Sign in to follow this  
Red_5

75101 First Order TIE Fighter variations

I was looking at the TIE fighter instruction on the Lego support page and found 2 slightly different set of instructions for the same set. Anyone knows why?

Try to switch between both images quickly to see the difference

6175800.jpg

6136392.jpg

Edited by Red_5

Yeah, the original version had 517 pieces, the updated version has 533.  The updated version has a different build for where the wings attach to the arms.  You can see the difference in the instructions at that point.  There's only some minor differences otherwise.

I would wager it has something to do with all the people that complained about the wings falling off easily. Which was/is user error, you just need to push them in completely until they click (like in the instructions). In all likelihood it's easier to do that with the revision.

I have the first version and I glued the wings in place. It is one of the first sets I have had to glue. 

Edited by Nien Nunb

Oh wow that is so good to know. I am getting this set next month and in Japan the piece count is never printed so it is actually a mystery which version we ultimately got unless you count every piece before you build the kit. 

This will come in handy for when I get to the wings. Oo Forbid the thought of glue ; ; 

On 10/28/2016 at 4:35 PM, Japanbuilder said:

Oh wow that is so good to know. I am getting this set next month and in Japan the piece count is never printed so it is actually a mystery which version we ultimately got unless you count every piece before you build the kit. 

This will come in handy for when I get to the wings. Oo Forbid the thought of glue ; ; 

You can see the difference on the box art. So on the off chance the seller photographed the specific unit they're selling, it doesnt have to be a mystery.

Also its not just Japan that doesn't print the piece count, printing the piece count is exclusive to NA

Edited by Magmafrost

21 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

Also its not just Japan that doesn't print the piece count, printing the piece count is exclusive to NA

I've always wondered about that, why don't we all get the piece count?

13 hours ago, Flandy said:

The US requires all products containing multiple parts to list how many parts it contains, apparently

13 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

You can see the difference on the box art. So on the off chance the seller photographed the specific unit they're selling, it doesnt have to be a mystery.

I usually go through Amazon Japan to get my SW LEGO since the closest shop that carries them at reasonable prices is very far away from me. While they do list an image it is the same one as the image used in the first run I think. I would only be able to tell once it was delivered which iteration I got. 

13 hours ago, Flandy said:

It's a marketing thing, pasting the piece count on the box could make the consumer think twice about if the product is worth their money.

1 hour ago, khatmorg said:

It's a marketing thing, pasting the piece count on the box could make the consumer think twice about if the product is worth their money.

No, its a legal thing. They're legally required to put it there in the US and Canada, and they're not required to anywhere else. Although why they dont just put the piece count on it everywhere so they only have to print one design is beyond me.

53 minutes ago, Magmafrost said:

No, its a legal thing. They're legally required to put it there in the US and Canada, and they're not required to anywhere else. Although why they dont just put the piece count on it everywhere so they only have to print one design is beyond me.

Yeah no I know that, what I meant is that it's for marketing reasons that they decide to NOT put it on the boxes in regions outside north america. If it would increase sales TLG would surely paste in on every box out there. Sadly it's in no way beneficial to TLG itself to allow the consumer to make direct comparisons (via piece count) between sets within the same price point. You can look up the piece count online of course nowadays, but the average buyer most likely will not when picking out a set in a brick and mortar store.

Edited by khatmorg

2 hours ago, Flandy said:

That makes sense, piece count can be an indication of size/value, but not always.

Sadly it makes more sense because an uninformed customer is a profitable one. Its sad to think of TLG in that light, but that's just the way of the word. A consumer wont mind getting ripped off if they dont have enough information to conclude that they're being ripped off.

Edited by Magmafrost