Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

AoM: Archery, Phase III: Mitgardian Marksman Tournament

The driving idea behind this MOC, was to have moving targets. Once I had those designed, I figured some functional ballistas would be a good addition, so the build basically became a target game. Both the large targets move together, and you can conceal one target at a time inside the control building. I also experimented with a dark tan and dark green landscape, and am pretty pleased with the result.

The Annual Marksman tournament at Valholl consists of standard archery, and a separate competition with moving targets for ballistas. Who will win this year?

Overview-3.jpg

Left.jpg

Right.jpg

Crowd-b.jpg

ballistas.jpg

More pics here.

C&C always appreciated :classic:

Beautiful work, SK! The functionality is something not often seen in this forum, but it looks like fun (I'm sure you and LJ have been having some competitions). I love the dark green/dark tan landscape, as it creates the image of the tundra, still deeply frozen with permafrost, covered by a layer of vegetation, like lichen, moss, or something else like that. The grandstand is also lovely, though not quite as nice as the platforms in phases I & II with the cross braces. The target building is adequate, but nothing fancy. If there were anything to improve, it would be there, maybe with the roof. The conventional slope-brick roof just seems a bit blasé by your standards...

Nice idea with the disc shooter.  The overall scene is nice.  I like the grandstand and the colors of the landscape make it stand out.  I also like all the archers.  Great work your builds are always something to enjoy. 

The moving targets are spectacular and give this MOC an extra pleasing effect. I also love the color choices for the landscaping and the targets. 

Wow, the stands, targets and ballistas are fantastic, but that landscaping is stunning :wub: the dark green and tan work great together, and the brown studs give the effect of dead plants after the ice has melted. The functionality of the ballistas and targets take the build to the next level, a great finish to the your archery AoM builds! 

The functionality here is really neat, but the landscape texture is just brilliant!   Somehow the smaller targets remind me of tombstones. :look: :laugh:   The lineup of archers looks pretty neat!

Great build, SK!

That terrain is amazingly tundra/Mitgardian! :thumbup:  I still find it interesting what can be accomplished with simple plates.  The line of contesting archers looks great, especially with different uniforms and colors for each archer!  Variations in the crowd are nicely done.  The moving targets and functional ballista are nice LEGO-set-like additions.

The skill level of the archers must be increasing, since these targets are smaller than the earlier phase targets. :wink:

18 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Beautiful work, SK! The functionality is something not often seen in this forum, but it looks like fun (I'm sure you and LJ have been having some competitions). I love the dark green/dark tan landscape, as it creates the image of the tundra, still deeply frozen with permafrost, covered by a layer of vegetation, like lichen, moss, or something else like that. The grandstand is also lovely, though not quite as nice as the platforms in phases I & II with the cross braces. The target building is adequate, but nothing fancy. If there were anything to improve, it would be there, maybe with the roof. The conventional slope-brick roof just seems a bit blasé by your standards...

Thanks! And yeah, John and I have had some fun with this one :grin: The log brick design of the shelter and wall are necessary to help the targets slide more smoothly, but I could likely have used a more complicated roof.

17 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Nice idea with the disc shooter.  The overall scene is nice.  I like the grandstand and the colors of the landscape make it stand out.  I also like all the archers.  Great work your builds are always something to enjoy. 

Thank you, I wasn't sure how to make the ballistas functional at such a smalll scale, until I remember those disc launchers.

13 hours ago, Blufiji said:

The moving targets are spectacular and give this MOC an extra pleasing effect. I also love the color choices for the landscaping and the targets. 

Thanks Blufiji, the moving targets gave me some trouble at first, but the finished design is quite simple.

5 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

Wow, the stands, targets and ballistas are fantastic, but that landscaping is stunning :wub: the dark green and tan work great together, and the brown studs give the effect of dead plants after the ice has melted. The functionality of the ballistas and targets take the build to the next level, a great finish to the your archery AoM builds! 

Thanks! And yeah, the landscape steals the show here :pir-laugh:

1 hour ago, Kai NRG said:

The functionality here is really neat, but the landscape texture is just brilliant!   Somehow the smaller targets remind me of tombstones. :look: :laugh:   The lineup of archers looks pretty neat!

Thanks Kai, wasn't intending to make them look like tombstones, but they do have that shape..

20 minutes ago, Slegengr said:

Great build, SK!

That terrain is amazingly tundra/Mitgardian! :thumbup:  I still find it interesting what can be accomplished with simple plates.  The line of contesting archers looks great, especially with different uniforms and colors for each archer!  Variations in the crowd are nicely done.  The moving targets and functional ballista are nice LEGO-set-like additions.

The skill level of the archers must be increasing, since these targets are smaller than the earlier phase targets. :wink:

Thanks Slegengr!

I absolutely love the working ballista/moving target combo,but the landscaping is very nice as well! :thumbup: 

I can only second the others - functionality + texture of the terrain = great job! ^^

Great play features here, and you've put us to school with the landscaping SK.  Rock solid build!

This makes me want to order bulk dk green and dk tan:tongue:. The landscape is defiently my favourite part, looks so natural and the change from dk green to dk tan looks so incredibly natural. The stands amd play features are also pretty amazing :thumbup:

Very nice build, SK!  The terrain looks great - those brown flower pieces are so useful! :laugh: - and the stands and minifigs are excellent as well!  The small ballistas are superb too (I might have to borrow that design sometime! :wink:), and the functionality always raises builds up a notch! :classic:  Excellent phase III build! 

On 10/24/2016 at 11:28 AM, TitusV said:

I absolutely love the working ballista/moving target combo,but the landscaping is very nice as well! :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus :classic:

On 10/25/2016 at 7:52 AM, Puvel said:

That is an excellent landscape!

Great job on the moving targets and ballistas as well

Thank you, Puvel!

On 10/25/2016 at 11:57 AM, en_zoo said:

I can only second the others - functionality + texture of the terrain = great job! ^^

Thanks en_zoo :grin:

On 10/25/2016 at 0:18 PM, Graham Gidman said:

Love the landscape - perfect color choices! Great staging as well. :thumbup:

Thank you Graham!

On 10/25/2016 at 8:20 PM, mrcp6d said:

Great play features here, and you've put us to school with the landscaping SK.  Rock solid build!

Thanks mrcp6d, it's always good to hear from you!

On 10/26/2016 at 2:18 PM, The Maestro said:

This makes me want to order bulk dk green and dk tan:tongue:. The landscape is defiently my favourite part, looks so natural and the change from dk green to dk tan looks so incredibly natural. The stands amd play features are also pretty amazing :thumbup:

Yeah, this made me want more dark green myself! Thank you :classic:

12 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Very nice build, SK!  The terrain looks great - those brown flower pieces are so useful! :laugh: - and the stands and minifigs are excellent as well!  The small ballistas are superb too (I might have to borrow that design sometime! :wink:), and the functionality always raises builds up a notch! :classic:  Excellent phase III build! 

Thanks Garmadon, and I do like those flowers in brown :laugh:

Both so good looking and with playability! Great work here!

my favourite part is the middle section, the grass/mud looks so organic! Stunning!

Wonderful landscaping here, Isaac, though the functionality is fantastic as well! :wub: The simple design of the grandstand works well here too :classic: