David Thomsen

Pirates theme getting better

Hi, This is what can improve LEGO Pirates  and other sets. As far as I know, all the main LEGO themes from early 1980-s till 1999 – City, Castle, Pirates Aquazone and even not so popular Adventurers had their own accessory pack. Pirates had even 2 versions(1993 , 1995). Please explain why there are no such packs now.  Little fans often lose small accessories. And adult fans ( I’m 32) need them to make their creations more detailed.  Even small and cheep sets can be realistic and historically accurate, more educational for kids. I hope my comments will help your experts to improve new sets. Please believe – LEGO is my life. I was offered to be a member of a jury at the coming winter LEGO contest in my city.  And what are your ideas?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:52 PM, Staslegomaster said:

Please explain why there are no such packs now.  Little fans often lose small accessories.

The latest Pirate sets came with tons of spare accessories, so there probably isn't the need to provide a separate accessory pack anymore.

5 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

The latest Pirate sets came with tons of spare accessories, so there probably isn't the need to provide a separate accessory pack anymore.

Yes, there were. And that was why I liked the set 70601. It is a ninjago set but can be used to improve pirate sets. I think it was inspired by "LEGO Movie", like Metal Beard's body.

Pirates theme is getting better...pirates theme is getting worse...it is the same as the glass is half full...the glass is half empty. So it's for fans and time to decide.

On 8. november 2016 at 10:37 AM, Staslegomaster said:

Yes, there were. And that was why I liked the set 70601. It is a ninjago set but can be used to improve pirate sets. I think it was inspired by "LEGO Movie", like Metal Beard's body.

So why do you think there was the need for  accessory pack? Simply saying Yes, there were isn't much of an argument or valid point. You need to express why you think there was a need for the  accessory pack and the spare parts wasn't enough. 

20 hours ago, Tupiaz said:

So why do you think there was the need for  accessory pack? Simply saying Yes, there were isn't much of an argument or valid point. You need to express why you think there was a need for the  accessory pack and the spare parts wasn't enough. 

20 hours ago, Tupiaz said:

My point of view is that Pirates is my favourite series. They have been the most popular scince 1989 till 1999. And there were no new sets the next 10 years. And at that time such accessories, bough or found in a set allowedus to turn into pirates and soldiersother mini figures.

On 8. november 2016 at 11:06 AM, Staslegomaster said:

Pirates theme is getting better...pirates theme is getting worse...it is the same as the glass is half full...the glass is half empty. So it's for fans and time to decide.

If you take the pirates chess set. I have never (and I my childhood memories pirates sets dates back to early to late 90's) got so many accessories for the minifigs as in that set. A lot of guns and swords and what not. The accessories back in the 90's was pretty limited.  

7 hours ago, Tupiaz said:

If you take the pirates chess set. I have never (and I my childhood memories pirates sets dates back to early to late 90's) got so many accessories for the minifigs as in that set. A lot of guns and swords and what not. The accessories back in the 90's was pretty limited.  

I corrected the drawback in my version of pirate chess project. if you mean that if not - share your impression in LEGO ideas if you don't mind. Because that site gives fans an opportuniti to create new sets. Do you have any projects there?

On 10/25/2016 at 7:41 AM, Mister Phes said:

The latest releases also marked the return of the blue coats which is something many had been requesting ever since the 2009 releases.

Indeed!  Also the soldiers got an updated flag printed directly onto a brick rather than some horrible sticker.

I am into Lego Pirates from day one when I was a kid and all the first years until my dark ages started like in 1995 or so, until then there never has been sticker flags! Always printed directly on the bricks. As I still own most of these flags there haven't been one single flag in the first two waves with a sticker.

Most importantly... are the rumors of a 30 year Pirates celebration and a Lego Pirates movie for 2019 still true?

10 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Most importantly... are the rumors of a 30 year Pirates celebration and a Lego Pirates movie for 2019 still true?

This is the first I've heard of a Lego Pirates movie. Any details???

Particularly interested, because I'm sitting on a Stop-Motion Project.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:11 PM, kelceycoe said:

You mean like the rumors of a 40 year Castle celebration for 2018? Yeah... not holding my breath here. :sad:

In general I feel like a lot of the themes LEGO focuses more on anniversaries for are the ones that are adult-focused or otherwise have a nostalgia-heavy marketing strategy by default (e.g. Classic, Creator Expert, Technic, and licenses like Ghostbusters, Super Heroes, or Star Wars). While themes like City, Space, Castle, and Pirates obviously have a lot of nostalgic value for Generation X and Generation Y/millennials simply based on how old they are, that doesn't tend to be a major focus in their marketing, since they're very focused on appealing to kids. And even when the subject matter is old-fashioned, it's often not advantageous for kids to think of it that way.

What's more, a lot of the stuff that LEGO has done anniversary celebrations for is stuff that's had a fairly continuous presence over that time (like the LEGO brick, the minifigure, or the Technic building system), not stuff like Pirates that's had more than one lengthy hiatus. There's a lot more power and prestige in being able to advertise "30 years of X" versus "X is 30 years old, but has only really been around for around 2/3 of that time".

That's not to say there won't be Pirates stuff next year (it's certainly possible), but I have doubts that it would be specifically marketed as an anniversary celebration the way the Technic, LEGO brick, and LEGO minifigure anniversaries have been.

I had never heard LEGO Pirates movie rumors but I doubt those ever had credibility, since if it were a theatrical film we'd have heard about them long before now, and if it were a direct-to-DVD/Blu-Ray/digital film or TV special then it's doubtful that we'd even hear about it before a new wave of sets was even confirmed.