Sign in to follow this  
The Maestro

Nocturnus Minichallange III B: Brofendur's kitchen

Sibard Harthsol trudged through the miserable morning snow. The sun was rising over the tall Mitgardian peaks, painting the fields golden. Despite the beautiful scene that lay before him, Harthsol's thoughts were as damp as his boots. He was beginning to believe that his master (the mighty and true ruler of all Historica Lord Raavage) had lead him on a wild goose chase. Sending him to this barren, cold, miserable land to die alone. He tried to remember his masters command but he could only gather fragments. Something about dwarves and pies. Harthsol shrugged his shoulders, anything would be better  than this bloody snow, what he would give to be back at home in the swamp with a good barrel of rum. His thoughts started to wander until he spotted a spire of smoke. Hoping that it meant the end of his journey he headed towards it.

When he had finally reached his destination he found out it was in fact a small dwarven village. Before he had even passed through the gates a booming voice met him.

"Welcome captain Harthsol, to the beautiful village of Awsder."

A large (for dwarven standards) dwarf strode towards Harthsol. He was built like a barrel, his long red plaited beard fell over his chest plate. He pulled Harthsol into a hug and gave him a pat on the back, leaving Harthsol winded.

"Come in, come in, My name Is Brofendur Fuhnt and I am honored to have a man of Lord Raavage in my village. I am sure that our pies will exceed your standard, after all, we all know Mitgardians make the best pie."

Harthsol laughed in his head, Mitgardians and pies? The thought was hilarious, yet Harthsol replied with a nod and followed him into the village, wondering what sort of 'pies' the dwarves had conjured up. Brofendur lead him on a winding path, through rows of crooked houses. As they walked Brofendur continued to ramble on about how to make the best pies, although Harthsol was too tired to listen to what properties fyhe root possesses.

"Fhye root can make the pastry extremely flame proof..."

Harthsol checked the sun, about midday he guessed.

"...which can certainly help when a pie is being heated..."

A pub caught Harthsol's attention, well he know where he would be spending the..

"...by a dragon"

That stopped Sibard Harthsol in his tracks.

"A dragon?" Harthsol spluttered

"yes a dragon, i'll show you" Brofendur told him as if it were not at all unusual. He lead Harthsol to a small balcony over a large pit, and sure enough there was a dragon. Its black scales glinting in the sunlight. Dwarves  milled around the working area, carrying ingredients and working on new recipes. Brofendur saw the nervous look on Harthsol's face and laughed.

"You don't have to be scared of her, we have guards keeping her at bay at all times" 

"With those little toothpicks?!?" Harthsol asked, terrified.

"oh well, better that then nothing eh, anyway she's a vegetarian so you've got nothing to fear" 

I sighed, it wasn't the most relaxing thought but it was more comforting know that you weren't going to be eaten any time soon.

"so why do you need a dragon?" Harthsol questioned, wondering why in the world they had a dragon.

Well the bigger the pie, the bigger the oven. And since we make very big pies we needed a very big oven. so I thought 'why not use a dragon?', so we did." Brofendur told me. "would you like to try some?"

Harthsol felt his stomach rumble, "Of course" he replied, his mouth dribbling already. 

A fresh pie, recently cooked hung on a crane. It was lowered and then eventually carried by six dwarves up to us. Brofendur cut a large slice and offered it to Harthsol which he greedily accepted. The pie was the best he had had in a long while, stuffed full of meat and cooked to perfection. 

"This Is amazing" Harthsol managed through bites of pie, "but you know this is a enchanted pumpkin pie contest, not a meat pie contest right?"

"Of course" Brofendur replied, "we added a little bit of pumpkin for flavoring and as for being 'enchanted' I guess there is a little magic in the making so..." 

"Eh" Harthsol shrugged his shoulders "good enough for my standards, anyway, I doubt they care that much."

"Well that's good because I almost thought I might have to bribe yo..."

"Now before we finish up here I need you to answer a couple of questions" Harthsol interrupted "first off, where are the ingredients from?"

As our mountain is too cold to grow ingredients we order only the finest pastry from the furthest reaches of Kaliphin. As for the meat, That comes from the most tender beef farms of the isolated isles of Isaile, located in eastern Avalonia."

"Good, good, what about your work place condition?" 

"We keep a clean work area with a nonalcoholic policy" Brofendur told me proudly.

The work place looked clean enough but Harthsol did not think the nonalcoholic policy was enforced enough by the look of the drunk sagged behind a couple of barrels. "Well thank you for your time Mr Fuhnt, I will tell my lord to expect you at the official judging of the pies and long live Lord Raavage."

"Thank you captain and long live Lord Raavage, the true king of all Historica."

29929763735_9c032f8d99_z.jpgBrofendur's kitchen by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

Brofedur's Kitchen

29303160003_96539ec162_z.jpgBrofendur's kitchen by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

Brofendur and Harthsol on the balcony and Kaliphin merchants.

29895235526_0f455e9c5d_z.jpgBrofendur's kitchen by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

The dragon (with light brick on)

Spoiler

Not to be judged- extra photo

29846392221_e81f92af53_z.jpgBrofendur's kitchen by Jed  cameron, on Flickr

A lot of Blood (not really), sweat and tears went into this. It is by far my most complex moc yet and really really dodgy. You see, this moc took a little fall off my desk. When I put the chunks back together I found:
A. the base was uneven and the whole thing was on a slight lean.
B. I couldn't stack the bricks tightly together since it would risk breaking the rock work.
Despite this I carried on and eventually built my best moc yet (In my opinion).
This week (about a month ago now) has also been incredibly busy for me, With my show I was in ending, school finishing for the holidays and my birthday (10 years with Lego :D). As always c&c welcomed and hope you enjoy.

Sorry I had to use a sheet, it was too big for my normal layout.

Edited by The Maestro

Finally! At least the dwarfs know how to bake a pie properly! Really nice build. :wink:

Edited by kahir88

Looks good, Maestro! I can see some SK influences in the windows there, and probably in the snow as well. I like the use of minifig hands as little icicles dripping off of the leaves of the tree. This is also, in my opinion, some of your best stonework yet, with the limited use of textures and colors. It is very effective: interesting without being distracting. The cart is also impressive, as is the dragon head; I just wish I could see more of the dragon! Even the base/edging looks good, making it look sharp and clean. I do not have too much to say as far as ways to improve it, as it is very well done, but perhaps strengthen that crane a little as it seems a bit insufficient for the load...

Easily your best build to date! I love it, the snow- and rock-work are awesomely done, and the dragon is just superb. Man, you have improved a lot!

hey hey nice rock-work and I love those windows! I also agree with Henjin: the texture of the wall is nice and balanced.

.. vegetarian dragon lol xD

On 20/10/2016 at 8:31 PM, kahir88 said:

Finally! At least the dwarfs know how to bake a pie properly! Really nice build. :wink:

Yeah, at last I had the courage to write a story :tongue: As every one knows dwarves are the master of pie making :grin:

On 21/10/2016 at 1:04 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Looks good, Maestro! I can see some SK influences in the windows there, and probably in the snow as well. I like the use of minifig hands as little icicles dripping off of the leaves of the tree. This is also, in my opinion, some of your best stonework yet, with the limited use of textures and colors. It is very effective: interesting without being distracting. The cart is also impressive, as is the dragon head; I just wish I could see more of the dragon! Even the base/edging looks good, making it look sharp and clean. I do not have too much to say as far as ways to improve it, as it is very well done, but perhaps strengthen that crane a little as it seems a bit insufficient for the load...

Thanks Henjin, this stone work was very basic as I had to build alot of it, I agree with you on the crane, probbaly should have  been a little stronger.

On 21/10/2016 at 3:03 AM, TitusV said:

Easily your best build to date! I love it, the snow- and rock-work are awesomely done, and the dragon is just superb. Man, you have improved a lot!

Thanks Titus, I some how achieved the exact look I wanted with the rock and snow work. The dragon was really fun to make as well. It is defiently my best build to date but that may soon change...

On 21/10/2016 at 5:52 AM, ZCerberus said:

Nice work.  Lots to view here.

Thanks ZCerberus, glad you like it.

1 hour ago, en_zoo said:

hey hey nice rock-work and I love those windows! I also agree with Henjin: the texture of the wall is nice and balanced.

.. vegetarian dragon lol xD

I love those windows aswell and as I said the rockwork is my best to date. 

Now I think about it a vegetariam dragon does seem rather strange, I can just imagine it grazing in a paddock :laugh:

A little surprising to see Mitgardian dwarves making Nocturnus pumkpin pies :look:

Excellent build though! The angled sections around the dragon cave are great, and I like the wooden sections incorporated into the stone walls :thumbup:

Your blood sweat and tears really paid off. A very complex build, especially the touches of lighting and rock work. 

An impressive build and great idea, not a hole I'd want to fall into :look::grin: The light up dragon head is very well done, and so is the pie! The layers of rock work with the kitchen in between is nicely done, a fantastic entry! 

On 24/10/2016 at 11:12 AM, soccerkid6 said:

A little surprising to see Mitgardian dwarves making Nocturnus pumkpin pies :look:

Excellent build though! The angled sections around the dragon cave are great, and I like the wooden sections incorporated into the stone walls :thumbup:

Well we all know mitgardians make the best pies (besides Avalonians:tongue:). Alot of your work really inspired me do this build and the wooden sections were mostly your design. Thanks for being inspiring :thumbup:

On 24/10/2016 at 1:44 PM, Blufiji said:

Your blood sweat and tears really paid off. A very complex build, especially the touches of lighting and rock work. 

Haha yeah, It defiently is more complex than it looks, and the rock work is easily my best so far.

18 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

An impressive build and great idea, not a hole I'd want to fall into :look::grin: The light up dragon head is very well done, and so is the pie! The layers of rock work with the kitchen in between is nicely done, a fantastic entry! 

Thanks Legofin, the dragon head was a peice of last minute advice which I incoperated. And the pie was lots of fun to experiment with.

Excellent story and build!

The different plateaus work really well with the snow/rock work/stone/windows combinations. 

The dragon is awesome, emerging from the murk, and I love the idea and execution of the dwarven buildings in this MOC. :thumbup:

On 26/10/2016 at 0:58 AM, Puvel said:

Excellent story and build!

The different plateaus work really well with the snow/rock work/stone/windows combinations. 

Thanks Puval, the story was really fun to write and im glad you think all the elements work together :laugh:

On 26/10/2016 at 1:23 PM, mrcp6d said:

The dragon is awesome, emerging from the murk, and I love the idea and execution of the dwarven buildings in this MOC. :thumbup:

I really wanted to give it the real dwarven feel as usually I just build more human structures. The dragon was loads of fun to create,  tryin to get it to look natural and all.

Excellent build, Maestro :thumbup: The mix of rockwork and wall is superb, and the dragon pit was a nice touch. 
Great job with the tree and snow-scaping up top too :classic:

Oh man, this is cool! I like the different levels of this build, really adds some dimension. Lots of little details to enjoy, but that dragon obviously steals the show. Nice rock work too and great use of the light brick, very effective illustration! 

Sorry to hear about the troubles you had with the build. I've had my accidents before (once, actually involving automobiles!) and I know it is very frustrating. 

Wow, very neat entry here, Maestro! :pir-wink:  The rock-work, stone, and wooden dwarven architecture somehow mix very well, and the crane and dragon are excellent as well! :thumbup:  A very nice kitchen throughout, and it's neat to see an entry to this located in Mitgardia! :classic:

You might not have the bricks to do it, but I would think that building the black border down all the way around would add a lot to the stability of the build, and would probably look a little better as well :grin:  Overall, excellent build though!

On 29/10/2016 at 7:33 AM, LittleJohn said:

Excellent build, Maestro :thumbup: The mix of rockwork and wall is superb, and the dragon pit was a nice touch. 
Great job with the tree and snow-scaping up top too :classic:

Thanks LJ, Im just releived it came together, yet alone looked good.

On 29/10/2016 at 8:52 AM, MassEditor said:

Oh man, this is cool! I like the different levels of this build, really adds some dimension. Lots of little details to enjoy, but that dragon obviously steals the show. Nice rock work too and great use of the light brick, very effective illustration! 

Sorry to hear about the troubles you had with the build. I've had my accidents before (once, actually involving automobiles!) and I know it is very frustrating. 

At least when something breaks i try make it 10 times stronger when I rebuild it, so its almost a good thing it fell down when it wasn't complete:tongue:. Thanks, the rock work is defiently my best to date.

9 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Wow, very neat entry here, Maestro! :pir-wink:  The rock-work, stone, and wooden dwarven architecture somehow mix very well, and the crane and dragon are excellent as well! :thumbup:  A very nice kitchen throughout, and it's neat to see an entry to this located in Mitgardia! :classic:

You might not have the bricks to do it, but I would think that building the black border down all the way around would add a lot to the stability of the build, and would probably look a little better as well :grin:  Overall, excellent build though!

A brick border would have looked way better but as you said, I was kind of low on bricks :tongue: oh well, next time I will try.

It was fun to take a break from all the nocty and avalonian build I was doing so mitgardia seemed the perfect place :classic: