Version: PC-4_3_10

Issue: Can't make second selection.

Scenario: I have my bricks laid out in the designer and I'm ready to create a hinge, I press (Shift+H) to engage the hinge align tool. Next I point my cursor at the first hinge point. The display shows a set of green arrows indicating the selection point. I click and the program locks in the first point. Next I'm ready to select the second point to which the first point should lock. Here is where the issue arises. I don't know how to select the next point.

If there are any LDD users out there who can offer explicit instructions on how to do this, please reply.

Thank you in advance.

You select the second point the same way you select the first.

If you can’t, it’s because there’s no hinge between the points (or the hinge is blocked).

If you still have problems, try to link to a picture so we can see the problem.

Thank you SylvainLS.

I figured it out. The issues was that they were not aligned. This is the part I was trying to hinge. From the friction peg to the technic brick next to it on its right.

02.PNG

Edited by OneGoodBrick

I think you misunderstand what the hinge tool is supposed to do. The tool works on existing hinges, rotating them so that the selected connectors connect. On the picture below, I selected the hole on the blue beam first and I’m hovering over the green pin on the right (green arrows are transparent). If I click/select the green pin, the tool will rotate the hinges made by the red pins so that the green pin fit in the selected hole in the blue beam.

hinge-tool.png

The parts will rotate and click if possible. If not, the arrows around the second connector will turn red and the parts will move back. (Actually, the assembly above can’t connect because the upper corner’s rotation is limited. :grin: )

Beware, often, the hinge-tool also moves and rotates the whole assembly (it’s not “flat on the ground” anymore).

You are absolutely correct. I misunderstood the purpose of the tool. I assumed it was for creating a hinge and aligning it, not for aligning existing hinges. I got it to work now.

15 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Oh wait. So that's what that tool is for! Never knew how to use it, aligned hinges by hand haha :grin:

By hand can still be useful if you can manage it, since the hinge align tool is notoriously buggy. It's a good idea to at least remove the hinged section you are assembling from a larger model before using the hinge align tool since multiple hinged sections (even including parts attached by a single stud) can confuse it and even crash the program. Another option if you're knowledgeable about your trig functions is to figure out the exact angles you need beforehand and input them manually.

Edited by Lyichir

I used to align by hand :laugh: then I entered in the angle measures.

I tried using the tool, didn't work, please help!!! *huh* Please teach me how to use it :sweet: