Bonaparte

Forum Upgrade - One Month Later

8 hours ago, Bonaparte said:

I just did a test posting using following URL to a Flickr image in this topic and I get the same issue.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3870/14671735395_ca6877d066_z.jpg

Unless someone turns up with a solution I will make a ticket with Invision tomorrow to flag this issue and request for a solution.

EDIT:

Funny, I try it again now and it works :wacko:

Yeah, it's weird- it hasn't been doing it every time, just sort of randomly.  Earlier today, it worked for the first 3 pictures I added, and then stopped working after that, so I don't know what's going on :shrug_confused:

@Bonaparte and others; I think this has nothing to do with Flickr or any image hosting service. This is the hickup that we experienced earlier, which we labelled "performance issues". Sometimes the site seems to hang. When you press Enter in the address bar you might see that the post is actually being submitted. I have encountered this issue before. Not sure how to solve it though.

The grey pages have returned when you try to move to another page in thread.

Only when "refresh" is click does it go to desired page and text appears again clearly.

It's happening here as well, but quite intermittently. Sometimes I get a grey page, sometimes it works. No way to nail down the cause for me... Using FF latest version, no addons.

I've seen this myself on "big" threads with a few dozen pages, but not on smaller ones. One way to get around it is to drag the page number / navigation link into the page's tab. Not exactly sure why the board software's creators tried to reinvent the wheel here; they seem to have made it into a dodecagon.

The error can break navigation with the browsers back / forward buttons and makes it a pain to look back through large threads. I'd rather have things work first time around.

Hello, I'm not secure whether this is the right place to put the suggestions, but hopefully not particularly wrong :)

I noticed several members to have huge pictures in signatures lately. And often these pictures aren't even lego related. Let's name 9V system for example. I know I can easily hide their sigs but still I think there should be a limitation anyway. These signatures take up nearly whole screen! Could you consider setting some restrictions for signature contents and size? Thanks!

In the original feedback thread about the upgraded forum, I posted this back in October:

"Out of curiosity, is there a reason why the 'new posts' brick was changed from a strong yellow colour to the pale light yellow it has now? To me, the colour that now stands out the most on the forum pages is the blue 'already read' brick - which seems a bit counter-intuitive. I will always be more interested in the posts I haven't read than the posts I have read - so from that perspective the 'new posts' colour should be at least as eye-catching, if not more, than the 'already read' colour. Right?"

And Jim replied:

"Agreed. Should be the other way around."

A couple of days after that, it was fixed - the pale yellow was changed into a much stronger yellow colour, a big improvement, in my opinion. Then a few days later, it was changed back. Any reason for that?

4 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

Could you consider setting some restrictions for signature contents and size? Thanks!

I second that - there used to be a clear statement on signature restrictions, but either the restrictions have been removed or nobody cares about them anymore. Then again: In my opinion, even krisandkris12's signature is unnecessarily big and will therefore be blocked by me... :)

10 hours ago, L@go said:

I second that - there used to be a clear statement on signature restrictions, but either the restrictions have been removed or nobody cares about them anymore. Then again: In my opinion, even krisandkris12's signature is unnecessarily big and will therefore be blocked by me... :)

Indeed, it is. And out of date to be honest. I should really update it asap :)

Edited by krisandkris12

20 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

Hello, I'm not secure whether this is the right place to put the suggestions, but hopefully not particularly wrong :)

I noticed several members to have huge pictures in signatures lately. And often these pictures aren't even lego related. Let's name 9V system for example. I know I can easily hide their sigs but still I think there should be a limitation anyway. These signatures take up nearly whole screen! Could you consider setting some restrictions for signature contents and size? Thanks!

You can block all signatures or individual user's signature by clicking on the down arrow by the X to the top right of a user's signature.   It drops down an Ignore Signature Preferences menu.  You can select ignore all signature or just that user. 

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

You can block all signatures or individual user's signature by clicking on the down arrow by the X to the top right of a user's signature.   It drops down an Ignore Signature Preferences menu.  You can select ignore all signature or just that user. 

I have noticed this problem as well. It's pretty upsetting if nearly all regular posts are half the size (or even smaller) than the signature. A lot of screen estate is wasted this way.

And I do NOT think it helps to MANUALLY deactivate all signatures which are to big... You'd have to redo this for any new user that pops up with such a big signature. Let's talk about a scrolling and clicking orgy :look:

Longtime lurker here, registered to see if there is a profile option to switch back to the old forum theme but didn't find one. The current design doesn't change pages properly for me :( What shall I do, forum turned very hard to use?

Edited by thunderl

8 hours ago, Capparezza said:

I have noticed this problem as well. It's pretty upsetting if nearly all regular posts are half the size (or even smaller) than the signature. A lot of screen estate is wasted this way.

And I do NOT think it helps to MANUALLY deactivate all signatures which are to big... You'd have to redo this for any new user that pops up with such a big signature. Let's talk about a scrolling and clicking orgy :look:

There are rules for signatures in the Site Guidelines on word limits and picture sizes and numbers.  It seems the new forum software has automatically double spaced all the lines of text in old signatures.  They look bigger than before.  You can report users with non-guidelines compliant signatures.

Once you blocked a person's signature, his/her signature will not display again to you.  If you want to see that person's signature again, you have to go into your Ignored Users settings and unblock their signature.  You can also select the ignore all signatures option and not have to deal with a scrolling orgy. 

Logging on a guest will not display signatures by default.

Thanks for your answer and your patience. I guess I'll completely deactivate signatures for now, until the double-spacing is resolved.

Hi all, I wanted to comment on the forum upgrade: I think it looks great, but I'm sorely, sorely missing the raw editor functionality.

When I'm writing a long post, I don't feel comfortable keeping it in the editing box for fear it could be deleted by whatever random event. I typically write long posts in a text editor with BB code and then paste it into the raw editor for final adjustments - without the raw editor I can't do this anymore, and without explicit saving functionality in the WYSIWYG editor, I'm still not comfortable writing a long post directly in the site.

Please consider bringing back the raw editor if possible!

(or let me know if it's actually right in front of my face)

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Commander Wolf said:

without the raw editor I can't do this anymore

Have you tried pasting BBCode into the post box? I still type code directly into the editor and it seems to work. From what I understand though, BBCode will be completely removed in some future release of the software.  The plain text version of the editor doesn't exist anymore, it's not a matter of enabling it, it's been removed by the software developers.

7 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Have you tried pasting BBCode into the post box? I still type code directly into the editor and it seems to work. From what I understand though, BBCode will be completely removed in some future release of the software.  The plain text version of the editor doesn't exist anymore, it's not a matter of enabling it, it's been removed by the software developers.

Wow, that's unfortunate news; thanks for the heads up. Without BBCode does that mean there will not be any way to write formatted content outside of the editor and have it display properly?

10 hours ago, Commander Wolf said:

Wow, that's unfortunate news; thanks for the heads up. Without BBCode does that mean there will not be any way to write formatted content outside of the editor and have it display properly?

I'm not sure, the help documents say it is html but I've had no luck typing in html. I guess the developer just wants everyone to use the editor for some reason. Hopefully they will get enough customer complaints to add back some sort of editor some day :classic:

My bookmarked link to Eurobricks is for "Unread Content," since I usually like to see what's new in a handful of different forums.  The browser hangs for a while, then pops up a notification that a script is causing the hangup and asks if I want to stop it.  Stopping it works - I don't know what it would be doing.  It happens every time I hit the "Unread Content" page.... the browser hangs for a little while, then pops up the error message dialog, but the page eventually loads just fine.

On 11/23/2016 at 6:37 AM, Commander Wolf said:

On 11/23/2016 at 7:07 AM, Darkdragon said:

I'm not sure, the help documents say it is html but I've had no luck typing in html. I guess the developer just wants everyone to use the editor for some reason. Hopefully they will get enough customer complaints to add back some sort of editor some day :classic:

I've had quite some success just pasting formatted text from office and such, try it out. You can also paste all kinds of stuff, for example tables (these are copied from a google doc, not sure if office would work too):

test test2
test3 test4
test5 test6

Maybe this helps you here;)

Also, for adding the editor, while I'm in no way able to speak for the admins, I remember it being mentioned that it is an issue with support of the old editor, the new software simply doesn't support it.

I have more information about the script problem I've encountered: if I mark all content read, and don't wait for too much to build up, it doesn't happen.  So if I've been away for a week, and click "unread content," I get the script error....it's probably just taking too long to finish.

I also dearly miss the "first unread post" link.

9 minutes ago, fred67 said:

@fred67 I still have it. It is the bright colored brick with the red stripe in front of any topic you've posted in. Click that and it brings you to the first unread post. If you hover over it, it says "Go to first unread post" or something like that. Was there another place this used to appear?

26 minutes ago, fred67 said:

I have more information about the script problem I've encountered: if I mark all content read, and don't wait for too much to build up, it doesn't happen.  So if I've been away for a week, and click "unread content," I get the script error....it's probably just taking too long to finish.

Can you post a screenshot with the error?

I will look into the "first unread post" issue. 

14 minutes ago, Hinckley said:

@fred67 I still have it. It is the bright colored brick with the red stripe in front of any topic you've posted in. Click that and it brings you to the first unread post. If you hover over it, it says "Go to first unread post" or something like that. Was there another place this used to appear?

That would be a quick solution :laugh:
(I've never used that function)