Sign in to follow this  
doug72

Compact 2-speed gearbox.

For a MOC (WIP) I am currently attempting to build I required a 2 speed gear box to allow for the caterpiller tracks to run either fast or slow.
Fast when traveling to & from work site. Slow when working.
I have developed a compact gearbox with two axles using the old style driving ring to select the required gear as seen in images.

Top View:
30148832130_0df0f6dc56.jpgIMG_4139 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Underside view:
29815437914_5b4da731b7.jpgIMG_4140 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

To achieve this a white clutch (more correctly termed a slip gear) was modified to become a true 24T clutch gear, I belive this was once proposed for a modification to the Front Loader set 8265 but unable to locate this on old forum postings.

30329629882_0e6d48c688.jpgIMG_4138 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

The internals of the white 24T gear are removed and replace by an 16T grey clutch gear - push fit is adequate without need to glue in place.
Result a 2-speed gearbox that takes up very little space.

Edited by Doug72
replaced duplicate image

Indeed a very compact 2-speed switch. Can the center-part of the slip gear be removed easily? I don't have that part at hand.

13 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Can the center-part of the slip gear be removed easily?

Yes they are quite easy to modify:
1/. Place 24T white gear with the side that has 4 small locating slots with tabs face up and support the gear teeth rim with 1L thick beams at several places on a hard surface.
2/. Using a 6mm diam. steel rod place over the centre grey axle bush and with a sharp tap with a hammer knock out the internals.
Discard the white part with grey bush and 2 small thin steel plates
3/. From the remaing 24T white gear part remove the 4 tabs - they snap off easilly.
4/. Insert a grey 16T clutch gear making sure the boss on back of the gear goes through the hole to slightly stick proud ( about 0.5mm)
You may need to enlarge the hole very slightly to allow the boss of the 16T clutch gear to pass through.
5/. No need to glue in as friction is usually enough to stop any slippage between the two parts.

Do I understand correctly that you modified a piece to build something that the Go Kart 42048 shows is perfectly possible in almost the same space without modifications?

15 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Do I understand correctly that you modified a piece to build something that the Go Kart 42048 shows is perfectly possible in almost the same space without modifications?

Yep. Because my version only requires 2 axles and 4 gears as against 3 axles and 7 gears for the Go-kart version.

Mine was built as a module using 7 x 5 frames for easy attachment into MOC but could be installed between two beams 7L apart with c/o lever.

For my MOC I may need another 2-speed unit so may try the go kart version.

The mod of the 24T clutch gear is not my idea it has been used in the past I believe for a modification for the Front Loader 8265

A Lego version would be a desirable addiion the Technic gears.

Edited by Doug72

13 hours ago, Doug72 said:

A Lego version would be a desirable addiion the Technic gears.

Great idea, definitely would be a useful new option. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

If You are purist, You could put some normal 24T gear inline with that 16T clutch gear. It seems, that there is place.

Don't see how you propose coupling a 16T clutch gear to the 24T gear to drive together !

3D printing expensive and as I have lots of spare white 24T clutch (slip) gears it is a cost effective & simple solution.