Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

7424 Review: Dragon Fortress

indexed.gif

Well this is the first time I've done a review, so bare with me. :-$

7419- Dragon Fortress

There are no problems with the instructions in this set, so I didn't take any pics. There are also no stickers *sweet*

The Minifigures

There is a good amount of minifigs in this set, 9 in total, with 3 minifigs exclusive to this set.

First the good guys. Pippin Reed (with two hats), Johnny Thunder, Jing Lee, Dr Kilroy:

DSCF2635.jpg

Now the bad guys. A Chinese guard (I love these guys), Chang Wu, Lord Sinister, another guard:

DSCF2639.jpg

Here's Jing Lee. The torso looks great *wub* :

DSCF2644.jpg

Here's Chang Wu, an amazing figure. The detail is great on the face and torso (looks like all of my photos missed out that his staff has a dragon plume at the top):

DSCF2641.jpg

The back of his head has printing of some hair:

DSCF2643.jpg

The Guardian. Nothing much to say here, but I think the scimitar, samurai armour and bat helmet look quite good together):

DSCF2645.jpg

Without his helmet:

DSCF2647.jpg

The Truck

The truck isn't all that special, but I'd say it's one of the better Orient Expedition vehicles. Although it's mostly <insert that tiresome argument>, it still looks pretty good, and it comes with quite a few useful parts, such as the black chain and the treads (?)

DSCF2649.jpg

It has two crates on the back allowing it to carry the many accesories that come with this set (pith helmet, pick axe, spade, rifle, pistol, binoculars, map of Dragon Fortress (unfortunately, I can't find that at the moment :-( ), magnifying glass and camera):

DSCF2650.jpg

The Fortress

Clearly the best part of the set. The Dragon Fortress is a beautiful building, with many details and playability.

DSCF2634.jpg

On the left side is a small fortification with a barrel of fireworks. The fireworks are simple yet effective, and I am pleased TLC would make such a nice detail.

DSCF2651.jpg

On the right side is identical to the left side, except instead of a fireworks barrel, a catapult is placed. Obviously not as good as the other side, but TLC has to put a catapult somewhere, don't they? :-| :-P

DSCF2652.jpg

The stairs leading up to the main building. I am very surprised with how effectively the baseplate has been used in this set, especially here. The stairs are nicely done, the colours work very well together. The two torches on the sides are very well built, and look great.

DSCF2653.jpg

The entrance to the palace. The doors have been done simply but effectively, and the two dragon heads are well-placed. The walls are done very nicely as well, and once again the colours look great together.

DSCF2654.jpg

The top of the building. The general shape of the building is very good. two flags poke out of either side, and shows a dragon with a nice oriental border (I forgot to take a picture of this, but if anyone really wants a pic I'll show take one). The roof is absolutely beautiful, and is definately one of the highlights of the set.

DSCF2655.jpg

A detail worth mentioning are the Chinese lanterns that hang under the rooves. They are very nice and decorate the building well. Like the fireworks, I'm surprised TLC would make something like this.

DSCF2657.jpg

Here's the inside of the building. The bottom floor is a throne room for Chang Wu. The room is pretty empty, and could've done with some more details, but it's alright.

DSCF2658.jpg

Here's the throne:

DSCF2659.jpg

..Which can lift up to reveal a stash of diamonds:

DSCF2661.jpg

Here's the top floor. Contrary to the bottom floor, this room is a little cramped, but it is pretty well made with plenty of details.

DSCF2662.jpg

There are two contraptions that you put some 1x1x1 bricks into..

DSCF2664.jpg

..And then tip up..

DSCF2665.jpg

..Dropping rocks down on those that try to enter the palace:

DSCF2666.jpg

In the middle is the golden helmet, the last piece of armour the adventurers need:

DSCF2667.jpg

Pretty simple to take, right?

DSCF2668.jpg

Wrong! :-P Pull a technic piece out from under it, and one of those pesky trapdoors send you flying down to the bottom floor again:

DSCF2669.jpg

Once all that is over with, you go to the very back. The building is quite a nice little thing, nothing much more to say about that.

DSCF2670.jpg

You open the doors, revealing the Guardian statue:

DSCF2673.jpg

Then put the golden helmet on him..

DSCF2675.jpg

..Allowing you to take the two golden keys!

DSCF2677.jpg

You then go up to two more small structures (sorry, didn't take any proper pics of them) with doors that you can unlock with your keys:

DSCF2678.jpg

Inside each is a wheel..

DSCF2679.jpg

..Which you turn (Aaahh! What is that?!), which causes two technic-type pieces to be slid away..

DSCF2681.jpg

..Which allows the structure with the Guardian in it to be pulled out..

DSCF2682.jpg

..Which reveals the Golden Dragon! Phew! :-$

DSCF2683.jpg

And there's the Golden Dragon, in all it's glory *wub* I love the tail and chrome head, as well as the great printing on it:

DSCF2685.jpg

Now all the adventurers have to do is escape :-| :-D

DSCF2687.jpg

Oh yeah, it also comes with a board game and cards. While pretty cheesy, I'm sure it would be good for children. I've played it a couple of times, and it's pretty easy to beat the "baddies".

DSCF2689.jpg

Here are the cards:

DSCF2690.jpg

And here's the game itself:

DSCF2692.jpg

Round-up

Playability: 9

Detail: 9

Swooshability: 4

Price: 8

Overall: 9.5

I strongly recommend this set to all lovers of the Adeventurers theme and even those who aren't. It comes with some great parts, great minifigures, and a great build. This set is without a doubt the best set of the Orient Expedition theme, and in my opinion, one of the best sets that have come out this decade.

Thank you!!! I like this set, but WOULD NEVER buy it. Expensive? Yes. Great review, and amazing pics!

Can you take a pic of that flag?

Edit: Oh, and amzing first review! Keep them coming!

Edited by ~VBBN~

Awesome set, and I dig the pictures. I love the Guard minifigs... and I have to add a warning. This set is EXPENSIVE on the secondary market.

I wonder, though - weren't there other chromed pieces in other Orient Expedition sets? What was the intended storyline?

(I've since folded it into my Avatar continuity. Yum. )

Edited by Iron Moose

Can you take a pic of that flag?

Sorry, I can't do it for about 4 days. My brother has gone away and took the camera with him |-/

Awesome set, and I dig the pictures. I love the Guard minifigs... and I have to add a warning. This set is EXPENSIVE on the secondary market.

Yeah, I got pretty good bargains for the two I bought though. I got my first one for about $100US, which included the Emperor's Ship, and the second one I managed to get for $45US *sweet*

I wonder, though - weren't there other chromed pieces in other Orient Expedition sets? What was the intended storyline?

Yeah, the other two big sets come with a chrome armour piece. The Scorpion Palace came with a chrome gold shield and the Temple of Mount Everest came with a chrome gold sword. I believe they were supposed to get all 3 items and put them on the Guardian to get the Golden Dragon. That's what happens in the comics at least :-$

Thanks for the review! This is a great set, my friend has it and it really is awesome! *wub* The details are great and it really captures the oriental look. *sweet*

~Peace

Edited by iamded

Thanks for reviving this excellent set with your review. For your first review, or for your 10th review, it's an excellent job. Just the focus a couple of pics needs to be improved, and when you take a picture of something small, like the individual figs or small groups of them, or the jewels, it doesn't need to take up the full page. In fact it kinda hurts the eyes to look at a fig that is the size of PC screen. A small picture will show just as much.

Excellent job, though, particularly since this was my favourite Adventurers set, and in my opinion the best set released by TLC that entire year. So your taste is impeccable.

Better than anything released for Indiana Jones this year, and all as far as I can tell better than the slightly similar set planned for Indiana Jones 4 in later 2008 http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...showtopic=13478

Lots of attention to detail and a fun build of the main palace too. The structure really is beautifful, and looks authentic as a Chinese palace. Loved the lanterns - amazing how a little detail can make such a big difference, especially when repeated (take note MOCers)

The only weak point was the sucky vehicle. But then, nearly all Adventurers vehicles tend to be sucky.

Good bye Johnny - we'll miss ya. :'-(

I have increadible regret missing out on this great set - I have no idea why I didnt get it at the time, but now its way too late. Oh lament :'-(

Thank you for the nice review

I didn't bought this set because it was so expensive, but I liked Jing Lee so much

The special features of this set make it extra nice. The only problem with the orient expedition and also other adventurers sets is that when you bought al sets you had loads of Johnnies and Lord Sinisters.

Thank you a lot for such an interesting and informativ review! )

Only yesterday I was wondering if to buy this set or not.... (It's still available in Russia....) But it is quite pricey. Could you tell me the price, you got it for? Gust for me to compare.... :-) Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Excellent review TPRU. What a great set! I love the Orient Expedition collection. What I like most about this set is the use of the red and tan colors and the oriental guards (although there are many other things I like).

I still have this set in an unopened box. Don't ask me why I'm saving it???

It would seem I missed out on a great set, there's so much more to this set than I originally thought! The review showed lots of superb details which makes this set really appealing! *sweet*

Thank you a lot for such an interesting and informativ review! )

Only yesterday I was wondering if to buy this set or not.... (It's still available in Russia....) But it is quite pricey. Could you tell me the price, you got it for? Gust for me to compare.... :-) Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

I paid $70 Canadian plus shipping on eBay. For comparison purposes, that's less than the Dwarves Mine or TIE Crawler go for right now in stores.

Edited by Iron Moose

I paid $70 Canadian plus shipping on eBay. For comparison purposes, that's less than the Dwarves Mine or TIE Crawler go for right now in stores.

I see.... Thank you.... ) Here, it's about 200 USD :-X I'd better order it then.... )

Thanks for reviewing this great set.

I bought it when it first came out (in 2003?) and still love it.

In my opinion the only set that uses that big baseplate in a well integrated way, it really looks good.

I changed the car's tracks for the old narrow ones (same length but only half as wide, used with the 4,5v motors long time ago) they are just as wide as the front tires and look much better.

This set has always been expensive, I paid 109,99 back in 2003, and finding it below that price on the secondary market nowadays is a real bargain. It was worth it's price though, considering all the pieces and minifigs it included.

Thankyou for this excellent review of this classic set. This one definitely makes it into my top three favourite sets of alltime, and it even uses the baseplate great too.

I plan to get it one day, unfortunately it is very expensive :'-(

Batbrick is Back! >:-)

Thx for the nice review. I want this set! :'-( *y*

Could you make a picture of those oriental flags? :-$

Could you make a picture of those oriental flags? :-$

There are pictures of that on Bricklink as well, behold:

bb130.jpg

Gosh, I never realised there were so many features in that set... I really wish I got it when it was released... Some very nice figs too...

Great review, thanks

Aww, I got the Maharaja's palace instead when they came out. Now i feel I made a mistake :/

DUDE!!! This set is awesome!!!

I love the story of what they have to do to get the Golden Dragon.

Loads of playability and great details also?

I must have it.

Great review.

There are pictures of that on Bricklink as well, behold:

Thanks, but for those too lazy to turn their heads sideways, here's a pic :-P :

DSCF2922.jpg

And here's a pic of the map:

DSCF2923.jpg

Thanks TPRU! That flag is wonderful, and the map isn't half bad either! *wub*

~Peace

Thanks alot for this review TinyPies!

I never knew this set was so detailed. I love the barrel with fireworks.

Definitly one of the better sets!

I highly regret I didn't buy this set when I had the chance. Probably because of the money... :'-(

There are also no stickers *sweet*

Ooooh good old times :'-)

Marvelous review for a first one, by the way.