MODORO

[MOD] Motorized 42056 PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS

Recommended Posts

Jan-'17

Now, building instruction file (PDF) is available at Rebrickable linked below

http://www.rebrickable.com/mocs/Modoro/motorized-42056-porsche-911-gt3-rs-version-11

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi.. everyone!

This my 2nd posting here, introducing my own renovation(or remodeling) of TECHNIC 42056 PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS.

Among the newly released 2016 Lego models, "TECHNIC 42056 PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS" received the best attention before release.

In addition to its nice and detailed appearance, now I attempt to review the process of blowing features including RC driving and 4-speed gearbox shifting, and LED lights as well.

The video above shows the process of remodeling TECHNIC 42056 PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS and a driving test in the following order.

  • The process of remodeling each part of PORSCHE chassis
  • Driving and steering test of the remodeled PORSCHE chassis
  • The process of binding the renovated chassis to the PORSCHE body
  • Field driving test

The main target of this RC remodeling is just a chassis (or power-train) that is composed of front/rear axis, power transmission and steering units.

The following figure compares the before and after appearance of the renovated PORSCHE chassis.

                  <Before>                                                                <After>

IMG_5826_small.jpgIMG_5872_small.jpg

The changes and features of the renovated PORSCHE chassis are as follows

  1. Mounted drive motors (L-motor x 4)
  2. Mounted a steering motor (S-motor x 1)
  3. Modified gear shifting method not using the paddle shift
  4. remodeling of the 4-speed sequential gearbox for enhanced durability and power transmission efficiency
  5. Mounted PF battery (optionally, two batteries)
  6. Mounted two SBRICKs for the remote control capability
  7. While including all of the above modifications, it maintains the design and major features of the original 42056 model. (rear fake engine room, Hand of God, glove box, toolbox under the hood etc.)

This review is divided into a total of 9 sections, 
and the following videos illustrate the building progress of each section, respectively.

 

part 1: chassis frame remodeling

In this section, the main contents of RC motorizing 42056 PORSCHE chassis is largely divided into three sub-parts and will be described as follows .

1) reinforcement of chassis regidity

A dictionary meaning of chassis frame is defined as

"the frame plus the "running gear" like engine, transmission, drive shaft, differential, and suspension"

In the original 42056 model implementing the real PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS in LEGO model, a chassis is composed to support the body, transmissions, front and rear axis, engine etc.

By the way, LEGO designers did not consider the RC driving from the stage of planning the TECHNIC 42056 model.

Thus the chassis regidity, weakened by adding driving & steering motors, gear-shifting motors and battery boxes, cannot maintain the body shape of its own secure and inhibits the stable driving performance.

In order to reinforce the chassis regidity that is more weakened by removing liftarms to mount 4 driving L-motors under the gear-box, 42056 chassis core is newly configured using a total of thress TECHNIC 5x11 liftarms.

 

2) provision of driving motor mounting space

4 driving L-motors are mounted under the gear box between the driver and front passenger.

3) provision of gear-shifting axle mounting space

In the original 42056 model, The transmission and drive shaft axis are designed in the form perpendicular to each other.

According to this design, gear shifting can be done accurately, smoothly and sequentially from 1st speed to 4th speed.

However in the driving test progress, it turned out that thress 24-toothed bevel gears in driving pathways can not deliver high torque & power to the rear axle and differential gears.

Thus, to remove three bevel gears in the pathway of the remodeled 42056 chassis, gear shifting axle is heightened by 3L and driving shaft is connected right to the 4-speed transmissions.

 

 

part 2: 4-speed sequential gearbox remodeling

 

 

part 3: control units for the RC gear shifting

 

part 4: driving motors mounting

 

 

part 5: dashboard remodeling

 

 

part 6: front/rear axis remodeling

 

 

part 7: rear engine room remodeling

 

 

part 8: assembly process of the renovated PORSCHE chassis

 

 

part 9: binding the renovated chassis to the body of PORSCHE

 

These are all I prepared for the review of the motorized 42056 PORSCHE model.

Thanks for reading & watching (-;

 

 

Edited by MODORO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work and thank you for the extremely well done instructions!  Is there a Rebrickable or other parts list that details the extra parts (other than motors) used?  I delayed getting this set while I pick up older sets I like but this may put the Porsche higher up my shopping priority list!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

Excellent work and thank you for the extremely well done instructions!  Is there a Rebrickable or other parts list that details the extra parts (other than motors) used?  I delayed getting this set while I pick up older sets I like but this may put the Porsche higher up my shopping priority list!  

Thanks for your complements (-:

And sorry that it's not ready for rebrickables...

Parts lists in the sliding show instructions are only available now )-:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

Excellent work and thank you for the extremely well done instructions!  Is there a Rebrickable or other parts list that details the extra parts (other than motors) used?  I delayed getting this set while I pick up older sets I like but this may put the Porsche higher up my shopping priority list!  

Further more...

Due to the max size limitation of attached files, I could not review more detailed process of each subpart.

Only if finding another way how to attach more fictures required for more detailed explanation, I would update this review in near future..

I sincerely hope this can help all you remodeling 42056 porsche!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice MOD, thanks for sharing! Funny outdoor video with flying headlights :grin:! Although I miss the part in the video when gears are being shifted while driving :tongue:, the achieved performace / max speed is good :thumbup:!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

Nice MOD, thanks for sharing! Funny outdoor video with flying headlights :grin:! Although I miss the part in the video when gears are being shifted while driving :tongue:, the achieved performace / max speed is good :thumbup:!

Brunojj.. it's my great pleasure to receive such a nice complement ^^

With high probability of success, on-drive gear shift can be performed in forward direction, namely, from 1st to 4th speed. On the other hand, success probability gets worse in the reverse direction, 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd speed and so on. So, this is the remaining challenge to solve.

You can also see the gear shifting test in the above video when it shows a test of the renovated chassis.

Thanks!

Edited by MODORO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent work!! Beyond perfect!! Thanks for sharing all the contents

Instructions are so clear! Someday I can follow your works

By the way, the best part is flying headlight! It's faster than your 4 L-motor powered Porsche  hahaha 

Edited by mistakecargo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks captain~~!

My renovation is still undergoing and, when finishing it, I'd like to edit a building instructions for you who would follow me up.. (-:

Regarding the flying headlights... it comes from a inappropriate attachment of LED lights under the transparent headlights. Anyway I'm happy that it gives you a laught~^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow you did a great job! Hope if I buy this Porsche ever I will use this topic for it's motorizing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aleh said:

Wow you did a great job! Hope if I buy this Porsche ever I will use this topic for it's motorizing...

Thanks for your praise~

When finishing further modification (ver 1.1) and making the building instructions, I'll update this topic^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extremely well done renovation, videos and post.  I delayed buying the Porsche while I buy up older sets I still love but your instructions are likely to speed up when I buy this model. Two thumbs up!  ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GBTechnic said:

Extremely well done renovation, videos and post.  I delayed buying the Porsche while I buy up older sets I still love but your instructions are likely to speed up when I buy this model. Two thumbs up!  ????

Thanks~

I hope you purchase 42056 and experience the motorized PORSCHE soon~

Renovation version 1.1 is ongoing, and when ready, building instructions would be shared on this topic.

Edited by MODORO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:laugh: Like others, I marvel at the flying headlight too :tongue:

But mounting/attachment issues aside, I think it showed that the car body has been receiving quite a lot of the bumps (i.e. not protected by the suspension) - can consider adding some dampening mechanism, longer suspension travel or harder springs (I cannot be sure as I don't have the porsche set).

Overall, I really like your work, and I might seriously look into how you did the gearbox/switching and learn from that :grin:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PorkyMonster said:

:laugh: Like others, I marvel at the flying headlight too :tongue:

But mounting/attachment issues aside, I think it showed that the car body has been receiving quite a lot of the bumps (i.e. not protected by the suspension) - can consider adding some dampening mechanism, longer suspension travel or harder springs (I cannot be sure as I don't have the porsche set).

Overall, I really like your work, and I might seriously look into how you did the gearbox/switching and learn from that :grin:.

Thanks for your good points...

As mainly focusing on making 42056 PORSCHE body move... I did not consider enhancing dampening mechanism, especially front axle needs more suspension.. That's true!

Regarding the mechanism of gear-shifting... it's simple.

I just use one M-motor and several gears to rotate gear-shifting warm gears and make four steps.

Another point to notice from this motorized version is how to reinforce 4 speed gears enough to make the heavy body of 42056 PORSCHE climb up-hill to the physical limit of LEGO gears...

Edited by MODORO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastico!!! quello che cercavo. mille grazie.

Fantastic!!! I was looking for. thank you very much.

I wondered, for "lower" costs you can use the battery compartment standar to put the rechargeable (maybe you can enter later) ?.
To recap, without touching the body (at the time I made the model following the Lego instructions), I divide the two sides and work only on the "frame" taking it apart and reassembling following your good (compliments) instructions. I'm wrong?

I have to buy me:

4 88003 Motore L Power Functions

1 8883 Motore M LEGO® Power Functions

1 88004 Servomotore Power Functions

2 88000 Vano batterie AAA LEGO® Power Function or 2 8878 Vano batterie ricaricabili LEGO® Power Functions

2 Sbricks.

Also serve 8886 extension cord LEGO Power Functions???

thank you very much.

Mauro

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by mauro_lupin
aggiunta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Is there any online store that sells this MOC-6276 as one set?  Or do I need to buy the parts separately ?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎년 ‎1‎월 ‎14‎일 at 7:29 AM, mauro_lupin said:

Fantastico!!! quello che cercavo. mille grazie.

Fantastic!!! I was looking for. thank you very much.

I wondered, for "lower" costs you can use the battery compartment standar to put the rechargeable (maybe you can enter later) ?.
To recap, without touching the body (at the time I made the model following the Lego instructions), I divide the two sides and work only on the "frame" taking it apart and reassembling following your good (compliments) instructions. I'm wrong?

I have to buy me:

4 88003 Motore L Power Functions

1 8883 Motore M LEGO® Power Functions

1 88004 Servomotore Power Functions

2 88000 Vano batterie AAA LEGO® Power Function or 2 8878 Vano batterie ricaricabili LEGO® Power Functions

2 Sbricks.

Also serve 8886 extension cord LEGO Power Functions???

thank you very much.

Mauro

 

 

 

 

 

I think that, how to put the battery box is just on your disposal.

In my case, to minimize changes from the original, I made a slight change of backseat shelvs to make a room for batteries.

and.. you're right! you have only to reassemble the chassis of PORSCHE 911.

Besides power function parts you mentioned, additional TECHNIC parts are also needed, beams, axles etc.

Thanks~

20 hours ago, Petrus said:

Hi,

Is there any online store that sells this MOC-6276 as one set?  Or do I need to buy the parts separately ?

 

Thanks,

No. MOC-6276 is a modified set of TECHNIC 42056 PORSCHE 911 GT3 RS model.

So, you need to buy power function motors, battery boxes, Sbricks and additional parts including beams and axles etc.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job!! Respect! :thumbup::wink:

Is the parts list at the end of the pdf manual the complete list of parts for the chassis of the Box1, or only the additional parts?

Have seen that you have set your model on the Rebrickable side. There I can compare your MOC with the original model and find the additional parts (right?)

If you build the remaining parts according to instructions, you can connect as in the original model?

Unfortunately, there are no pictures where i can see the battery boxes installed. Please can you post some pictures?

You have installed Sbricks, can you send us the SBrick profile?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎년 ‎1‎월 ‎14‎일 at 7:29 AM, mauro_lupin said:

Good job!! Respect! :thumbup::wink:

Is the parts list at the end of the pdf manual the complete list of parts for the chassis of the Box1, or only the additional parts?

Have seen that you have set your model on the Rebrickable side. There I can compare your MOC with the original model and find the additional parts (right?)

If you build the remaining parts according to instructions, you can connect as in the original model?

Unfortunately, there are no pictures where i can see the battery boxes installed. Please can you post some pictures?

You have installed Sbricks, can you send us the SBrick profile?

Thanks

Thanks~

I updated the instruction file to include both total and additional part-list to build this MOD, so you don't have to compare (-:

Among the movies above, part 9: binding the renovated chassis to the body of PORSCHE  shows how to install the battery boxes.

Actually battery installation is just on your disposal.. infinitely many methods are opened to you~

Regarding Sbric profile, I made a custom profile for this MOD.. I think I can share soon~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Modoro,
I am a little confused :look:

Your total parts list refers only to the Box1, right?
The other boxes are not taken into account, right?

If the assumption is true:

The number of parts in the total list with parts pictures according to page 125 of your manual: 129 unique parts; 883 total parts

The number of parts in the total list is, according to page 126 of your manual: unique parts 131; 1025 total parts

The number of additional parts according to page 127 of your manual: 44 unique parts; 182 total parts

 

According to Rebrickable MOC 6276: 1037 total parts I suppose also for the Box1

Missing parts to the orignail Box1: 45 unique parts; 168 total parts

 

Please to enlightenment
thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brickgate said:

Hi Modoro,
I am a little confused :look:

Your total parts list refers only to the Box1, right?
The other boxes are not taken into account, right?

If the assumption is true:

The number of parts in the total list with parts pictures according to page 125 of your manual: 129 unique parts; 883 total parts

The number of parts in the total list is, according to page 126 of your manual: unique parts 131; 1025 total parts

The number of additional parts according to page 127 of your manual: 44 unique parts; 182 total parts

 

According to Rebrickable MOC 6276: 1037 total parts I suppose also for the Box1

Missing parts to the orignail Box1: 45 unique parts; 168 total parts

 

Please to enlightenment
thank you

Sorry for late response.. as I was fixing the part-list problem.

It turned out that the part-list from Rebrickable is correct, but the part-list from instruction page 126 and 127 was wrong.

Using the same source 3D CAD file, they made different results.

Finally I found what caused the difference...

the reason was that MLCAD did not count parts from submodels that were duplicated in the main model.

I just updated part-list in the instruction file.

 

Regarding the part-list in page 125, it was generated from LPUB. I still do not know the exact reason.

Later, I'll rebuild the instruction file with LPUB and look it over whether this problem is fixed by resolving the MLCAD problem above.

Sorry, now you have to ignore page 125. It is substituted by the part-list figures from Rebrickable.

Thanks~

Edited by MODORO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MODORO said:

Sorry for late response.. as I was fixing the part-list problem.

It turned out that the part-list from Rebrickable is correct, but the part-list from instruction page 126 and 127 was wrong.

Using the same source 3D CAD file, they made different results.

Finally I found what caused the difference...

the reason was that MLCAD did not count parts from submodels that were duplicated in the main model.

I just updated part-list in the instruction file.

 

Regarding the part-list in page 125, it was generated from LPUB. I still do not know the exact reason.

Later, I'll rebuild the instruction file with LPUB and look it over whether this problem is fixed by resolving the MLCAD problem above.

Sorry, now you have to ignore page 125. It is substituted by the part-list figures from Rebrickable.

Thanks~

Thanks for fast response

For the moment, a question remains open:

Your total parts list refers only to the Box1, right?
The other boxes are not taken into account, right?

So i have to compair in Rebrickable with 42056 box1?

 

 

 

Edited by Brickgate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Brickgate said:

Thanks for fast response

For the moment, a question remains open:

Your total parts list refers only to the Box1, right?
The other boxes are not taken into account, right?

So i have to compair in Rebrickable with 42056 box1?

 

 

 

Box 2 ~ 4 are out of scope.

Part list of this MOD is equivalent only to Box 1.

You don't have to compare with the original 42056 box1.

I already did it for you, "additional part list" in page 126 is a differentiation of the original 42056 and this MOD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MODORO said:

Box 2 ~ 4 are out of scope.

Part list of this MOD is equivalent only to Box 1.

You don't have to compare with the original 42056 box1.

I already did it for you, "additional part list" in page 126 is a differentiation of the original 42056 and this MOD.

 

Thanks,

After build box1 MOD, i build box 2-4 with the original manual and combine it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.