Sign in to follow this  
BusterHaus

[TC10] Dancing Clone Trooper

[TC10] Dancing Clone Trooper

Description

I made a dancing Clone Trooper.  The strings are moved by pneumatic cylinders, which are controlled by a custom joystick.  Controls:

• Each leg up/down, independent
  • Each arm left/right, independent
  • Both arms up/down

Powered by two L motors, driving two small compressors.  Two air tanks are incorporated to make the controls more responsive.

The video shows much more than any description ever will.

Video

Pictures

tc10_02_clone_trooper.jpg

tc10_01_whole_view.jpg

tc10_04_controller.jpg

tc10_03_controller.jpg

Edited by BusterHaus
Added pictures.

Wow, that contest really sparks the creativity out here! I don't even know what to say about the model. For sure it is complex Technic build, but the subject gives you no chance to take it seriously. Incredible work!

One of my first builds back from my dark ages was a SW creation with pneumatics.  

14421763721_SPLASH.jpg

Naturally, this build is going to rank high on my list on candidates   :classic:

Thank you for the nice replies, they are very appreciated.  I got the idea for this project at least a year ago, but I was planning to make it with Mindstorms.  When the TC10 contest was announced, I figured it was a good opportunity to actually build it. I wasn't sure if the pneumatic version was going to be completed before the contest deadline, which is why I didn't post a WIP topic sooner.  

Most of the time was spent developing the cylider-powered control sticks, making sure that the range if motion was just right and that the different motions didn't interfere with each other.  

The other time consuming process was the development of the "joystick".  It needed to be resistant to quick changes in orientation and had to control 5 different movements.  The top layer has a controller for the sideways movement of each arm, the middle layer controls the up/down motion, one foot at a time and the lowest layer controls the raising and lowering of both arms. Controlling the marionette takes a bit of practice,   but the learning curve was much shorter than I expected.