Dragonator

[Review] 10254 Winter Holiday Train (with Power Functions)

How do you rate this set?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

I don't want to derail (lol) the review, but has anyone had issues with the train actually being able to pull rolling stock beyond what is included? I tired adding more cars to the train but the wheels from the motor just slip in place. I assume it's due to the lack of weight on top of the train motor. Anyone have a good idea for a fix? 

On 1/27/2017 at 5:47 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

I don't want to derail (lol) the review, but has anyone had issues with the train actually being able to pull rolling stock beyond what is included? I tired adding more cars to the train but the wheels from the motor just slip in place. I assume it's due to the lack of weight on top of the train motor. Anyone have a good idea for a fix? 

I am having the same problem except my train will not even pull the cars it comes with. I am new to Lego trains, does anyone have a solution?

41 minutes ago, Legocity101 said:

I am having the same problem except my train will not even pull the cars it comes with. I am new to Lego trains, does anyone have a solution?

What happens? Does it just roll in place? Does it power on at all? You may have done it improperly. 

Yes it is powered up and it tries its best to move but the front wheels just roll in place and the train does not move. 

9 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

What happens? Does it just roll in place? Does it power on at all? You may have done it improperly. 

Edited by Legocity101

Just now, Legocity101 said:

Yes the front wheels just roll in place and the train does not move. 

Is there something stopping the drive wheels from moving? Does it move without load? It sounds like what's happening is that the PF cable might be inhibiting the movement of the big red wheels. Or, you have the big red wheels put on wrong, and they are pressed against something, making them unable to turn. If the train moves without the other cars, the problem is likely with the car that turns the tree. 

3 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Is there something stopping the drive wheels from moving? Does it move without load? It sounds like what's happening is that the PF cable might be inhibiting the movement of the big red wheels. Or, you have the big red wheels put on wrong, and they are pressed against something, making them unable to turn. If the train moves without the other cars, the problem is likely with the car that turns the tree. 

The engine moves fine with no cars and everything look like it is put together correct. Must be the car with the tree. Any suggestions on how to modify it? 

Edited by Legocity101

It's already an old thread, but want to buy this set and use Powered Up to let it run. Somebody already did it this way?

I wonder if u can change the Tender so it fits both the battery box and the engine.

Cause I don't want to see any cable running, just a clean look!

On 10/10/2018 at 7:24 PM, Dragunov2 said:

It's already an old thread, but want to buy this set and use Powered Up to let it run. Somebody already did it this way?

I wonder if u can change the Tender so it fits both the battery box and the engine.

To be honest, you really can’t see the cable between the two that much.  If it truly bothers you,  I would be looking to build connectors underneath the hitch point for the tender somehow, but this would make it quite challenging in such a small build.

This is a great set but my only problem with it is the box car with the spinning tree isn't working properly.  It adds so much friction to the train that the train is hardly able to move.  The train works great if I take the spinning tree box car out of the train.  I've checked the worm gear and other gears and don't see how I can make it work any smoother.  I am wondering if other people are experiencing this issue.

1 hour ago, Rich Richie said:

This is a great set but my only problem with it is the box car with the spinning tree isn't working properly.  It adds so much friction to the train that the train is hardly able to move.  The train works great if I take the spinning tree box car out of the train.  I've checked the worm gear and other gears and don't see how I can make it work any smoother.  I am wondering if other people are experiencing this issue.

No issues here. I would try taking it apart and completely rebuilding it.

12 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

No issues here. I would try taking it apart and completely rebuilding it.

Remember to leave as much slack in the gearing system as possible.  Check this at each stage of the build and you should find the motor more than capable of pulling the entire train and then some.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:24 PM, Dragunov2 said:

I installed the Powered Up parts, the found out that I had an issue with direction, using the Powered Up app. Forward makes it run backward and opposite.  I had a look at some building videos of the Powered Up trains, and it seems like the engine is mounted the other way around on those trains, compared to this. I think I also read something about being able to switch direction on the Power Functions controller. I just disassembled it again, and let the kids play with it using manual propulsion. ? 

1 hour ago, rsletta said:

I installed the Powered Up parts, the found out that I had an issue with direction, using the Powered Up app. Forward makes it run backward and opposite.  I had a look at some building videos of the Powered Up trains, and it seems like the engine is mounted the other way around on those trains, compared to this. I think I also read something about being able to switch direction on the Power Functions controller. I just disassembled it again, and let the kids play with it using manual propulsion. ? 

You can just make the remote so the - is on the top and the + is on the bottom. Still annoying. 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:21 PM, rsletta said:

Last year I bought the 10254 Christmas train and also a Powered Up set. Next Christmas I will build the train with PU. Now I am having a question about running reversed. Is this the same with the (old) PF? I have checked the 60197 and 60051 manuals and both motors are placed the same (and differently/reversed in the 10254).