internal memory I am out. 

Same if it has scant 3rd party support. I love me the first party games but there is more to gaming than that. 

Basically they need to get this right for me to hop back on to their brand. Watching Youtube via the console would be nice, digital downloads and no region lock outs would be killer. Backwards compatibility is a must too. A huge internal storage space should be mandated internally, 32g in 2017 would just be beyond sad. And tons of third party games would be a huge plus. Common Nintendo! You can do it!

22 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

On the fence. 

Has it been confirmed yet if it is region free? If it is not then I am out. 

Also if it is still 32g internal memory I am out. 

Same if it has scant 3rd party support. I love me the first party games but there is more to gaming than that. 

Basically they need to get this right for me to hop back on to their brand. Watching Youtube via the console would be nice, digital downloads and no region lock outs would be killer. Backwards compatibility is a must too. A huge internal storage space should be mandated internally, 32g in 2017 would just be beyond sad. And tons of third party games would be a huge plus. Common Nintendo! You can do it!

All the things you want are good things, but Backwards compatibility isn't possible for physical games. (No room for a disc)

Edited by Umbra-Manis

1 hour ago, Umbra-Manis said:

All the things you want are good things, but Backwards compatibility isn't possible for physical games. (No room for a disc)

If they emulate in some way older games and try not to flagrantly double dip to play those on their new console I could live with that but all my other conditions have to be met. I am sure I am not alone in that sentiment either. 

Nintendo's gotta have to pull one heck of a add campaign to sell this. Do I even need to mention third party? 

They lost most of the support from the people that bought a Wii-U, with only a handfull of good games ( Smash, Mario Kart, Splatoon, WindWaker and Bayonetta 2 and a few more ) that don't really entice buying a console to play them. 

I had fun with my Wii-U, yes, but what a let-down...

Get great third party support, make an awesome add campaign = great sales. 

17 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

Nintendo's gotta have to pull one heck of a add campaign to sell this. Do I even need to mention third party?

Third parties have been unprecedentedly vocal in advocating for the Switch.

It's very clear that their being vocal is Nintendo trying to prove their worth, yes, but actually getting to see the kind of backing they have from the get go is astounding.

To put it simply, Ubisoft head Yves Guillemot, vocally spoke of his disdain for Nintendo just a year ago. Now he's praising Nintendo for their innovation (lest we forget the very evident partnership that they've made for the sake of money. Hopefully that's beside the point).

Anyone watched the console's stream?

I was relieved that Zelda would launch on release (the game looks great, but let's hope the outworld has side quests, other wise it's gonna be a bland ), they revealed a lot of RPG support and Mario odyssey looks quite nice.

But overall... what's on launch day other than Zelda? I know it's a VERY far reaching game audience wise but is it enough? I would have liked to see some blue thight pants and some loud nasty music, also Metroid? 

I love Nintendo and will buy a Switch but I don't see anything amazing about the system. I don't actually care that it's KIND OF portable. In fact I think that's the worst thing about it because it's only KIND OF. It's too big to truly be portable. It's battery sucks too much to truly be portable. It's performance like halves when in portable mode. 

I like how it's region free.

The 32gig memory is a problem but you can always buy a 256gig one. So it's not that much of a problem. I want to buy all my games digitally these days.

The launch title is Zelda. Nothing else matters. It's probably the worst launch in a long time. No Smash Bros. No big hit until Mario Odyssey which looks great, but isn't until later in the year.

Nintendo consoles are the only consoles I buy though. Even if I do play 1 game a year on them. I PC game mostly because almost all the games on the Xbox and Playstation end up there anyways.

On 14/01/2017 at 10:24 AM, BrickG said:

I love Nintendo and will buy a Switch but I don't see anything amazing about the system. I don't actually care that it's KIND OF portable. In fact I think that's the worst thing about it because it's only KIND OF. It's too big to truly be portable. It's battery sucks too much to truly be portable. It's performance like halves when in portable mode. 

I like how it's region free.

The 32gig memory is a problem but you can always buy a 256gig one. So it's not that much of a problem. I want to buy all my games digitally these days.

The launch title is Zelda. Nothing else matters. It's probably the worst launch in a long time. No Smash Bros. No big hit until Mario Odyssey which looks great, but isn't until later in the year.

Nintendo consoles are the only consoles I buy though. Even if I do play 1 game a year on them. I PC game mostly because almost all the games on the Xbox and Playstation end up there anyways.

The worst launch in a long time? Nintendo consoles always had very few games on launch to begin with, both PS4 and Xbone were atrocious on launch.

It's not superb but heck I'll take Zelda on launch 

12 minutes ago, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

When/if will dimesions come to the switch also how would that work ?

Never and it won't

42 minutes ago, just2good said:

Never and it won't

You can't say that for sure. Skylanders Imaginators is and they're incorporating a digital library that allows players to take the toy content on the go once they've scanned the toy in (the toys aren't needed on the go as they're stored in the library). 

7 hours ago, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

When/if will dimesions come to the switch also how would that work ?

USB drive port is within the dock (there's a door).

Also, TT has been incredibly quiet as to the next waves of the game, which gives me concern, like a last-few-months-of-Disney-Infinity concerned.

Assuming Dimensions has more years ahead of it I wouldn't doubt it would go to the Switch later.

The Switch seems kind of interesting? I'm not really sold on it, personally, though a pretty good friend of mine decided to pre-order it so I'll see what his opinions are with the system and the available titles as its life goes on. Mostly, I heard of a Fire Emblem title which would be fun, even if I'd be too nervous to take the portable side of this thing out anywhere... and I tend to play games like FE on a DS/3DS anyhow. I'm interested to see what all goes to it, since there were a lot of games that seem to have the possibility to be adapted for it. 

On 16/01/2017 at 2:10 AM, Penkid11 said:

USB drive port is within the dock (there's a door).

Skylanders uses the NFC reader on the right Joy Con rather than a portal:

Skip to 4:43.

I believe that after Imaginators there are no planned Skylanders sequel: Super Chargers was very dissapointing sales wise and the only reason Imaginators got released is the amount already invested in the development.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-specs-confirmed/1100-6446904/

If those are really the locked down final specs I am for sure out. 

Looks like I will have to wait for a later iteration of this console or wait out this cycle altogether to see if the house of N can lure me back. 

Still I hope it does very well with their target audience. 

Edited by Japanbuilder

6 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-specs-confirmed/1100-6446904/

If those are really the locked down final specs I am for sure out. 

Looks like I will have to wait for a later iteration of this console or wait out this cycle altogether to see if the house of N can lure me back. 

Still I hope it does very well with their target audience. 

I couldn't care less about specs personally. I'd rather have a console that does something new than just the same as the PS4.

11 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I couldn't care less about specs personally. I'd rather have a console that does something new than just the same as the PS4.

I am not sure I follow exactly what you mean by "new," nothing this console is doing is "new." If we talk about an online Nintendo Store, Netflix or other such services again none of those are "new" each console has version of that going on for it now as well as most tablets and smartphones.

Docking portable devices to play on larger screens and taking them off a dock for use on the go is a technology that has been around since the late 90s. 

In addition the specs on this device tell you the capabilities of the console. Most tablets and phones out today do tons more than this thing based on that alone. Wireless controls have also been around for a long time now (decades in fact) starting with the simple RC for TVs. Gating online content also not new. The internal memory spec tells you the games are going to have small save data files or the games are themselves small in size which also tells you a bit about what to expect. 

As I said, I hope it goes well for them, just personally I will hold out for something after the vanilla version.