Sign in to follow this  
teos

Technic 42054 Class Tractor Changeover issue

I have a question regarding a changeover issue with the 42054 Class tractor set.  In the rear of the set is the crane grabber unit with 2 levers/changeovers.  With my model, the right lever (facing the rear/crane) seems to activate the mechanism even while in neutral.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Does anyone have a suggestion for a new(ish) Technic builder to correct it?  I took the unit off and played with the mechanism for a bit, but cannot tell what the cause might be.

There are 3 catches in the set, and I have no idea which one you're referring to.

Are you referring to lower catch in the control panel:

28432223130_3b75e74510_c.jpg

or one of the two catches in the crane, and if yes, which one

28432225570_40fd6a5fae_c.jpg

If it's the lower catch in the control panel that you're talking about, I think the problem is in this step:

146.jpg

You need to keep both the grey 16-tooth gear and the bevel 20-tooth gear straight.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

35 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

28432225570_40fd6a5fae_c.jpg

When looking at the above picture it is the right lever/ changeover that activates while in neutral.

36 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Did you do this step correctly in terms of red gear

271.jpg

I just took some of it apart to access that changeover and it appeared to have been assembled correctly.  Nevertheless, I disassembled and reassembled as shown and now it seems to work.  I'm not sure what went wrong before, but thank you for trying to help.  Maybe it's possible to put the dk. gray changeover on the white piece wrong and it doesn't function as it should.

1 hour ago, teos said:

I just took some of it apart to access that changeover and it appeared to have been assembled correctly.  Nevertheless, I disassembled and reassembled as shown and now it seems to work.  I'm not sure what went wrong before, but thank you for trying to help.  Maybe it's possible to put the dk. gray changeover on the white piece wrong and it doesn't function as it should.

It could be that you built it very carefully and almost frictionless the first time, so that the friction between the clutch gear and the driving ring was enough to drive the crane even though it was in neutral. This happened to me when I built the 42043 Arocs, It started tipping the bed whenever I turned the motor on. I just pushed one of the gears against a liftarm and suddenly the behaviour stopped.

I experienced a very similar problem and it appeared to relate to friction issues in the build. A few adjustments and a little tinkering resolved the problem. Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly which adjustment or tinker actually did the trick :pir_wacko:

I'm just asking here since this topic is issue related:

I built my Xerion last night to the point of finishing the cabin, and after attaching it and testing the motorized cabin turning now, I find that when the cabin turning function with the driving ring is in neutral/middle position, I can still turn the cabin by hand without any resistance.
To lock the cabin somewhat in place I have to set the selector in the up or down position, but then it will be activated automatically if I accidentally turn the battery box on.

I don't have any issue with this, but is it supposed to be like that? I feel like it kinda defeats the whole purpose of having the cabin turning motorized.