Trainmaster247

3d Printed Rails and Track!

I have always been looking for an easier way to get some track and wheels to start out with Lego trains. Now having access to a 3d printer I found some files on sites with free online downloads.

Here are a few:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/1-32-garden-railway-wheel-for-lego

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/lego-train-wheel

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/lego-train-tracks

If you browse this site and others you can find even more pieces from switches to odd shaped crossovers. This is a dream come true for some.

Looks like similar files I found on Thingiverse last year. If it is standard tracks and wheels, it might be easier, faster or cheaper to buy them from LEGO or BrickLink.  What printer do you have access and how's the print quality?

I have a small 3D printer (which I haven't used for a while) so I might try some of those track pieces out.

Thanks for uploading the links!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but how did 3D printing track go?  My son has decided he wants loads of track and there are some really interesting bits on places like Thingiverse and I'm eager to give them a try. 

If you've printed any track did it connect ok? Did the trains run ok?

He's only six so he's not arsed about what it looks like, he just wants track. He also wants me to electrify the points but that's a job for another thread. 

1) Depends on your printer.  If you have something like a Makerbot, it'll be ok, but not stellar.  It will hold up pretty well.  If you have access to a high end printer ($50k+), it'll be awesome. 

2) Depends on the model.  I've downloaded a few of those, but some have been way off dimensionally.  Probably a result of someone tweaking the model for their own printer.

Overall, the 3D printed track works, but the connections do wear out after a little bit of play. 

That's true that some models are resized to fit particular printer.
I saw that with My Robox, printing in ABS, I have to adjust sometimes the model (especially sometimes due to the retraction of ABS).

Personally, I have remade my own models :  I use as a template file a LmCAD file that I export to STL via LDView (and then, repare through an online 3D repair service).
That's true that I don't know yet the durability of such track in time.... :wacko: