NathanR

[MOD] 10134 UCS Y-Wing refresh

I just did a schwack of BL orders for this based on NathanR's LXF file, substituting the motorcycle wheel option for the engine vanes (I also bought LBG versions of the UCS wheel rims for those that I may paint white & compare). I combined that wanted list with the parts I needed to build RenegadeClone/Krispy/ScottishDave's dark red B-Wing MOC from this thread - I've been itching to build that for a while too (I got a DBG wheel rather than light grey for behind the cockpit - too many $$s for one of those!).

On top of the parts I had already (about 60% each), it took 8 orders. I added some spares for MODs to my TIE fleet and haven't tried to split it all up to do a cost breakdown. :sceptic: Anyway, let's focus on the Y-Wing!  

I did have to make a few cost-based substitutions for this one though, even based on NathanR's great model - I tweaked the design requiring the 8x 4L DBG lightsaber blades to replace them with 4x 6.6L DBG bars with stop instead - shortens that greebly feature a little (like by 1.4L :wink:), but it's not visually a concern from how it looked in LDD. Those 4L DBG bars are insanely expensive! I stuck with Orange for the 2540 plates & associated other parts.

Now comes the waiting... :hmpf_bad: :grin:

Edited by manglegrat

On 10/11/2016 at 3:39 AM, manglegrat said:

I did have to make a few cost-based substitutions for this one though, even based on NathanR's great model - I tweaked the design requiring the 8x 4L DBG lightsaber blades to replace them with 4x 6.6L DBG bars with stop instead - shortens that greebly feature a little (like by 1.4L :wink:), but it's not visually a concern from how it looked in LDD.

Ouch, I can't think how I missed that :wacko:.  The 4L bars haven't been made in Dark bluish grey for around 10 years, I guess I must have muddled it with the black ones when I looked on Lego bricks and pieces.  Thanks for letting me know, I've just edited and re-uploaded all the models (LDD, LDraw and mecabricks).  

07 YWing Bar Correction.JPG 

This is just a hasty fix, though I'm thinking of adjust the greebling a bit further - it looks a little odd to me at the moment, and I think if I squash the detailing in a little it will better disguise the fact that the whole length of tubing has been shortened.

Did you do any other changes?

I've also had a few ideas for lightening the weight of the brick built engine nacelles, but it still works out heavier than the original.  Got to wait for some parts to arrive before I can try them out though...

Edited by NathanR
Photobucket sucks

5 hours ago, NathanR said:

Ouch, I can't think how I missed that :wacko:.  The 4L bars haven't been made in Dark bluish grey for around 10 years, I guess I must have muddled it with the black ones when I looked on Lego bricks and pieces.  Thanks for letting me know, I've just edited and re-uploaded all the models (LDD, LDraw and mecabricks).  

No worries! It's an easy thing to miss one outlier amongst the other 1500+ parts! :grin: Particularly one that doesn't obviously seem like it should be rare.

This is just a hasty fix, though I'm thinking of adjust the greebling a bit further - it looks a little odd to me at the moment, and I think if I squash the detailing in a little it will better disguise the fact that the whole length of tubing has been shortened.

I did something slightly different, adding a couple of 1x2 tiles, removing one of the clips and shuffling the grilles up into the gap left up-front:

30604072440_65c436c221_o.png

I haven't tried any other tweaks to it - more clips in the middle section and short tiles in-between the new clips might be a better look in-the-brick. Some experimenting may be required! :wink:

Did you do any other changes?

You did such a great job I had to change nothing else, except for the motorcycle-wheels I substituted:

30269029503_236af6ecdb_o.png

Because there are two wheels, it may actually be a bit too heavy as well, so that's why I have the original wheels on order in LBG and will be able to compare the effects of both options (plus trying just a single M/C wheel) in-the-brick, before I decide whether to go with them but paint them white.

I've also had a few ideas for lightening the weight of the brick built engine nacelles, but it still works out heavier than the original.  Got to wait for some parts to arrive before I can try them out though...

Ooh! Interested in seeing how those work out! :thumbup:

It'll be a few weeks until all the parts come in (some coming from Europe), but I'll post up pics once the beastie is built. :classic:

Can't wait to build this.  I had problems with the files, but I was able to open the file in LDD and export it from there into bricklink that finally worked!

Edited by Dukeside

On 11/11/2016 at 0:32 AM, manglegrat said:

I did something slightly different, adding a couple of 1x2 tiles, removing one of the clips and shuffling the grilles up into the gap left up-front:

That's a really nice touch, I think I'll have to update my plans to match :classic:.

On 11/11/2016 at 0:32 AM, manglegrat said:

Ooh! Interested in seeing how those work out! :thumbup:

Yep, I can't wait to try out some of the nacelles in real life and so how they bear up to the weight.  It's interesting actually, the original wheel 32077 weighs 12.1g, but the stack of 2x motorcycle wheels 2903 weighs a total of 24.7g. My best shot at a brick built nacelle is this, which comes in at just 20g:

Alternate_Nacelle_Draft_View_zpslbfpaqvs

Though I'm not sure how solid it will be, it loos pretty fragile.  Guess I'll find out in a week or so when my parts show up :classic:

4 hours ago, NathanR said:

That's a really nice touch, I think I'll have to update my plans to match :classic:.

Thanks! :blush: 

Yep, I can't wait to try out some of the nacelles in real life and so how they bear up to the weight.  It's interesting actually, the original wheel 32077 weighs 12.1g, but the stack of 2x motorcycle wheels 2903 weighs a total of 24.7g.

Wow, I never checked the actual weights, but it makes sense with twice the amount of ABS involved. Definitely interesting! I'm sure I read or saw someone had one with two of 'em stacked. I'll give it a go and see if I suffer from nacelle droop or not. :grin:

My best shot at a brick built nacelle is this, which comes in at just 20g:

<snip>

Though I'm not sure how solid it will be, it loos pretty fragile.  Guess I'll find out in a week or so when my parts show up :classic:

Nice! You won't be swooshing this, right? :laugh: So as long as it holds together under its own weight, you're probably good to go! :thumbup:

I got a few of the orange handles, way too bright. Anybody else? I'm thinking of reddish brown handle/grille, but the hassle are $1 usd each. Anybody else have a thought?

I decided for 1 motorcycle rim. But was thinking of curved slopes attached to the rim...

Just that and top bar lengths are my only issues... you used light saber for all the bars?

I will post some pics soon.

Edited by broomhandle

14 hours ago, manglegrat said:

Wow, I never checked the actual weights, but it makes sense with twice the amount of ABS involved. Definitely interesting! I'm sure I read or saw someone had one with two of 'em stacked. I'll give it a go and see if I suffer from nacelle droop or not. :grin:

You might not get as much nacelle droop as on the original actually.  The pin connectors covering the axles are a lot thicker and more rigid than the 7mm ribbed hoses, so they should help stop the axles flexing.

14 hours ago, manglegrat said:

Nice! You won't be swooshing this, right? :laugh: 

Of course! That's what Lego spaceships are for! :grin:

4 hours ago, broomhandle said:

I got a few of the orange handles, way too bright. Anybody else? I'm thinking of reddish brown handle/grille, but the hassle are $1 usd each. Anybody else have a thought?

There are two 1x2 plates with handles, 2540 and 48336, which only come in a handful of colours.  If orange 2540 is too bright, maybe consider 48336 in pearl gold?  The only other colours for these parts that are easy to get are light or dark bluish grey.  Failing that, I just found 32028 Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Door Rail which might be an excellent choice, you can get them in dark tan or reddish brown. If you want to get even closer to the original,then this part was also made in dark orange and can still be bought for around 0.30USD each.

I decided for 1 motorcycle rim. But was thinking of curved slopes attached to the rim...

Really? How can you attached curved slopes to the bicycle wheel? I thought the only attachment point was for a tyre.

Just that and top bar lengths are my only issues... you used light saber for all the bars?

The bars are a mix.  The 8L copper hose got replaced with 2x  4L lightsaber bars.  The 6L copper hoses got replaced with 63965 Bar 6L with stop ring.  On the engine pylons, I'd go with manglegrat's suggestion pictured above and use 2x 63965 6L bars to replace the long dark grey hoses.

I will post some pics soon.

Brilliant, can't wait to see them! :sweet:

I have having a hard time finding mod plate in RB

2540.png

I had an idea of using mod brick:

11211.png

with a RB 15573 attached.

15573.png

it might look weird though...

thoughts?

Yep, the 2540 in reddish brown hasn't been made for about 5 years.  Your idea might work.

Maybe 32028 1x2 plate with rail? You can get that in reddish brown (though it is slightly cheaper from Lego Bricks and Pieces).  You can even get it in dark orange for a closer match to the original.

Cool, I got 4 of these used:

2540.png

and the rest i will do jumpers... i think it will look ok.

maybe someday lego will release new colors. is there a site that tells what new colors or parts are out for each new year?

Finally got all the parts in (I messed up a couple of lots and missed them completely so had to do a second round), and have finally built this lovely rendition of the UCS Y-Wing in the brick! :grin:

Swooshy angle (probably the best shot I took):

31377919701_0331704617_o.jpg

I got the stickers from an Aussie eBay seller - they're really good quality and I'm very happy with them.

Greebly midsection:

31347489602_a8f5c65069_o.jpg

Side-shot, showing the double-wheel tips of the vanes - the angle of the photo makes it look like there's some droop but I haven't noticed any droopage in-the-brick from a number of different angles:

31456358636_6b12c10c90_o.jpg 

This was a fun project and is a great model that I'm totally in love with at the moment... :wub: 

Thanks again, NathanR! :thumbup::thumbup:

On November 4, 2016 at 0:22 AM, NathanR said:

Ooh, please post some photos when you've finished building it!  I haven't had a chance to buy the bricks for this myself yet, so I'm restricted to CGI renders for now. :look:

The original dark orange handle bricks added a nice rusty feel, but are unavailable.  Reddish brown is a match for the piping and looks too similar, and the bright orange is a little too vibrant.  DBG could be quite nice too though...  I guess it's just up to you, with what you feel looks better  :classic: 

I'll definitely share my photos when I'm done with it. Since I'm still a collage student collecting all the pieces might take some time. And I'm sticking with the DBG and changed some of the elements to fit my vision of this ship. Thanks very much for your help! :)

Merry Christmas!

I ended up ordering the parts for this and building it and it seems I'm missing a lot of pieces.  I went to upload the lxf and ldr in bricklink but they both say there is an error with "part not found in catalog".  I have most of the main ship built, but a lot of the greebling is missing, and some of the pieces for the engine.  Not sure what went wrong or if anyone has any insight.  I didn't keep track of what is missing unfortunately so I'll have to do a bit from memory, but I think I have a decent grasp on what is missing.

11 minutes ago, Dukeside said:

I ended up ordering the parts for this and building it and it seems I'm missing a lot of pieces.  I went to upload the lxf and ldr in bricklink but they both say there is an error with "part not found in catalog".  I have most of the main ship built, but a lot of the greebling is missing, and some of the pieces for the engine.  Not sure what went wrong or if anyone has any insight.  I didn't keep track of what is missing unfortunately so I'll have to do a bit from memory, but I think I have a decent grasp on what is missing.

Maybe check the mold type and colour? Upload on rebrickable and see what errors are found.

LXF often uses outdated pieces (which can cost more, so it is a good habit to replace  them with the newer ones), but bricklink SHOULD carry even the older ones.

On 30/12/2016 at 4:17 AM, Dukeside said:

I ended up ordering the parts for this and building it and it seems I'm missing a lot of pieces.  I went to upload the lxf and ldr in bricklink but they both say there is an error with "part not found in catalog".

LDD doesn't have the correct prints available for the astromech droid, so that may cause an issue.  LDD is definitely bad when it comes to handling all the different mood variations that bricklink tracks.  I'm not too sure what the problem is with the ldr file, but all the part IDs should be valid.  I will see if I can put together a brickstock inventory in the next few days.

On 30/12/2016 at 10:09 AM, VaderFan2187 said:

Wow. This is fabulous! :thumbup:

Please do more UCS refreshes please :)

I have a few in the pipeline, but it's a lot harder to do these refreshes than I'd expected (though I probably shouldn't have tried Yoda, what with all that sand green).  Real life has also been getting in the way, I move to a new country next week and will be away from physical Lego  bricks for a few months.  But I still have LDD... :)

Thanks what I have built of it so far I really like. I obviously got it to import somehow (can't remember what I did) I think there were several parts that wouldn't import and I ignored them. Obviously a mistake. I should have made sure all data was good before I ordered. 

I think i exported a parts parts list through LDD that didn't quite work right. 

On 12/7/2016 at 6:03 PM, manglegrat said:

Finally got all the parts in (I messed up a couple of lots and missed them completely so had to do a second round), and have finally built this lovely rendition of the UCS Y-Wing in the brick! 

Looks great! What did you settle on for the end of the engine detail?
Did you using 2 88517 or end up painting the LBG 32077 Futuristic wheels white? Thanks

Edited by Guy0naBuffalo

19 hours ago, Guy0naBuffalo said:

Looks great! What did you settle on for the end of the engine detail?
Did you using 2 88517 or end up painting the LBG 32077 Futuristic wheels white? Thanks

Thanks! I stuck with the two motorcycle wheels - which is heavier but the sag isn't really noticeable where it is up on the shelf (and it can be overcome by using a couple of slightly bent old axles that are inserted so they curve upwards against the weight :wink:)... 

4 hours ago, manglegrat said:

Thanks! I stuck with the two motorcycle wheels - which is heavier but the sag isn't really noticeable where it is up on the shelf (and it can be overcome by using a couple of slightly bent old axles that are inserted so they curve upwards against the weight :wink:)... 

Gotcha - and good tip. I see lots of these for sale with "sag" and it makes me sad.

For the motorcycle wheels, I don't see those as available in white on BL. Did you paint them? How?